Lifesaving award clarification

Started by Arc light, April 11, 2017, 07:56:46 PM

Arc light

Hello, I am asking for the CAP officer community to judge this, the story is I volunteer at my local hospital every week and looked at cap 39-3 and read in order to receive the certificate of recognition for lifesaving that "Members who are credited with a save as a result of participation in a blood or organ transport mission will be awarded the basic ribbon".

Now I contacted my volunteer coordinator to see if I could accomplish this task, and a few weeks later I was put in the lab processing and sending blood to people who needed it. Now I know this is a weak comparison to an actual mission but I am unsure. I'm guessing I do not qualify for this ribbon which is fine, I would just like the opinions of those with more experience to judge this situation.

Thank you for your time.

LSThiker

Quote from: Arc light on April 11, 2017, 07:56:46 PM
Now I contacted my volunteer coordinator to see if I could accomplish this task, and a few weeks later I was put in the lab processing and sending blood to people who needed it. Now I know this is a weak comparison to an actual mission but I am unsure. I'm guessing I do not qualify for this ribbon which is fine, I would just like the opinions of those with more experience to judge this situation.

NHQ does not mean transporting blood for immunohematology purposes as a hospital employee or volunteer.  Rather, what is meant is blood transportation via approved corporate mission. These were rather common back before 1990s.  My wing flew blood and organs back in the 1970s and 1980s nearly weekly to rural hospitals. 

Arc light

Thank you for the response. It is most appreciated.