Community service mini medal

Started by darkmatter, June 23, 2017, 01:24:10 PM

darkmatter

Hey guy,

Trying to find all the mini medals that correspond with my ribbons. On vanguard I can't find the community service mini medal does it exsist? It would be a shame if it doesint

N6RVT

Quote from: darkmatter on June 23, 2017, 01:24:10 PM
Hey guy,

Trying to find all the mini medals that correspond with my ribbons. On vanguard I can't find the community service mini medal does it exist? It would be a shame if it doesn't

There is no corresponding medal.  There probably should be,but remember this was originally a cadet-only award.

darkmatter

To bad I can't take the command medal and with a blue and red sharpie switch the two lines

N6RVT

Quote from: darkmatter on June 23, 2017, 01:33:17 PM
To bad I can't take the command medal and with a blue and red sharpie switch the two lines

I wish my CAC ribbon had a medal.  Not only would it really stand out, but it looks good to be a 59 year old and have one of those.

I also wish they had adopted "Black Tie" as the corporate equivalent of Mess Dress, but that doesn't seem to have gotten out of committee.  I never replaced my Mess Dress after the Black & White version went out.

darkmatter

Oh no I completely didint know they don't have cap cac medal... well that makes two medals I can't have to show my full ribbon equivalents

Abby.L

Quote from: darkmatter on June 23, 2017, 01:54:43 PM
Oh no I completely didint know they don't have cap cac medal... well that makes two medals I can't have to show my full ribbon equivalents

You'll notice that this is a fairly common occurrence not just in CAP, but in the military as well. The military generally reserves Medals(Mini and regular) for medals(ie, National service medal, global war on terrorism medal) even though medals come in both a medal and ribbon form. This differs from things like the AF training ribbon, which only comes in a ribbon as the name would suggest.

This isn't to say that CAP should practice real military practices like this, otherwise we'd really only have the SMOV and BMOV in medal forms, but it could be an insight to why we only have some ribbons that have a corresponding medal. This, and like N6RVT said, things like the CAC and community service ribbons were intended to be cadet only, with no real occasion to wear the mini medal on cadet uniforms.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Quote from: Levi Lockling on June 25, 2017, 06:01:03 PMThis, and like N6RVT said, things like the CAC and community service ribbons were intended to be cadet only, with no real occasion to wear the mini medal on cadet uniforms.

This is the most likely reason.

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

I feel like the mini medals should be updated that's my opinain

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: darkmatter on June 25, 2017, 06:20:47 PM
I feel like the mini medals should be updated that's my opinain

Mighty expensive proposition to produce... creating dies for the medal, approval process, etc. Not every award CAP presents needs to be produced in full or miniature size.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

darkmatter

That's why I said opinain because me and you feel differently about it and that fine.... the cac is all white that wouldint be that hard and they have the command medal so all they'd have to do for that one is switch the red and blue stripes to have the community service ribbon

N6RVT

Quote from: darkmatter on June 25, 2017, 06:20:47 PM
I feel like the mini medals should be updated that's my opinion

In my case I have about 35 ribbons
Of which 18 have miniature medals
and only seven have full size medals

So as you can see, from miniature to full size medals there is a second wave of attrition.  In CAP its essentially everything, as only two CAP medals come in a full size version and are never worn again after they are presented.

All actual military medals come in both sizes,  but both CAP and USCGAUX have no occasion to wear full size medals so they are not made that way.

darkmatter

I wounder why we can't wear the one of three full medals

James Shaw

Quote from: darkmatter on June 25, 2017, 08:17:04 PM
I wounder why we can't wear the one of three full medals

I have seen several recipients wear them on their suspenders when in mess dress. Not the same but it is a way.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

darkmatter

Where can I buy mess dress speaking of medals

MSG Mac

Quote from: darkmatter on June 25, 2017, 09:42:03 PM

MCSS, Thrift Shops, Airman's Attic
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

I have a jacket for sale in the "For sale" section of this forum.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: darkmatter on June 25, 2017, 09:42:03 PM

If you're a cadet, mess dress is not authorized for wear. You can wear the semi-formal uniform (service dress uniform with white shirt and no nametag).

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

darkmatter

Nope I'm a 1st Lt former c/Lt Col

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Levi Lockling on June 25, 2017, 06:01:03 PM
This isn't to say that CAP should practice real military practices like this, otherwise we'd really only have the SMOV and BMOV in medal forms, but it could be an insight to why we only have some ribbons that have a corresponding medal. This, and like N6RVT said, things like the CAC and community service ribbons were intended to be cadet only, with no real occasion to wear the mini medal on cadet uniforms.

Three. The Distinguished Service Medal has a full-size version. Whether CAP has any more in stock, who knows, but yes, it's the DSM, not the DSA.

We have too many ribbons that have mini medal versions.
-- Should an activity ribbon have a medal? Doubtful.
-- Should a cadet award have a medal? I don't think you can make a great case for it.
-- Should a training ribbon have a medal? I mean, really. The Membership Award is given for breathing at the six-month mark. The Leadership Award pretty much mirrors what's on a CGO's shoulders. Big whoop. No need for that medal.

That said, the top five should be medals, instead of the top three, and commendation awards should be considered for medals. Flame away.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.