CAPP 60-20 Drill and Cermonies Pamphlet Released August 2016

Started by Eclipse, August 06, 2016, 04:16:01 AM

Luis R. Ramos

Kwe, since you are quoting me, tell me where I am advocating on using manuals, publications, etc. from any of the services, with the Civil Air Patrol.

At the same time, also quote in which Civil Air Patrol or United States Air Force manual, regulation, or other publication does it state you have to stop in front of every single flag pole, be it on base, in front of a school, at a police station, fire house, Post Office, or mounted on the chassis of a fire truck, and render a salute. If you want to do it it out of your heart, that is wonderful, it is great. But do not teach it as "required by CAP regulations or traditions." I have never, ever seen a Marine, Sailor, soldier, or Airman do this.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

For your close examination. It's from CAPM 50-3, 1st ed, 1965. The 2nd ed reads the same. Let's keep the commentary civil.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

SAR, since you are quoting, it says passing. I asked where does it say stopping and saluting. There is a difference.

And again, he was the only member that would do that. No member back then other than him would say "you have to do that."

But again, is your interpretation of the word passing to stop?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 07, 2016, 02:01:12 AM
Kwe, since you are quoting me, tell me where I am advocating on using manuals, publications, etc. from any of the services, with the Civil Air Patrol.

At the same time, also quote in which Civil Air Patrol or United States Air Force manual, regulation, or other publication does it state you have to stop in front of every single flag pole, be it on base, in front of a school, at a police station, fire house, Post Office, or mounted on the chassis of a fire truck, and render a salute. If you want to do it it out of your heart, that is wonderful, it is great. But do not teach it as "required by CAP regulations or traditions." I have never, ever seen a Marine, Sailor, soldier, or Airman do this.

Hmmm....the olde cadet in me is thinking of the 10th General Order of the Guard: "To salute all officers and colors and standards not encased". Never did find out was "encased" was. The only time I've stopped and saluted was when Taps or Reveille was being played, or To The Colors, where you have to stop everything and salute. I've been posted to duty positions where a color guard passed me and I saluted them.

Stopping and saluting people....not so much. When passing officers, I've always read and been told 6 paces as the distance to salute an officer if you are passing them face to face. I've had cadets come up from behind me saluting and that makes no sense whatsoever, but they were told that they had to. Guess we really do have eyes in the backs of our heads. Stopping to render a salute really makes no sense to me when it comes to saluting officers. You'd end up being late to wherever you're going.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

stillamarine

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 07, 2016, 01:13:04 PM

Hmmm....the olde cadet in me is thinking of the 10th General Order of the Guard: "To salute all officers and colors and standards not encased". Never did find out was "encased" was. The only time I've stopped and saluted was when Taps or Reveille was being played, or To The Colors, where you have to stop everything and salute. I've been posted to duty positions where a color guard passed me and I saluted them.

Stopping and saluting people....not so much. When passing officers, I've always read and been told 6 paces as the distance to salute an officer if you are passing them face to face. I've had cadets come up from behind me saluting and that makes no sense whatsoever, but they were told that they had to. Guess we really do have eyes in the backs of our heads. Stopping to render a salute really makes no sense to me when it comes to saluting officers. You'd end up being late to wherever you're going.

Encased is when the flag is rolled and in the cover.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 07, 2016, 01:13:04 PM

The saluting when coming from behind is a Navy thing, accompanied by the phrase, "By your leave, sir."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

I did not mean to imply that you were advocating other service's guidance, I was making a general statement in that regard.

I also did not say or even imply that anyone (CAP or USAF) is required to stop in front of every single flag pole and salute.  AFMAN 36-2203 actually states that you are not required to do that just like CAPP 60-20 does.  A majority of 60-20 was cut and pasted from 36-2203 in order to ensure that CAP was doing the same as USAF when it comes to drill and ceremony.