Different Types of ABU's?

Started by jfkspotting, June 17, 2017, 07:04:55 PM

jfkspotting

I've been noticing that my squadron has been converting to ABU's quite a bit, however, some uniforms, when fresh out of the box, have appeared a different shade than others.

I would have thought the shade and coloring were standardized, as it appears, in my opinion, that the Propper/U.S Patriot tactical ABU's look more authentic to the USAF uniform, while the Vanguard ABU's are noticably brighter, in more contrast.

Is it just me, or are there different types of ABU's floating around?

Abby.L

Some of the stuff that Vanguard sells isn't "USAF spec" and are intended for CAP use only, so may not be a consistent shade. Also, the ABU is a 10+ year old uniform: some will be more faded depending on amount of use, environment, and age, just as what happens to the BDUs.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Search is your friend. This issue has been discussed many times here.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

The Air Force never officially admitted to this but there were at least 2 different shades.  Looks like it was a quality control (or lack of) issue that allowed for multiple color versions.

lordmonar

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 18, 2017, 04:31:31 PM
The Air Force never officially admitted to this but there were at least 2 different shades.  Looks like it was a quality control (or lack of) issue that allowed for multiple color versions.
Oh....they admitted to it.   They fessed up the first year they produced ABUs and said that there were issues with consistency of the colors.  They issued official policy to us  (AD NCOs) that it the shirt and pants did not match that it was okay.f
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

kwe1009

Quote from: lordmonar on June 18, 2017, 04:37:07 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on June 18, 2017, 04:31:31 PM
Oh....they admitted to it.   They fessed up the first year they produced ABUs and said that there were issues with consistency of the colors.  They issued official policy to us  (AD NCOs) that it the shirt and pants did not match that it was okay.f

I must have missed that.  I'm in the AF too.  I just love how communications "work."

audiododd

I THINK I remember it being in 36-2903 saying that different shades were allowed to be worn together.  I don't think it's in there anymore with the new RABUs, but I honestly haven't looked for it.

Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Luis R. Ramos

Link to 36-2903 18 Jul 2011 and changes.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf

Did not see any info regarding different shades. If you think you saw it on this instruction it may have been on a previous version or a previous addition or change.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Panther

The Vanguard ABU's are a knockoff of the real thing. Within the legitimate versions of the uniform however, there is a 50/50 nylon poly version that is standard, and a 100% cotton version used in medical.

USAFA '20

PHall

Well, there are three "types" of ABU's out there right now.
The "standard" issue ones.
The Rip-Stop ABU's, aka RABU's.
The 100% Cotton ABU's that were made for wear by maintenance folks who work around explosive environments like Aircraft Fuel Cell repair.
Everybody can wear the standard and RABU's, just don't mix them. The 100% Cotton ABU's are not authorized for wear by CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 07, 2017, 02:03:44 AMThe 100% Cotton ABU's are not authorized for wear by CAP.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/1220/0/filename/UPDATED+ABU+wear+instructions+%2824+October+2016%29.pdf

"Airman Battle Uniform (ABU), Men's and Women's. ABUs may be worn off base for short convenience stops
and when eating at restaurants where people wear comparable civilian attire. Do not wear ABUs off base to eat in
restaurants where most diners wear business attire or at establishments that operate primarily to serve alcohol.
ABUs purchased through Army Air Force Exchange Stores (AAFES) Military Clothing Sales Stores (MCSS), or
issued through Individual Equipment Elements or contract equivalent, are certified as fully compliant with all
specifications. If personnel choose to use personal funds to purchase from non-AAFES suppliers, the uniform must
be fully compliant. Females may wear the male version of the ABU. CAP members may wear either the 50%
cotton/50% nylon ABU or the 100% cotton ABU.
"

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Well, there seems to be a difference in opinion between the Air Force and CAP. We'll see how long that lasts.

Summery of changes letter for the 7 Feb 2017 change to AFI36-2903.

5.1. Airman Battle Uniform (ABU), Men's, Women's, and Maternity. ABUs may be worn off base for short convenience stops and when eating at restaurants where people wear comparable civilian attire. Do not wear ABUs off base to eat in restaurants where most diners wear business attire or at establishments that operate primarily to serve alcohol. Do not starch the ABU. Ironing of ABUs and center creasing of enlisted chevrons is authorized; however, repeated hot pressing or heavy ironing accelerates the overall wear of the fabric. Mixing and matching of the heavy weight version of the ABU and Ripstop Airman Battle Uniform (RABU) coat/trouser is not authorized. ABUs purchased by Air Force personnel through Army Air Force Exchange Stores (AAFES) Military Clothing Sales Stores (MCSS), or issued through Individual Equipment Elements or contract equivalent, are certified as fully compliant with all specifications. No other suppliers are approved for organizational/unit purchases, or any appropriated or GWOT funds expenditures. If personnel choose to use personal funds to purchase from non-AAFES suppliers, the Air Force is not responsible if the uniform is not fully compliant. Females may wear the male version of the ABU. NOTE: The 100% cotton ABU is not a 'summer weight' version or 'light weight' alternative for the 50% cotton/50% nylon ABU. The 100% cotton ABU is a distinctive uniform/equipment item developed and authorized specifically for Airmen in jobs that have occupational safety and health administration (OSHA) requirements for wear. It is not authorized or intended for wear by all Airmen.

Ozzy

Quote from: PHall on July 07, 2017, 04:21:48 AM
Well, there seems to be a difference in opinion between the Air Force and CAP. We'll see how long that lasts.

Good thing we follow CAPM 39-1/ICLs for this rather then AFIs. Heck, we don't even need to wear USAF-approved ABUs just as long as they have the ABU pattern as shown by what Vanguard sells...
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

PHall

Quote from: Ozzy on July 07, 2017, 04:30:58 AM

Good thing we follow CAPM 39-1/ICLs for this rather then AFIs. Heck, we don't even need to wear USAF-approved ABUs just as long as they have the ABU pattern as shown by what Vanguard sells...

Well considering that AAFES does not sell the 100% Cotton ABU's, the only ones CAP might get would be used ones that were turned in or some off-brand knock offs.

stillamarine

Quote from: PHall on July 08, 2017, 12:30:33 AM
Quote from: Ozzy on July 07, 2017, 04:30:58 AM

Well considering that AAFES does not sell the 100% Cotton ABU's, the only ones CAP might get would be used ones that were turned in or some off-brand knock offs.

Good thing CAP doesn't issue everyone ABUs.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PA Guy

It just goes on and on...........

etodd

Quote from: PA Guy on July 08, 2017, 02:56:13 AM
It just goes on and on...........

Long live the polo.
Simple, no fuss, no ironing, a range of gray pants works just fine, and no worries.   8)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PA Guy

Works for me.

For those who care the CAP Pomposity Annual Banquet will be happening in San Antonio on 2 Sep. It positively oozes pomposity with seniors squeezing their overstuffed bodies into a mess dress uniform. And every year it is ignored since many of the transgressors are senior leadership. Yet some poor senior who dares to wear a military award or decoration on their white airline shirt is chastised.

NIN

Quote from: PA Guy on July 08, 2017, 05:09:35 AM
Yet some poor senior who dares to wear a military award or decoration on their white airline shirt is chastised.

Your whole post was a non-sequitur unrelated to the OP.

Yes, there's a problem with the enforcement of the published height and weight standards across the organization.  (considering its even a standard the USAF doesn't use anymore)

Military awards and decorations on the corporate uniform, however, goes against the longstanding "don't mix civilian and military". 

"But the VFW and the Legion do it all the time!"

They're not the official auxiliary of the Air Force.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.