Spaatz Exam Mile Run

Started by Sergeant, October 20, 2016, 01:17:39 AM

Sergeant

Hello everyone!

I am currently studying for my Spaatz Exam, and I have already recognized my most challenging area: the mile run.

I can pass the rest of the PT portion with some breathing room. I am devoting 12-15 hours a week just studying for the Leadership test alone. Aerospace is always my best section, although I am still going to study just to be safe. And, writing is one of my best subjects in school, so the essay should be a piece of cake for me.

However, I keep struggling with the mile run. This has always been the hardest part of CAP for me because I am a terrible long-distance runner no matter how much I practice. I am running the mile every day right now, but I feel like I keep hitting a 7-minute wall. The very best time I ever got was a 6:28 when I was going for Major (which would still be failing for the Spaatz). I got that time under the most favorable conditions possible: very dry air, months of practice, hydrating a lot throughout the day, drinking several cups of coffee right before the meeting, and then by pushing it as hard as I possibly could without collapsing (I really wanted that promotion badly).

I could have passed the shuttle, but they got rid of that a year ago. To make matters worse, my Spaatz Exam is now in only a month. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could shave a minute off my mile time in a month? Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

coudano

go run sprints 2 days a week
up a hill if you can.

run up the hill. walk down.
run up the hill.  walk down.

do a good dozen of those 2 days a week for a few weeks

do some lighter longer runs and add a rest day in between

take a day or even two off before you pace yourself for a test run and before the actual test

get a good dinner and plenty of rest the night before the test.
wake up plenty early and eat something reasonable for breakfast the day of the test (plenty of time between breakfast and your race, for it to digest and settle)

too late for you now, if you haven't already...  but LEAVE TIME FOR A RETAKE
Even if you are in good shape, you never know when you're going to have a bad day (i.e. the flu) on test day.

Jester

Longer distance overall, mix in intervals of sprinting.

FW

Congratulations on making it this far in the cadet program.  Passing the mile run is very difficult for some, however it should not be the obstacle most find impossible to overcome.  In my experience, the solution is to build up your endurance.  There are many ways this can be done, however most feel it takes 6 weeks to train.  No matter which method  you choose,  be consistent, conforming, and challenging.  Good luck with your PT.  Just remember, if you can't pass the mile run, everything else is moot. IMHO, just reschedule the exam until you are able to run the mile successfully

Jaison009

Best of luck with this. I had to run longer and farther and still didn't make it. Take every advantage to test that you can. This is the only thing that kept me from 3 diamonds. You can do it.

Quote from: Sergeant on October 20, 2016, 01:17:39 AM
Hello everyone!

I am currently studying for my Spaatz Exam, and I have already recognized my most challenging area: the mile run.

I can pass the rest of the PT portion with some breathing room. I am devoting 12-15 hours a week just studying for the Leadership test alone. Aerospace is always my best section, although I am still going to study just to be safe. And, writing is one of my best subjects in school, so the essay should be a piece of cake for me.

However, I keep struggling with the mile run. This has always been the hardest part of CAP for me because I am a terrible long-distance runner no matter how much I practice. I am running the mile every day right now, but I feel like I keep hitting a 7-minute wall. The very best time I ever got was a 6:28 when I was going for Major (which would still be failing for the Spaatz). I got that time under the most favorable conditions possible: very dry air, months of practice, hydrating a lot throughout the day, drinking several cups of coffee right before the meeting, and then by pushing it as hard as I possibly could without collapsing (I really wanted that promotion badly).

I could have passed the shuttle, but they got rid of that a year ago. To make matters worse, my Spaatz Exam is now in only a month. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could shave a minute off my mile time in a month? Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Others have mentioned longers runs for endurance and sprints. I'm no paragon of cadet fitness, as I tapped out at Earhart as a cadet, and it was on the shuttle to get there.

That said, I don't know how old you are/what your specific short term  goals are, but if the run is going to be an auto fail based on performance, perhaps try to reschedule the test? You only get 3 shots at it. Make each count.

