Squadron Training Plan Question

Started by NC Hokie, July 19, 2016, 07:43:37 PM

NC Hokie

I have a question about the leadership curriculum found in the suggested Squadron Training Plan found at http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/squadron-training-plan/.

For those of you that have used this plan, is it better to do the suggested leadership activity before or after the corresponding lesson from the leadership text?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NC Hokie on July 19, 2016, 07:43:37 PM
I have a question about the leadership curriculum found in the suggested Squadron Training Plan found at http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/squadron-training-plan/.

For those of you that have used this plan, is it better to do the suggested leadership activity before or after the corresponding lesson from the leadership text?

I always find doing the activity AFTER the lesson is more appropriate if you're going to solely do one lesson in the classroom (book) and one activity.

For some lessons, you can do a miniature activity, go through the full content, and then do a more practical exercise after. That method gives them a brief exposure to the concept, then the exposure to the material so they can look back and go "Oh, now I get it," followed by a much more thorough practical application at the end.

I'm going to add a caveat here that I find the Squadron Training Plan ideas amateur and dull. They may suit 12-year-olds, but I find most mid-to-late teens really don't go for that stuff.

Case studies can work wonders if you're looking for analytical thinking. Say your topic is, just as an example, planning ahead---forward thinking. Try to find an example that you can get two sides to go into full debate mode about why things were done or should have been done a certain way. You find that when the classroom all agrees, the conversation is minimal and it gets boring. When the dialogue erupts in different points of view, you start getting much more input because people are thinking "Okay, no, I disagree here" and they want to contribute that to the discussion.

biomed441

I have always done the activities after.  I don't know for sure but my observations show a higher level of retention of the information provided during the lesson if the activity is afterwards.  YMMV. 

I'll agree with SkyHornet though with the lesson activities being a bit dull.  I will usually take the concept and augment it with something a bit more substantial or relating to issues directly affecting the unit at that time. They get practical training in the topic they just learned, and also correct issues within the unit in the process. Win-win.  Good luck!