What is the maximum number of ribbons as a C/SSGT

Started by jfkspotting, June 14, 2017, 11:33:15 PM

jfkspotting

I just saw a SSGT on instagram featuring almost 8-9 ribbons. No, he is not in JROTC: however, he declined to comment how he obtained these ribbons.

In addition to regular promotion ribbons, what other ones can you receive?

Other than encampment, recruiting, and cadet advisory council, are there others?

Castle Bravo

Guess there is the Color guard competition, NCSA, community service, search find, and disaster relief ribbons to name just a few of the most likely in my opinion.

Ozzy

Ribbon Chart: http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/Cap.gif

Technically, a c/SSgt would be able to wear ~29 CAP ribbons if he/she was awarded everything they could get, ~32 if he/she was demoted 3 achievements.

However, 9 ribbons isn't too hard to get as a c/SSgt. Most likely 4 for achievements, Encampment, Recruiting, Red Service, Find, and CAC or maybe Color Guard Competition... why don't you tell us what he is wearing based upon the chart I provided?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

almostspaatz

That's not entirely unreasonable, the list below outlines some ribbons that could be earned with the grade of C/SSgt (hypothetically). IACE is another special ribbon that could be earned (but must be a C/Capt over 16 to attend).

Cadet Recruiter
Encampment
NCSA
CAC
NCGC
NCC
Community Service
Homeland Sec (Unlikely)
Disaster relief
Air Search and Rescue (must be over 18...)
Find

Red Service Ribbon (2 or more years)
VFW NCO
AFSA NCO

+ 4 promotion ribbons

Potentially:
Unit Citation
National Commander's Unit Citation
Lifesaving Award
Achievement Award
Commander's Commendation
Meritorious Service, etc....
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Spam

Disagree on CAC; that's clearly a cadet officer function, properly run by the program. Inappropriate for a C/SSGT to be an alternate, let alone a primary rep (ribbon).

Additionally, no cadet who has been in long enough to amass that many special activity ribbons should have been approved to do so if still a C/SSGT, in that they've failed to advance their education and training rapidly during such a time period. They need to be advancing, not just focusing on events.

Consider though that any guy who was a member of a unit being awarded a unit citation can wear it, or when a blanket award is given out (e.g., the CT Wing CC reportedly recently gave an Oprah-style blanket award to all cadets in the Wing, regardless of individual performance).

V/r
Spam

THRAWN

Quote from: almostspaatz on June 15, 2017, 12:03:18 AM

How do you figure that? You might want to go hit the books on that claim.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ozzy

Quote from: Spam on June 15, 2017, 11:17:31 AM

Disagree on CAC; that's clearly a cadet officer function, properly run by the program. Inappropriate for a C/SSGT to be an alternate, let alone a primary rep (ribbon).

Additionally, no cadet who has been in long enough to amass that many special activity ribbons should have been approved to do so if still a C/SSGT, in that they've failed to advance their education and training rapidly during such a time period. They need to be advancing, not just focusing on events.

Consider though that any guy who was a member of a unit being awarded a unit citation can wear it, or when a blanket award is given out (e.g., the CT Wing CC reportedly recently gave an Oprah-style blanket award to all cadets in the Wing, regardless of individual performance).

V/r
Spam

Not necessarily, I personally knew a cadet WIWAC that joined in the beginning of the year, did an early spring encampment, went to two NCSAs during the summer (HAWK and something else), and was very active in ES as they wanted to go into the Army and be a medic.

The whole oath about training rapidly does not just mean promotions and taking achievement testing, but about maturing, becoming more disciplined, and learning to be a better leader IMO.Hence why we can (and should) hold cadets back if they aren't 'ready' yet for the advanced promotion
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

kwe1009

V/r
Spam

I agree with your statement but I have seen many primary CAC reps in multiple Wings below the rank of C/TSgt.  I have even seen at C/SrA.  I don't agree with it but I don't believe there is any reg against it.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 15, 2017, 02:52:29 PM

I agree with your statement but I have seen many primary CAC reps in multiple Wings below the rank of C/TSgt.  I have even seen at C/SrA.  I don't agree with it but I don't believe there is any reg against it.

+1 Very common.

As to how many ribbons vs. progression, they are not mutually exclusive.  There are wings and regions that hand out UCs like
candy to anyone on the roster, I've seen sub-NCO cadets with 4. We recently discussed a wing here that was promising ACHs to cadets who hadn't even joined yet.

Go to both weeks of NESA, that's two, plus we encourage encampment the first year, and a liberal CC giving out CSRs for "stuff done whenever", etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: jfkspotting on June 14, 2017, 11:33:15 PM
I just saw a SSGT on instagram featuring almost 8-9 ribbons. No, he is not in JROTC: however, he declined to comment how he obtained these ribbons.

