Main Menu

On-Base Stores

Started by jfkspotting, June 17, 2017, 07:13:36 PM

jfkspotting

I've heard that I can purchase decent uniforms from the second-hand thrift stores at certain airbases.

I'm out on long island, NY: headed to the 190th airlift at Stratton ANGB this summer. Will there be an opportunity to find a base store and get some uniform supplies?

Where would be my nearest option? Willing to drive a couple hours. Is anyone allowed to go in and buy uniforms?

Eclipse

All questions best answered by people in your area.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Usually the Thrift Store will have a facebook or web page.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Al Sayre

In my humble experience, NG bases do not generally have a full blown MCSS store, but rather a small "general store" or mini-mart that will have some uniform accessories, and maybe a few common uniform items like hats, belts, and shoes.  However, they will generally order uniform items for you and you can have them shipped to your home - just be absolutely sure of your correct sizes before you order.  They also may not have a thrift store.  As noted above, YMMV.  Check with the locals, they will have more info.  Also, if they don't deal with CAP often it's a good idea to have a copy of CAPR 147-1 with you.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

coudano

Yeah a small guard base probably won't have a thrift shop or airman's attic, either.

Ozzy

Gabreski doesn't have an AAFES or Military Clothing Store... it only has a Coast Guard Exchange which means they don't really carry many USAF uniforms. Last July, they only had Coast Guard uniforms in addition to the usual convenience store items and Class VI items so don't expect that Gabreski is going to have anything for your squadron... By the way, 85% of the questions you ask here could be answered at your squadron, you don't need to ask them here first.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Luis R. Ramos

For some, asking here is just so tactikewl...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

CyBorgII

Quote from: Ozzy on June 20, 2017, 12:23:24 AM
Gabreski doesn't have an AAFES or Military Clothing Store... it only has a Coast Guard Exchange which means they don't really carry many USAF uniforms.

There is some overlap between CG and USAF uniform items, so one could get some items needed for CAP at a CG Exchange; i.e., the light-blue shirts, the waist-length windbreaker, the pullover "Wooly Pully" jumper and blue trenchcoat are all used by both the CG and the USAF. 

Having had some of those items from my CAP days was helpful to me when I joined the CGAUX.

However, I do not know if CAP members are permitted to shop at CG Exchanges.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

N6RVT

Quote from: CyBorgII on June 26, 2017, 04:24:33 PM
[Having had some of those items from my CAP days was helpful to me when I joined the CGAUX.

One widespread mistake is that the pants are not the same.  USCG pants have conventional slanted front pockets.  USAF pants all have front pockets that open along the seam.   Its easier to spot than the color difference.

CyBorgII

Quote from: N6RVT on June 27, 2017, 06:10:19 AM
One widespread mistake is that the pants are not the same.  USCG pants have conventional slanted front pockets.  USAF pants all have front pockets that open along the seam.   Its easier to spot than the color difference.

The material is slightly different too.  As for the colour, one really has to put the two side-by-side to pick out the subtle difference.

However, I am a bit surprised that an exchange on a USAF/ANG facility (Gabreski ANGB) doesn't have more AF items.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

SarDragon

We're back to that nasty old "economy of scale" problem. There can be minimums involved in ordering this stuff, and much of it can end up sitting on shelves for months, if not years, due to low demand. Available shelf space can also be a factor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret