Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2017, 04:39:06 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: Largest/Smallest/Median squadron 2017?
Pages: [1] 2  All Print
Author Topic: Largest/Smallest/Median squadron 2017?  (Read 1517 times)
jfkspotting

Unit: NER-NY-328

Instagram Acct:
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »

Anyone know what the largest squadron is in CAP, how many members are in it, and ow many aircraft they own?

Is there a way we can find out the largest squadron per wing?

What is the smallest squadron?

What is considered the median-sized squadron?

Mine has roughly 60+30 seniors. 2-3 Aircraft depending on month
etodd
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »

Keep in mind that whoever claims to have the largest number of dues paying members on the roll ... may not necessarily be the Squandron with the highest average turnout on meeting nights. LOL

Would be interesting to see all the membership stats alongside attendance records.
Майор Хаткевич
200,000th Post Author

Unit: GLR-IL-049

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »

2-3 Aircraft depending on month

That doesn't seem right.
Spaceman3750

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »

That doesn't seem right.

It's unusual for most wings but it does happen.
"Anyone can hold the helm when the seas are calm ... leadership is about weathering the storm."

The moment any commander or staff member considers themselves a gatekeeper, instead of a facilitator, they have failed at their job.
I can't fix all of CAP's problems, but I can lead from the bottom by building my squadron as a center of excellence to serve as an example of what every unit can be.
Майор Хаткевич
200,000th Post Author

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:53:44 PM »

That doesn't seem right.

It's unusual for most wings but it does happen.

We recently had 3 at our unit...but I'm me was a temp, one for sale, one regular. You'd think a big wing like NY would need a bigger spread.
jfkspotting

Instagram Acct:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

We usually have one stationed 182 and one stationed 206, and the visiting 172. We are the largest on LI and second largest after SYR in the state.
Ozzy
Seasoned Member

Unit: NY

NY-288 Squadron Website
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »

We usually have one stationed 182 and one stationed 206, and the visiting 172. We are the largest on LI and second largest after SYR in the state.

JFK... those aren't NY-328's aircraft, those are Long Island Group's aircraft.

And with the now-chartered squadron in Brentwood, I expect it to be one of the largest in the country eventually. The AFJROTC can't handle the amount of students looking to join up so CAP was requested to set up a squadron... by a few estimates it might easily get top 100 cadets soon after finalizing procedures to deal with the influx of new cadets.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:43:48 PM by Ozzy » Logged
Ozyilmaz, TSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
SGT, ARNG (Out!)

NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, (17)
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
jfkspotting

Instagram Acct:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »

I'm aware, however, they are chartered to our squadron. How does the creation of Brentwood affect us? There is no dying need to go running off to Brentwood, a very rough area--and they won't have their own aircraft since they don't have an airfield. It may shrink Squadron 9 further.
Ozzy
Seasoned Member

Unit: NY

NY-288 Squadron Website
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »

Explain what you mean by chartered. If you mean they are located there, that is correct that they are, but they were there long before Squadron 10 moved to LIG headquarters.

I also never said that the creation of the Brentwood squadron would affect your squadron other then saying it is likely to become the largest on Long Island. Your original question asked what is the largest squadron and how many members were in it. However, the creation of another squadron nearby and an increase of 40-50% of a group's cadets in a short time would definitely indirectly affect other squadrons nearby. I know several senior members and cadets from other squadrons are transferring over to help get the new squadron going; I would too but I am moving to Georgia in about two months.
Ozyilmaz, TSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
SGT, ARNG (Out!)

NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, (17)
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
dwb

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »

Leesburg, VA -- 115 cadets, 47 seniors. That's on the books; we don't get that many every week. Loudoun County is growing rapidly, which is a significant factor in our growth.

We have 1-2 aircraft at a time at KJYO depending on aircraft rotation in the Wing.

The average CAP squadron is probably closer to 15-20 cadets, ~10 seniors. NIN has some statistics on this in his role as RRO, but a disturbing percentage of CAP units are effectively under-strength and probably not executing all three missions.
Blanding
Recruit

Unit: MER-VA-108

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »

Anyone know what the largest squadron is in CAP, how many members are in it, and ow many aircraft they own?