In addition to regular promotion ribbons, what other ones can you receive?

Other than encampment, recruiting, and cadet advisory council, are there others?

Unless you are in his chain of command, why do you care?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2017, 03:16:05 PM

+1 Very common.

As to how many ribbons vs. progression, they are not mutually exclusive.  There are wings and regions that hand out UCs like
candy to anyone on the roster, I've seen sub-NCO cadets with 4. We recently discussed a wing here that was promising ACHs to cadets who hadn't even joined yet.

Go to both weeks of NESA, that's two, plus we encourage encampment the first year, and a liberal CC giving out CSRs for "stuff done whenever", etc., etc.

Yep. A cadet wearing a C/SSgt, even as a fast burner is close to a year in CAP. Might be 2 or more. In that time, it's not hard to get 4 achievement ribbons, an NCSA ribbon, Encampment, Recruiter, Red Service and a Find. That's 9 right there, with pretty much zero real effort.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: almostspaatz on June 15, 2017, 12:03:18 AM
That's not entirely unreasonable, the list below outlines some ribbons that could be earned with the grade of C/SSgt (hypothetically). IACE is another special ribbon that could be earned (but must be a C/Capt over 16 to attend).

Cadet Recruiter
Encampment
NCSA
CAC
NCGC
NCC
Community Service
Homeland Sec (Unlikely)
Disaster relief
Find

Red Service Ribbon (2 or more years)
VFW NCO
AFSA NCO

+ 4 promotion ribbons

Potentially:
Unit Citation
National Commander's Unit Citation
Lifesaving Award
Achievement Award
Commander's Commendation
Meritorious Service, etc....

Oddly enough the Air Search and Rescue ribbon is awarded to Ground Teams & Mission Base Staff. The Bronze prop on it indicates it was done as air crew.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on June 15, 2017, 09:03:38 PM

Oddly enough the Air Search and Rescue ribbon is awarded to Ground Teams & Mission Base Staff. The Bronze prop on it indicates it was done as air crew.

I've yet to see a CAP "Air Rescue", so that makes sense.

PHall

One thing that many people forget is that the 2 months between promotions is the minimum time and that 3 to 4 months between promotions is not unusual.
Heck as long as a cadet does 2 promotions a year they're good to go. The slower pace hopefully allows maturity levels to keep up with the promotions.
Promoting a cadet before they're ready does not help the cadet. And one of the "more fun" jobs a squadron commander has is explaining that to the upset parents.

lordmonar

V/r
Spam

And remember.....every squadron has a CAC rep.....even if it is a new squadron with nothing but C/ABs. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on June 16, 2017, 07:03:24 AM

V/r
Spam

And remember.....every squadron has a CAC rep.....even if it is a new squadron with nothing but C/ABs.

No, they don't.

Toad1168

They may or may not have a rep at every squadron, but they have the ability.  And yes, it could be a brand new cadet if that is all they have available.  Will that rep be effective or hold office, not likely.  But they can indeed be a rep.
Toad

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toad1168 on June 16, 2017, 02:51:23 PM
They may or may not have a rep at every squadron, but they have the ability.  And yes, it could be a brand new cadet if that is all they have available.  Will that rep be effective or hold office, not likely.  But they can indeed be a rep.

Which is not the assertion Lordmonar made.

Fubar

Quote from: CAPR 52-16Composite and cadet squadron commanders appoint two cadet NCOs or officers, a wing (or group) representative and assistant. If the unit does not have cadet NCOs or officers available, the unit may leave the position vacant.

So it would seem NCOs are acceptable, and if you don't have phase 2, 3, or 4 cadets you don't have to have anyone on the CAC roster.

Storm Chaser

CAPR 52-16 had a requirement that CAC Representatives be cadet officers. That requirement changed a few years ago with a revision to CAPR 52-16. In theory, it should be an experienced cadet, preferably a cadet officer. But cadet NCOs are acceptable.

Eclipse

Not all wings even >have< a CAC, and there is no requirement a unit appoint a rep as there
is no way to compel a cadet to participate, especially if the meetings are well outside the cadets normal AO.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2017, 06:39:01 PM
Not all wings even >have< a CAC, and there is no requirement a unit appoint a rep as there
is no way to compel a cadet to participate, especially if the meetings are well outside the cadets normal AO.

It's funny, if I'm reading this right, there is a requirement to establish a CAC (CAPR 52-17 para 7-1), yet there is no requirement anyone be assigned to it (commanders may appoint).

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on June 16, 2017, 09:08:07 PM
It's funny, if I'm reading this right, there is a requirement to establish a CAC (CAPR 52-17 para 7-1), yet there is no requirement anyone be assigned to it (commanders may appoint).

Yep, another CAP "requirement", and if a wing doesn't have a CAC, it's just a ding on their CI.

"That Others May Zoom"