25 years of service and still going

Started by ironputts, December 08, 2016, 02:01:18 PM

ironputts

Hello to all!

I am celebrating my 25th year in CAP on December 10. I have no regrets and cherish the many wonderful times I have had with this organization. I was introduced to CAP during my two week Army Reserve encampment in 1991 at Ft. Dix, NJ. I saw all the cadets marching at their summer camp and wanted to know who they were and their mission. I talked with several senior members and eventually joined a local squadron. I have been in several squadrons since and worked at group and wing.
Many have written on CAPTALK about why they would stay with this organization. I would be lying if I didn't say I thought that many times myself. In the end, it was my initial goal when I came to this organization and that was working with cadets and the leadership building/moral leadership of the Cadet Programs. I have enjoyed working with other senior members and keeping the squadrons going.
I smile when I think when I first started I had many visions of where I could go with this organization. In the end, I feel very comfortable at the local squadron. I have seen many generations of cadets come and go. I ran into one of my earlier cadets and he is a father of three children who are now in CAP. He thanked me for what I did for him and helped pay for ice cream for me and my family. I thanked him and told him it was I who owed him. He and all the cadets gave me such purpose and it was nice to see he continued with the same goal as mine.
This organization is more aligned with the Air Force which I believe is a good sign. In the end, though, we are a civilian organization with many great missions and I will continue to support them the best I can. I hope to make it to 50 years and still working with young cadets in a squadron. I will always remain grateful for this opportunity and extend to all of you Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

THRAWN

Greg, having stomped on some of the same sand, I wish you well for another 25!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Greg

Thanks for the first 25 years, looking forward to the next :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Chappie

Greg....outstanding!!!  Thank you for your past, present, and continued service.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

dwb

Just finished my 24th year. Looking forward to that 25-year longevity device on my Red Service next year!

Storm Chaser

Congratulations! And thank you for your years of service.

PHall

Rookie!!!!   Just renewed for the 37th time. Don't ask me why, I think it's pure habit by now! ???
And congrats for the 25 years. :)

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2016, 01:21:01 AM
Rookie!!!!   Just renewed for the 37th time. Don't ask me why, I think it's pure habit by now! ???

N00b. In April, I will finish my 47th year of membership. February will mark the 53rd anniversary of my first joining.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 09, 2016, 02:48:23 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2016, 01:21:01 AM

N00b. In April, I will finish my 47th year of membership. February will mark the 53rd anniversary of my first joining.

I took a 8 year "sanity" break.

SarDragon

Sanity break? Didn't help much, did it?  >:D

You're still short a year, even if you don't count my six year break.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 09, 2016, 04:43:56 AM
Sanity break? Didn't help much, did it?  >:D

You're still short a year, even if you don't count my six year break.  :P

Dave, this my look of concern about you having more time in CAP.   ???
It just means you're older then me too. ;)

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

I'm still climbing poles for AT&T at age 60 and you?

ColonelJack

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2016, 02:08:02 AM
Better preserved, too!  :P

And they said all that alcohol would never do one any good ...  ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ironputts

I am very impressed with the 75th anniversary video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRdZrI7vbA. Thanks for all your comments. Going celebrating today!

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Damron

Congrats!

Glad you stuck with it, I'm sure there were some challenging periods. Were there any periods where you just took a break rather than quit?

ironputts

Two times. First, for a couple of years but assisted my old squadron until I went to another squadron. The second, I physically moved from north part to middle of state. I found a new squadron. I was there for 11 years and now moved to another squadron in another state. Different people and responsibilities keeps things fresh and my perspective resets to my original goal in advising cadets.