Toad1168

You will also be surprised what the sheer adrenaline will do when you take it.  I passed mine by the skin of my teeth and some of it was because the reservists told the HS kids what I was running for and suddenly I had a cheering section.
Toad

kirbahashi

Quote from: coudano on October 20, 2016, 01:30:06 AM
go run sprints 2 days a week...

...pace yourself for a test run and before the actual test
First, run closer to two miles at your current mile pace.  Sprint work is critical, because you might not think it, but a mile is not a long distance run.  You need speed here.  On your normal runs, run two miles.  I would test your mile time once a week, and once more 2 days prior to the test.  Plus, when you run your 1 mile, if you have been running 2, it will seem so much quicker.  It's all mind games.

If you are going to be running your mile on a track.  Figure out your needed lap times.  You need to hit 6:23 or better?  383 Seconds.  If you are on a 1/4 mile track, you need a split time of 95 seconds.  So, shoot for 90 second laps. (90 second laps will give you +5 second fudge times)  Go and run a 90 second lap.  Figure out the stride and pace to do this.  Time everything!  Your breathing pattern, stride, all of it.  And you should be breathing through your nose.

I find your 4th lap should be the fastest with the 2nd lap your 2nd fastest.  Do not start off running your first lap as the fastest.  You will tire yourself out, leaving less in the tanks to finish strong...  (I bet you see this at every CPFT) Bottom line, if this is going to be a PR for you, you should be SMOKED after you cross the finish line.  Leave it all out on the track.  If you pass this one, you'll never have to run a mile this fast again unless you want to.

Focus on the horizon, not your feet, not your proctor, and have a good natural arm swing.  I find running with loose "knife hands" is a lot smoother than with clinched fists.  Get a "rabbit".  Someone who can run the distance and the time.  You'd be surprised how much faster you'll be with someone pushing you.  Figuratively, not literally.

If your proctor allows it, run with music.  Running with music will distract your mind and yourself from trying to beat you.  I am sure there is a more technical term for it.  Find a playlist of like your 2 or 3 most favorite work out/running songs.  Or go here to find the songs that could help.  http://lifehacker.com/5927390/find-the-right-bpm-for-your-perfect-running-playlist-with-this-chart

Those are my tips.  Best of luck to you.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Eclipse

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on October 20, 2016, 02:19:34 PM
Others have mentioned longers runs for endurance and sprints. I'm no paragon of cadet fitness, as I tapped out at Earhart as a cadet, and it was on the shuttle to get there.

That said, I don't know how old you are/what your specific short term  goals are, but if the run is going to be an auto fail based on performance, perhaps try to reschedule the test? You only get 3 shots at it. Make each count.

I'd say the above as well as understanding that the mile isn't a marathon, it's about the time and the speed.

We've had a couple cadets in my wing who were cross-country / marathon runners and treated the mile the same way.
Sadly, they were very fit, could run forever, but not at the pace needed and were not successful because of that.

As above, if you're not ready, and you have the calendar time left until 21, don't show up knowing you won't make it.
I've seen several cadets who clearly weren't even close waste a try.

Conversely, don't leave a try on the table.  No Spaatz examiner or Wing CC worth his salt will let a cadet miss their shot because
the clock ran out if they know you have one more chance, so don't be shy about asking.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

You should have come here to ask about mile times two months ago. ;)

Getting faster is a matter of time, patience, and practice.

What is the thing that slows you down first? Are your legs giving out, or are you struggling to breathe?

If it's legs, then longer, slower runs will build endurance and strength. If it's lung capacity, then sprints (especially up hills) will be a more beneficial use of your limited time.

Run 3-4 days/week, but don't do every single run at the mile pace. Slow it down and run 2-3 miles. One of your days should be a quality workout - the hill repeats or sprints.

