How should I prepare to be a flight sergeant?

Started by BaitwithVI, November 20, 2016, 09:26:44 PM

BaitwithVI

I just got the message that I have been appointed to a flight sergeant in my squadron and I have a few questions about being one.

-How should I keep a conversation going/ start a conversation during flight time that pertains to CAP? And how should I avoid awkward silences during these conversations?

-What are the most common uniform mistakes in flights I should be looking out for?

-How should I teach drill movements to my cadets efficiently and clearly?

-What are the most common drill movement mistakes I should be looking out for?

-Is there anything else I should know before my first meeting as a flight sergeant?

Thanks in advance!  ;D

RogueLeader

Congrats.
Your friend is going to be: https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Cadet_Staff_Handbook__Nov_16__Web_47474DD79B032.pdf

Most Common uniform violations that I've seen is insignia not positioned correctly, Crew neck shirts in blues, vs the correct V-neck shirts, wrinkled uniforms.

Good luck.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

White socks in blues.

Belt and tab end not lined up correctly.

No hat.

Nameplate and ribbons reversed (in a hurry or put them on in a mirror).

And soon - Flag on BDUs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

DJ Light Chop

If you are squeamish at the thought of having to talk in front of a group, now would be the best time to get over that. 

almostspaatz

C/Maj Steve Garrett

Jester

Learn to give feedback. Use the form. Get comfortable making tactful, on-the-spot corrections. For core values issues, document. If you don't write it down, it didn't happen.

Get your head right as far as your focus goes. You focus downward on the elements so the flight commander can focus upwards on the big picture. Make sure they're in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform, carrying the right gear, and have the right attitude/mindset.

Work through the element leaders. Span of control is 3-5. Don't try to account for every single flight member yourself. The element leaders should know before you do and then report to you.

Get to know your people, their goals, strengths, and weaknesses. If they want to get GTM certification, you can mentor them in that direction. If they have problems promoting because of the run, run with them.