Small Unit Help

Started by kcebnaes, October 16, 2016, 07:33:09 PM

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 17, 2016, 02:24:35 PM
Thrawn: Unfortunately for us, the nearest unit is about an hour away. So consistent help isn't really an option. There may be JROTC unit near, I'll have to double check.

Eclipse: I'll try to do that, my main problem is that we're the only CAP unit within about an hour. Finding a willing cadet to ADY will be a challenge. However, I do think it would be a very plausible scenario!

OK...so, how about one week a month, for example?  Worth a phone call..?

Eclipse

The other thing is that while the meeting location might be an hour away, the people are probably in all clock directions from there.

In my wing we have people driving an hour to get to their meetings, and in many cases would be
very happy to find something in their area to either help with or  move to permanently.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2016, 02:00:32 PM
The other thing is that while the meeting location might be an hour away, the people are probably in all clock directions from there.

In my wing we have people driving an hour to get to their meetings, and in many cases would be
very happy to find something in their area to either help with or  move to permanently.
^ My point was nice, his is much better.

IIRC correctly, the OP is on wing staff?  Either way, get wing HQ to get the word out to other units and especially to anyone who's in the 'ghost squadron' and might be looking for something closer to home..?

JC004

Great activities bring and retain cadets.  When you have a tiny unit, this is a challenge, but it's also essential (DOH!).  So the best way to do this is come up with great activity ideas and link up with another unit or 2 to run them.  Try checking out my activities ideas list and see if there are any that you would like to run with another unit.  Let me know if you have questions.

You may also consider, if necessary, asking for help to get administrative and other required tasks done, so you can focus on cadet activities, recruiting, etc.  You might ask for help from higher headquarters, to get someone (or more than one person) to be assigned ADY for a while for these things, to take some of the burden off and allow you to focus.  You could also perhaps recruit some folks who might be able to commit to a once-a-month or twice-a-month-type thing for these tasks.  Parents might be an option as you do recruit.

Eclipse

Something CAP does a very poor job of, at least in most wings, is geo-locating the membership.

Unit locations aren't always a good indicator or member population, especially if the
unit is on a military base or airport.

I live less then 10 minutes from my current unit, but BITD it was 45 minutes to an hour+.

Wing HQ is 25 minutes in the other direction, and the rest of my Group is 45 minutes on a third heading.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2016, 02:48:53 PM
Something CAP does a very poor job of, at least in most wings, is geo-locating the membership.

Unit locations aren't always a good indicator or member population, especially if the
unit is on a military base or airport.

I live less then 10 minutes from my current unit, but BITD it was 45 minutes to an hour+.

Wing HQ is 25 minutes in the other direction, and the rest of my Group is 45 minutes on a third heading.

Heard that.

We've had several members transfer to us as the closer unit but they didn't realize we existed or didn't realize we met on a more convenient schedule after shifting our meeting days from Sunday to Thursday. Conversely, we lost several members in doing that. It is what it is.

I got recruited by my current unit first, which is about 45 minutes away for me. There's another unit only 25 minutes away. I wouldn't trade where I'm at, but I had a CAP unit closer and never even knew it for about 4 months into my CAP service.

You have to promote it. That's what it takes. Put together a plan to start training cadets on Day X using the pipeline method. When they "graduate," start recruiting a new class. Then let it stabilize a little and broaden it.

A small unit means more face-to-face time with individuals, but it also means that you have virtually no cadet activities because it's seniors and one cadet. A large unit often means more activities and more work, but less individual face time. You'll need to sell it as "We are building our cadet program, and cadet-such-and-such is going to be taking charge of it." I strongly urge you not to say "We currently have a cadet program." You don't. One cadet isn't a cadet program.

Make sure your training plan focuses on a hands-on form of training with an emphasis on a key area, such as aerospace. Try not to fill it all up with too much classroom, and goes for larger units as well; but five cadets don't want to sit in a classroom together and try to learn everything. You just don't have a wide enough range for "doing it all." Some units can have a centralized training program that branches out into interest areas (AE, CyberPatriot, drill team, etc) because they're that big. Others focus on key areas because that's where they can put the resources to.

So, you do have the hurdle of trying to entice new recruits, or transfers, to your unit with one person on the roster. But the big picture overall is how to emphasize that you have a training program on a targeted subject that will benefit those that join your unit. Then worry about the other focuses down the road.