CAP receipient of the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award.

Started by Chappie, September 20, 2016, 04:46:37 PM

LSThiker

Great. But kind of crappy to not authorize it for the corporate uniform. We will see what happens later I guess. It is a step forward.

NIN

The lapel pin can be worn on the corporates in similar ways that you can wear a lapel pin now.

Its the AF's rule that military ribbons can't be worn on corporate uniforms.  That may change, epecially since the AFOEA awarded to CAP is regarded as a "superior to CAP awards but not military" (ie. you can't add an OLC to an AFOEA you might already have in your military rack, you add this between military and CAP ribbons on the blue uniform" and "you don't get military credit for getting this AFOEA " if you're military). But for now, no.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ozzy

An announcement showed up on the KY Wing Facespace page with some pictures. The award is now showing up on eServices under Awards
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

arajca

Quote from: NIN on March 02, 2018, 03:56:00 PM
At the request of a forum member, reopening this topic to cover the recent announcement of the disposition of the AFOEA to Civil Air Patrol.

The memo will be out soon (if not already), but the short version is that CAP members who were members for any part of the original award period (1 OCT 2012 - 31 AUG 16) are authorized the wear of the AFOEA on the USAF-style blue uniform (only). It will be worn above CAP ribbons but below military ribbons. If you're a military member, you're not authorized this award of the AFOEA on your military uniform.  (in theory, you might have a double-dip?)

eServices will be updated to reflect this award for those members who meet the qualifications.

More to follow in updates to CAPR 39-3 and CAPM39-1
Will cadets be authorized to wear it?

NIN

per para 3 of the General's upcoming memo: seniors (including 50 year and life members) & cadets with at least one day of active service during the period cited.

Look in your eservices. I was watching Joe Hall upload the update (I think thats what he was doing, at least! :) )

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker

abdsp51

Ned

But does it come with a mini medal for mess dress?

Since the order of precedence is higher than any CAP ribbon, who is authorized to present it?  What sort of ceremony is traditional for such an award?

>:D

kwe1009

Quote from: Ned on March 02, 2018, 05:06:13 PM

Since the order of precedence is higher than any CAP ribbon, who is authorized to present it?  What sort of ceremony is traditional for such an award?

It is a double-sized medal that can only be presented by an unnamed member of the Executive Branch of the US government.  On the mess dress it is worn on the wearer's right just above the CAP medallion.

Also, the medal cannot be purchased from any known source.

:clap:

Mustang

Is anyone really surprised by this? Did anyone REALLY expect there'd be any love for CAP's second-class citizens?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

MSG Mac

Military Unit Citations do not come with a medal, only ribbon
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Those who earned it should enjoy it any way they can. Wear it, don't wear it, hang it on your Christmas Tree. Because I doubt that there will ever be any more of them. The issue of who gets to wear it under what conditions didn't seem to have been thought out in advance and I can't see anybody being eager to repeat that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Nope, this is one of those "Ribbon Only" awards, no medal.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2018, 12:13:30 AM
Those who earned it should enjoy it any way they can. Wear it, don't wear it, hang it on your Christmas Tree. Because I doubt that there will ever be any more of them. The issue of who gets to wear it under what conditions didn't seem to have been thought out in advance and I can't see anybody being eager to repeat that process.

The requirements of who gets  were thought out:

They are: Any body who was a member during the period 1 Oct 2012 thru 31 Aug 2016.
The citation/award can only be worn on a military uniform. If you can't or opt not to wear a military style uniform, you have the option of wearing the lapel(buttonhole) pin.

Same rules as wearing military ribbons with the G/W uniforms.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PA Guy

Quote from: Mustang on March 02, 2018, 05:45:08 PM
Is anyone really surprised by this? Did anyone REALLY expect there'd be any love for CAP's second-class citizens?

You have that right. The AF can take their doo dad and put it where the light doesn't shine.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 03, 2018, 02:03:32 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2018, 12:13:30 AM

The requirements of who gets  were thought out:

They are: Any body who was a member during the period 1 Oct 2012 thru 31 Aug 2016.
The citation/award can only be worn on a military uniform. If you can't or opt not to wear a military style uniform, you have the option of wearing the lapel(buttonhole) pin.

Same rules as wearing military ribbons with the G/W uniforms.

I beg to differ re: this being thought out. As evidence, I submit...the calendar.

The award was announced in September, 2016. Pretty much within about five minutes of that, the question was asked:  "Can we wear it? Who? And how?"

And there was no immediate answer. It took 18 months for the answer.

I think awarding it was well intentioned. I'm quite pleased that it was awarded. But deciding who wears it, if anyone wears it, and under what conditions, should have been done before the announcement. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't thought all the way through.

And...the final decision reflects the difficulties of making that decision. We now have a military decoration that is military enough to wear on the civilian version of a military uniform, but not civilian enough to wear in the civilian uniform, which has to have unusual wear instructions to be worn with the same award received by military members who might have received it in USAF service, but which isn't military enough to wear on military uniforms despite it being the same award presented to military members...it makes my head spin.  Especially considering how many members have earned it and will never get to wear it.

It would have been much easier to award the National Commander's Unit Citation to everyone, maybe with a special attachment indicating that SECAF had approved it or something.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Fester

As a fat and fuzzy, I REALLY don't understand why people are so upset that military ribbons can't be worn on our fat and fuzzy uniforms.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Is there anything that Eclipse, PHall and asdp DON'T know?  :)
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: LSThiker on October 02, 2016, 06:23:50 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 02, 2016, 05:34:39 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on October 02, 2016, 05:17:40 AM
Link is broken. Here it is: http://www.snopes.com/POLITICS/military/airforce.asp

I was asleep they day they taught internet :)  Thanks.

Whatever happened to the cadet after that incident?  Did the cadet stay at USAFA?  Did he actually receive a commission?  What was the afterlife for this?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brombomb/
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 07, 2016, 05:24:09 PM
The thing that really bugs me about all this, and its not from the Air Force.  It's the fact that for YEARS, we- particularly here on CapTalk- have been whining and raging about being more and more distant from the Air Force, and then we become part of the Total Force.  People still complained that it was just a publicity stunt or that it was a gesture without meaning.  Suddenly, the Air Force goes and proves that they meant more than just words, then suddenly- they can't do that, we couldn't accept it if we wanted to.  It seems to me- for the most part, that those arguing the hardest against us for receiving this award are those that are current/former Air Force (not exclusive on either side.)

Can't we just be glad that the Air Force is actively trying to improve the relationship with us.  Why can't you be happy that they are working really hard to make things right.  If you haven't noticed the Air Force, and the Military in general, have been going through some bad PR at the moment, and they are still taking time and effort when they could ignore us for now until they get themselves straightened out.

Sure, things could be better at the local level, but things take time, and mutual respect on both sides of the house.  For those of you with the issues with this award- other than those concerned with details of how worn- check your ego and re-evaluate why you are so worked up about this.  If you think we as CAP don't rate this award- suck it- the SECAF says we do.

I, for one, am grateful to the Us Air Force for this.  Thank you.

Spend a career in the Hospitality field like I have and you'll quickly realize that some people are just NEVER happy no matter how hard you try to please them.

I'm thankful for the award.  And I don't even qualify for it because I wasn't a member during the period!
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996