Honor guard and color guard cord

Started by Castle Bravo, June 06, 2017, 02:51:08 AM

Castle Bravo

So, my squadrons honor guard team is doing a presenting of the colors at a soccer game soon and we will be wearing all of the Honor guard stuff like the service cap but at the last meeting they made it seem like we'd be wearing the plain white cord instead of the silver honor guard cord, and this changed just recently because originally we were going to wear the honor guard one so I'm a bit confused, can anyone clarify what we should be wearing?

Eclipse

Presenting the colors at a soccer game is not an "Honor Guard" activity, it is a color guard activity,
therefore, the white cord, and color guard accouterments would be appropriate.

See CAPP 52-8 for the expectations and requirements of Honor Guards, which go far beyond the typical unit color guard:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_008_B38750453C56C.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

Castle Bravo

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2017, 03:07:48 AM
Presenting the colors at a soccer game is not an "Honor Guard" activity, it is a color guard activity,
therefore, the white cord, and color guard accouterments would be appropriate.

See CAPP 52-8 for the expectations and requirements of Honor Guards, which go far beyond the typical unit color guard:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_008_B38750453C56C.pdf
Well, the colors element is part of the honor guard and it just doesn't seem right to change cords just because we aren't doing a parade or somthing like that.

I'll go look at that manual

Eclipse

Again, "an element" does not an Honor Guard make, that argument would mean anyone who ever posted colors was
part of an HG.

And without putting too fine a point on it, if you are saying you're not familiar with
CAPP 52-8, then it sounds as if your unit has a color guard, not an Honor Guard, and shouldn't be wearing any of the
accouterments of an HG.

"That Others May Zoom"

Castle Bravo

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2017, 03:22:40 AM
Again, "an element" does not an Honor Guard make, that argument would mean anyone who ever posted colors was
part of an HG.

And without putting too fina e point on it, if you are saying you're not familiar with
CAPP 52-8, then it sounds as if your unit has a color guard, not an Honor Guard, and shouldn't be wearing any of the
accouterments of an HG.
Well our unit trained colors with the base honor guard of our local air force base and our seniors wanted us to be an actual honor guard but I see what you mean, I'll read through CAP 52-8 and work with the rest of my unit to learn everything we need to be considered honor guard.

kwe1009

If you have a properly trained CAP Honor Guard with all of the proper uniform items then you can wear the silver cord when performing any Honor Guard function, including a color guard.  There is nothing written anywhere that says Honor Guard members need to switch cords when doing a color guard.

Like Eclipse said, if you aren't familiar with CAPP 52-8 then you are not a CAP Honor Guard no matter how much training you have done with Air Force Honor Guardsmen.