Main Menu

Membership ?

Started by MC653, May 03, 2017, 06:45:33 PM

MC653

I recently returned to CAP after four years a Cadet and one as a SM. I was out for about 12 years, and must attend all these weird schools like SLS and CLC for promotion. The SOS, ACSC, and AWC would all benefit me professionally. I am required to spend two years or so before I can make captain and start the courses. I was also just given a 20 year member certificate so I can stick a 20 symbol on a red service ribbon I threw away a long time ago. Can anyone explain this? How am I eligible for this 20 year award and unable to move in rank faster? What is the point of such an award if the real benefit for me would be promotions so I can take courses to help me at work?

GaryVC

Sounds to me that you have 5 years in CAP, not 20. Someone has made an error. Did you get the Mitchell or above as a cadet or were you above SMWOG  when you left? That can give you a jump start on promotion.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: GaryVC on May 03, 2017, 07:08:32 PM
Sounds to me that you have 5 years in CAP, not 20. Someone has made an error. Did you get the Mitchell or above as a cadet or were you above SMWOG  when you left? That can give you a jump start on promotion.

Yes, something isn't right. 4+1=5. Even adding the 12 years away only =17. How did they get 20? And...who is the "they" that got that?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Anthony@CAP

If I had to bet, I would say your CC or PD officer looked at your record saw your join date and said well that's 20 years of service, without accounting for your break in service (which E-Services does not make particularly evident). The only way I have see to figure out if there was a break in service, is to check the promotions history - it will look odd because it will have a history along the lines of SM > 2 LT > 1 LT > SM > 1 LT, but even then that only tells you that there was a break in service, not why or how long. In your particular case it probably looks like Last Cadet Rank > SM > SM (again).

As too the math, I would just guess they are either bad at math, or your join date was a little longer ago then you remember.

EMT-83

Quote from: MC653 on May 03, 2017, 06:45:33 PM... Can anyone explain this? ...

If that person exists, they would be found within your chain of command, not some random folks on the Internet.

Chappie

Quote from: Anthony@CAP on May 03, 2017, 08:21:58 PM
<SNIP>
As too the math, I would just guess they are either bad at math, or your join date was a little longer ago then you remember.

Common Core Math???   
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

AlphaSigOU

I first joined as a cadet in December 1977, and remained a cadet until December 1984.

Short lapse in membership to enlist active duty in the Air Force January 1985-October 2005.

Rejoined CAP as a senior member in October 1985, let membership lapse October 1988. (I'll have to have NHQ do some more research to at least give me 'retirement' credit.)

17-year lapse in membership November 1988-October 2005.

Rejoined CAP October 2005, current with membership.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

As far as join dates go, there are two places in your online record where they appear.

If you click your name in the unit listing, the entry on the General tab should show your first joined date.

If you click Member Search Report, you will get your most recent join date.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MC653

It's just as well. I'm getting out again. All I ever hear is no. I'm certified by FEMA and DHS to teach ICS and NIMS. I'm not allowed. I'm certified to teach first aid to public safety, but can't teach cadets. I'm certified through NASAR, but CAP pretends it doesn't exist. Unless you teach drill or making planes out of balsam wood, you have no place here. This organization has never been perfect, but now it's a f$$king bureaucracy for volunteers. The politically correct crowd has wiped it's association with us.

Eclipse

Quote from: MC653 on May 04, 2017, 06:54:30 PM
All I ever hear is no. I'm certified by FEMA and DHS to teach ICS and NIMS. I'm not allowed.

Yes, you are, under whatever certifying body has provided your credentials, including their instructor rules, just not as a CAP member.

I'm certified to teach first aid to public safety, but can't teach cadets.

Yes, you can, under whatever certifying body has provided your credentials, including their instructor rules, just not as a CAP member.

I'm certified through NASAR, but CAP pretends it doesn't exist.

No, CAP doesn't need it, there's a difference, however your skills as someone involved with NASAR are directly
applicable to working on Ground teams, however if the NASAR badge is more important then the function, well, there you are.

Perhaps you didn't see it when you were a cadet, or have less tolerance for it now, but CAP has been a bureaucracy for the
last several decades, if not for its entire history.  Nothing substantial has changed since the last time you were a member, however if the "minefield" of
a Red Service Ribbon is too tough a row to hoe, then CAP is probably not for you, assuming it ever was.

Sorry if the schools that would benefit you professionally require a little work to get into them, unlike those "weird" schools that benefit the organization.

You said your intention was to "work with cadets", well FYI - ES isn't a component of the CP, but a big part of the it is drill and balsa wood airplanes.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP9907

It's just as well. I'm getting out again. All I ever hear is no. I'm certified by FEMA and DHS to teach ICS and NIMS. I'm not allowed. I'm certified to teach first aid to public safety, but can't teach cadets. I'm certified through NASAR, but CAP pretends it doesn't exist. Unless you teach drill or making planes out of balsam wood, you have no place here. This organization has never been perfect, but now it's a f$$king bureaucracy for volunteers. The politically correct crowd has wiped it's association with us.

Wow....  Didn't get your way so now you're taking your pail and shovel home? If you had done some due diligence before re-joining you'd have likely known all this esp as you were a former Member!! You really have no excuse here for being as 'shocked' as you are. Just my opinion, YMMV
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Alaric

Funny, I can't teach either drill nor how to build a plane out of balsa wood but have managed to have a fairly satisfying 8 year run in CAP.  Perhaps its just not a good fit for you?

etodd

Looking at the OP, it seems someone rejoined primarily to get on a fast track in promotions, ribbons and badges. Instead of rejoining to find a place to serve. To find a niche that needed filling.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAP9907

Quote from: Alaric on May 04, 2017, 07:18:44 PM

Perhaps its just not a good fit for you?

This, plus the whole not being able to know how many years he actually served...
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0