How do you do a Closing Formation?

Started by C/ID-073, September 27, 2016, 09:40:57 PM

C/ID-073

At my squadron we always do a opening formation in addition to the Cadet Oath, but we have never done a closing formation. I've been told by my squadron commander that we are going to start doing closing formations, with the Cadet Oath at the end instead of the beginning.

Doing research, I can't find very much on how to do a closing formation in the drill guide, or AFMAN Drill and Ceremonies guide. I am unsure if a a closing formation is much different than an opening formation. I need to know where my flight sergeant, flight commander, first sergeant, and myself (the cadet commander) are supposed to be and what to say.

If anyone knows of a regulation or knows of somewhere in the Air Force Drill and Ceremonies Manual that I missed, I would appreciate it if you could help me out. Thanks to all who help!
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Eclipse

Like the opening it can pretty much be whatever the PIC says it is.

When we do them it's generally all hands in formation, retire colors, dismissed.

The oath isn't a bad idea at one or the other, at both is over kill.

Pledge of allegiance is generally inappropriate, though it's done by CC's throughout CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

CAPP 60-20 (this takes president over AFMAM 36-2203 in CAP) discusses dismissing the squadron which you can use as a baseline.  As a general rule, the closing formation is a quick gathering.  I have seen squadrons do quite a bit at the closing formation (promotions and recognition, announcements, recap of what was taught, etc).  What happens at the closing is really up to leadership but I would recommend that it be quick and used to send everyone away on a high note.

Luis R. Ramos

...takes president precedent (FTFY) over...

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on September 27, 2016, 09:52:16 PM

Pledge of allegiance is generally inappropriate, though it's done by CC's throughout CAP.

Why? Feel free to reply via PM if you feel the answer may degenerate into a flamewar.

Luis R. Ramos

Others here are also interested why the Pledge may be considered overkill by anyone...

My squadron has never recited the Pledge at Opening or Closing.

Our Group does recite the Pledge when starting the Commanders Call.

Slightly out of topic, but I have been assigned to several schools. In some we ask students to say the pledge, and others we do not. The last school I was last year, and the one I am now we do ask students to say the Pledge.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ßτε

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 28, 2016, 01:02:28 AM

Why? Feel free to reply via PM if you feel the answer may degenerate into a flamewar.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/4

kwe1009

Quote from: ßτε on September 28, 2016, 02:09:12 AM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 28, 2016, 01:02:28 AM

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/4

QuoteWhen not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces not in uniform and veterans may render the military salute in the manner provided for persons in uniform.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 28, 2016, 02:16:47 AM
QuoteWhen not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces not in uniform and veterans may render the military salute in the manner provided for persons in uniform.

Makes for a pretty quiet room if everyone is in a USAF-style combo.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2016, 03:22:49 AM

Well, the military normally does not recite the Pledge of Allegiance since they already swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United States when they enlisted/were commissioned.
Extending this to CAP members in the USAF style uniform might be a bit of a stretch.

Spam

Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2016, 05:33:40 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2016, 03:22:49 AM

Well, the military normally does not recite the Pledge of Allegiance since they already swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United States when they enlisted/were commissioned.
Extending this to CAP members in the USAF style uniform might be a bit of a stretch.

When I was our Wing's DCP a couple of years ago, I was sharply challenged for not reciting the pledge (in USAF style uniform) at a staff meeting. Didn't help to cite the code. Sigh... you'd have thought I had farted in church or something.

Cheers,
Spam

Holding Pattern