Easiest and Hardest ribbons to attain?

Started by jfkspotting, June 17, 2017, 07:15:10 PM

jfkspotting

I would have thought the "Find Ribbon" and the "international cadet exchange" was the hardest to obtain, while the "community service" and "CAC" ribbons were the easiest?

Are certain ribbons much harder to obtain?

PhoenixRisen

Red Service Ribbon... easiest for sure.  All you need to do is breathe, pay your dues, and not do anything stupid for 2+ years...   8)

SarDragon

Find can be difficult, in terms of opportunity, but I think The Spaatz Award remains the most difficult to earn, based on the amount of effort required.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Distinguished Service Medal-95% go to Wing , Region commanders, and National Staff Officers
Silver Medal of Valor: Have to put your life on the line to save anothers.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 18, 2017, 04:56:51 AM

Does that have to be while "on duty" for CAP?  Or could one earn it for say rescuing someone from drowning while not on a CAP mission, exercise or whatever?
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: jfkspotting on June 17, 2017, 07:15:10 PM
I would have thought the "Find Ribbon" and the "international cadet exchange" was the hardest to obtain, while the "community service" and "CAC" ribbons were the easiest?

Are certain ribbons much harder to obtain?

Hardest or easiest to obtain? They're all the same. Obtain them by sending your order to Vanguard along with payment.

Hardest to earn? That's a completely different question. But not an easy one to answer until you define hardest and easiest. And after that comes relativity. IACE is easy to earn - just go, don't embarrass yourself, then come back. Of course, you don't get to go without applying and getting selected, and the selection process could conceivably look back over several years worth of a cadet's career. Meaning that the application process could have been underway before a cadet even knew what IACE was.

Silver Medal of Valor doesn't have to be hard to earn. But known risk to self must be present.

Personally, I worked much harder to earn my Mitchell than I did to earn my Earhart.

You're really not going to get a satisfactory answer. All of the awards are different, serve different purposes and have different criteria. Easiness or hardness is very much an individual thing.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

ColonelJack

From my own (admittedly unique - as is all of our) experience, the hardest for me to earn was the Gill Robb Wilson award.

I had to put in a LOT of hours on that one, and had to get the four levels previous to that as well.

The easiest?  Gotta agree with the Red Service Ribbon.  Exist for two years, pay your dues, and don't do anything dumb, and it's yours.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

N6RVT

So it is possible to get a red service ribbon without ever completing level 1?

MSG Mac

Quote from: N6RVT on June 18, 2017, 05:37:13 PM

Just pay the renewal fee, but be an active member.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: N6RVT on June 18, 2017, 05:37:13 PM

Yep.  Literally.... breathe, pay dues, and behave.

Eclipse

"b. Red Service Ribbon. Awarded at the end of 2 years (as a cadet or senior member in good standing)."

Don't even have to be "active".

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2017, 05:52:20 PM
"b. Red Service Ribbon. Awarded at the end of 2 years (as a cadet or senior member in good standing)."

Don't even have to be "active".

True dat. I have two clasps worth of "breathe, pay dues, and behave".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 18, 2017, 11:39:41 AM
From my own (admittedly unique - as is all of our) experience, the hardest for me to earn was the Gill Robb Wilson award.

I had to put in a LOT of hours on that one, and had to get the four levels previous to that as well.

The easiest?  Gotta agree with the Red Service Ribbon.  Exist for two years, pay your dues, and don't do anything dumb, and it's yours.

Jack

Would agree with you there.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

NC Hokie

I submit that the Unit Citation Ribbon can be the easiest ribbon of all to earn.  A new member can join CAP near the end of the citation period (even on the very last day), do nothing to contribute to the success that the unit is being cited for, and wear the ribbon with the rest of the unit when the NHQ personnel action announcing the award is published.

Of course, it can also be among the hardest to earn if you're one of the major contributors to the success that the award is given for.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

chuckmilam

Distinguished Service Medal-95% go to Wing , Region commanders, and National Staff Officers
Also known as the "Commander's Good Conduct Medal."

Eclipse

Which is correct as that is the scope of that award.  A DSA, by regulation, requires impact at the national level and CSAG
approval. I can't imagine an activity or staff service that had a scope of less then Region-level which would also rise to the attention of the CSAG.

See 39-3 Page 6:  https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on June 18, 2017, 06:07:53 AM

Does that have to be while "on duty" for CAP?  Or could one earn it for say rescuing someone from drowning while not on a CAP mission, exercise or whatever?

Not an award that one really goes hunting for but to answer your question, no.  There is no requirement that the saving of a life must be performed "on behalf of CAP" or while "on duty". 

There are cases of the SMOV being awarded to members who run into a burning house on the way to/from a CAP event... and there are cases of the SMOV being awarded to members who run into a burning house on the way to/from the grocery store.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

BuckeyeDEJ

The Membership Award is among the easiest ribbons to obtain, because, frankly, it doesn't require as much effort as it should. And it should probably die, anyway, since in almost all cases, it's a double award (the other one being a promotion).

The Red Service Ribbon is awarded for longevity, and that's all. So I guess that's the easiest, though certainly there are some that are a cakewalk.

My Yeager Award ribbon was darned easy, but then again, I was a cadet back when the Mitchell exam was nothing but a comprehensive aerospace exam as a capstone for Phase II. I SHOULD have known all the answers (and did).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Adam B

Easiest and hardest is open to a lot of interpretation when it comes to awards.
It would stand to reason that the less common awards are "harder" to get, like the decorations and mission-related ribbons. But at the same time, I think the people who do get those awards look at their service with a "just doing my job" attitude, and may not see it as anything particularly "hard".

As an example, I have a disaster relief ribbon with V device.
I got it years ago by volunteering to help local emergency services during a disaster. I rode around with them, laying sandbags to protect peoples homes, identifying and marking areas where the road had washed away, and, ironically enough, transporting water.
I don't think I did anything that was difficult in itself, but it is still "hard" to earn in the sense that you can't just make a disaster happen.
A "Find" ribbon would be another example. You could get the ribbon spending a day making coffee and taking notes as an MSA, but you can't just make a mission happen.

On the flip side, the "easy" cadet recruiting ribbon was actually pretty difficult for me, because all of my friends were people already in CAP. 

Of all my ribbons, I would say that the membership ribbon ties with all the cadet achievements (except Arnold) and the Yeager as the "easiest", and the "hardest" one I've earned was my NCC ribbon with stars.
Adam

Offutteer

I think that the Frank F. Borman Falcon Award, the Wartime Service Ribbon, the Blue Service Ribbon and the White Service Ribbon would be the most difficult to get, since they aren't awarded anymore...