Point me in the direction of a CAP squadron that owns their own aircraft... I have some fundraising questions for them!
Shieldel

Unit: PCR-NV-802

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »

JFK, no one squadron nationally OWNS aircraft. They are WING ASSETS. As in yes they may be "in your squadron"....for maintenance and accountability purposes. If your squadron is doing O-Rides but there's a Wing Wide AFAM going on...chances are the IC will ask for the aircraft. The SAR takes precedence over your o-ride. CAP "triages" aircraft by priority of the situation. This is done by seniors in WMIRS when the aircraft is double booked, say it was booked for the rides but now we have a SAR so somebody on mission books it, oops double book! Now which one takes priority? SAR - any day.
Flight Officer Michael D. Scheidle
Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
ES Officer
ES Training Officer
FEMA Corps Class 23 Alumni - FEMA-4277-DR-LA Deployment to Baton Rouge FEMA JFO August - October 2016
stillamarine

Unit: SER-AL-134

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »

That doesn't seem right.

When I was there Emerald Coast Senior Squadron in Pensacola had two aircraft assigned at all times and during the summer months sometimes had 3. But they flew daily, 365 days a year sorties over Eglin range on firewatch. During the summer they regularly flew two sorties a day.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com
jfkspotting

Instagram Acct:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »

Leesburg, VA -- 115 cadets, 47 seniors. That's on the books; we don't get that many every week. Loudoun County is growing rapidly, which is a significant factor in our growth.

We have 1-2 aircraft at a time at KJYO depending on aircraft rotation in the Wing.

The average CAP squadron is probably closer to 15-20 cadets, ~10 seniors. NIN has some statistics on this in his role as RRO, but a disturbing percentage of CAP units are effectively under-strength and probably not executing all three missions.

[stupid]! that's huge! Are you the largest of VA?
dwb

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »

Yes, although the unit in Manassas is very strong at 97 cadets, 73 seniors. Fredericksburg is also impressive at 95 cadets, 44 seniors.

Population density helps tremendously. We're all good squadrons that are firing on all cylinders, but we couldn't be this big if we were out in rural southwest Virginia.
dogden

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »

My Group is 15 units with almost 900 members (600-ish cadets and 300-ish Seniors). We have 8 aircraft assigned. We have one Hq unit, 8 Composite Squadrons, 3 Senior Squadrons, 3 Cadet Squadrons (2 school programs). We are in the process of chartering 1 composite squadron and 1 cadet squadron. We are also rechartering one cadet squadron to a composite squadron. Our largest unit is 180 and smallest is 18 averaging to 60 per unit.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »

Our largest unit is 180 and smallest is 18 averaging to 60 per unit.

What's the empty shirt ratio on a unit with 180 members?  Depending on location, one could argue that exceeds the reasonable ability
of most units to be able to manage effectively and should be busted up into more then one, if for no other reason then
to be able to afford leadership opportunities for more members.

That's the problem with these questions - most of the "largest" squadrons are school programs with mandatory and dubious participation
and very few seniors because the "staff" is teachers. For example, the unit in INWG at one point had something like 300 cadets
and only 5 seniors.  I don't know what that really "is", but it's not CAP.

My wing had a unit that for years was "driving to 100" by scooping up all the empty shirts they could find - they had maybe 30-40 active
members, but wore that "100" goal as if it meant something other then a lot of busy work for the admin and nightmare SUIs.

I don't think there's a unit in my wing that has the facility that could accommodate 180 people at one time, or even 1/2 that.

60 is probably about all the average staff can handle, with 100 being a handy number for a goal, but getting into areas of resources,
cycle times, and other issues that make it difficult to manage in today's CAP.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:47:33 PM by Eclipse » Logged

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич
200,000th Post Author

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »

Our unit hovers around 60 members, with perhaps half or a third there on a regular basis. Seems about right for most units.
dogden

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »

What's the empty shirt ratio on a unit with 180 members?

It is a school unit so the empty shirt ratio is pretty small, the cadets are required to participate to pass the CAP class.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325
CAPLTC
Recruit

Unit: MER

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 11:45:14 PM »

Yes, although the unit in Manassas is very strong at 97 cadets, 73 seniors.
Fredericksburg is also impressive at 95 cadets, 44 seniors.
Population density helps tremendously.
We're all good squadrons that are firing on all cylinders, but we couldn't be this big if we were out in rural southwest Virginia.

True.
The greater-DC area is military town.
The Pentagon, Belvoir, McNair, Meyer, Bolling, Quantico, Navy Yard, WRMMC, Annapolis, USCG HQ, Meade, Andrews, Detrick, AP Hill, Dahlgren, etc etc etc.
Everyone is a vet or works for the Gov it seems.
Fertile ground for recruiting.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis
Pages: [1] 2  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: Largest/Smallest/Median squadron 2017?