This past Monday, I ran a 6:52 in the 11th mile of my 11-mile run (I was running late and had to get home). I assure you I'm a lot older than you are. Hitting that 6:23 is entirely possible with some practice. Good luck!

Ozzy

First I would recommend talking with your school's track or cross country coach. Ask for their help as I know a lot of them would love to help. If you can't do that or won't, you can see about paying a certified coach to help train you to get that 6-minute mile. A place to start can be here: https://membership.usatriathlon.org/Public/Public/FindACoach .

And if you don't want to do any of that... dwb has given some good advice. My only addition is from my experience, interval running can help when done right. Interval running means doing sprints, then cool down, sprints, then cool down, usually at either a 30 second sprint with 60 second cooldown or 60 second sprint with 90/120 second cool downs. In basic training it helped me get my 2-mile time down from 16 minutes to ~13 minutes
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

etodd

Quote from: Toad1168 on October 20, 2016, 02:28:10 PM
You will also be surprised what the sheer adrenaline will do when you take it.  I passed mine by the skin of my teeth and some of it was because the reservists told the HS kids what I was running for and suddenly I had a cheering section.

Adrenaline and also mental.   I've been watching the Cadets here struggle with the mile, and yet you can see they are not driving themselves hard enough. As any of them about "second wind" and they are clueless. They've never pushed themselves past that first threshold of pain.

As you hit the half mile mark, a zombie on a motorcycle carrying a chainsaw appears and is on your heels. You are now not running for Spaatz ... you are running for your very LIFE! Make it real!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

But on a side but related note I'll ask this. There are a couple of cadets who can walk really fast, but never change it to actual 'running' or especially to understand the concept of sprinting. I'm not a coach and don't have a clue as to explaining to a walker how to transition to running. You can tell they never ran as a child, just hustled up their walking. If you've ever watched 4-6 year olds playing baseball, you'll see lots of this. Some kids will run, others just fast walk. I guess those are the ones I'm seeing as cadets.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

USACAP

This! Great advice Ozzy.
AND/OR seek out the local running club(s).
Tell them who you are/what you are trying to do.
Find the professionals. Ask them. Ignore most of the advice here.

Quote from: Ozzy on October 20, 2016, 05:34:43 PM
First I would recommend talking with your school's track or cross country coach. Ask for their help as I know a lot of them would love to help.

SarDragon

When I was in the Navy, my PT run was a mile and a half. I was never able to build up good endurance, because I started running later in life.I did the two to three mile thing, and could only ever get down to about a 9:30 to 10:00 mile pace.This was not fast enough to pass my test. I found that if I sprinted as far as I could, and then fast walked until I caught my breath, rinse, repeat, I could achieve a 7:45 to 8:00 minute mile, which was more than fast enough.

Doing this for just a mile is harder, but it's something you might look at. My final 1/8 mile sprint was usually good enough to pass a bunch of people in the testing group just before the finish line.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on October 21, 2016, 05:02:31 AM
When I was in the Navy, my PT run was a mile and a half. I was never able to build up good endurance, because I started running later in life.I did the two to three mile thing, and could only ever get down to about a 9:30 to 10:00 mile pace.This was not fast enough to pass my test. I found that if I sprinted as far as I could, and then fast walked until I caught my breath, rinse, repeat, I could achieve a 7:45 to 8:00 minute mile, which was more than fast enough.

Doing this for just a mile is harder, but it's something you might look at. My final 1/8 mile sprint was usually good enough to pass a bunch of people in the testing group just before the finish line.

WUT?  I didn't think the Continental Navy had a mile(+) run.  And I've been to their museum many times. 

SarDragon

And then there's your run at the mouth problem.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

I don't do a lot of mile runs.  I can sprint or hike.  I got in deep trouble and plenty yelled-at for continuing my mile run way back when at encampment, even though I was having a major asthma attack and was not in good shape following it.  Exercise induced bronchospasm since the third grade.  oops.  I was put on oxygen for a while.  But the various girls came to visit me, so I was cool with the whole thing.