Panic attacks at encampment

Started by Yochanan, June 27, 2016, 02:01:35 PM

Yochanan

If, on the night (Central Time Zone) of July 1st or later, one of you guys see a post mentioning a (tall, bald) cadet who had to leave on the second training day of the AL/MS encampment (that may involve the mention of hyperventilation), please send me a message, as I would like to see what has been said about me.

Anyway, continuing to the topic, have any of you witnessed a panic attack at encampment/NESA/any such event?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Yochanan on June 27, 2016, 02:01:35 PM
If, on the night (Central Time Zone) of July 1st or later, one of you guys see a post mentioning a (tall, bald) cadet who had to leave on the second training day of the AL/MS encampment (that may involve the mention of hyperventilation), please send me a message, as I would like to see what has been said about me.

Anyway, continuing to the topic, have any of you witnessed a panic attack at encampment/NESA/any such event?

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, to be honest. But, to answer your question I have suffered panic and anxiety attacks from age six to now, about 42 years. I've had them at various CAP functions, and I've had to excuse myself so I could have them in privacy. I've not melted down in front of anyone. Yet.  I've been able to recognize the signs and have tried to assist others when I see them coming on.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

I don't think there's much I / we haven't witnessed, and anxiety in adolescents away from home, sometimes for the first time,
certainly isn't unusual.

Your encampment staff should be chock full of experienced members, counselors, possibly a Chaplain and/ or medical personnel of
various disciplines, not to mention your best resource - parents.

If you have a recurring issue, make sure it was / is noted on your medical information forms, and mention it during in-processing
to the appropriate staff (it doesn't have to be public knowledge.  If you encounter an issue, don't try to hide it - take steps
to address it immediately, whatever that means for you.  Trying to hide it could make it worse.

Also, if you do encounter some difficulty, it absolutely should not, ever, be the subject of a post here, or anywhere else public.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

The weather is this area has been excruciatingly hot and humid. I hope all the outdoor activities were kept short, with lots of breaks, and water/gatorade in abundance.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

arajca

The vast majority of the folks wouldn't post something like that here. Even if they did, it would not include an identifying description other than "a cadet" and "an Encampment".

Майор Хаткевич

On top of that, the Encampment staff is there to make your time safe, educational, and most importantly FUN. I had a cadet go to encampment that had some issues that may have come up. I briefed (and over-briefed) the staffers I knew and talked to prior to the event on how to address any issues. ALL were very understanding and helpful. Please don't worry too much, and have a good time, but if you need to decompress or talk to someone, any Senior will be more than willing to help you.

PA Guy

Yes, I have seen cadets have anxiety attacks at encampment. Now take the advice others gave and leave it there. This is hardly the place to discuss your personal medical issues. Trust me on this .

Mods: Please consider closing the thread. With the PII available it would seem to be the right thing to do to protect the cadet.

Pace

Cadet, if you plan to have panic attacks at encampment, I would encourage you to make sure your treating physician is ok with you attending encampment and optimize your health prior to attending. If you don't have a treating physician, then maybe you need to see one before going to encampment. If you are merely joking, I don't think it's funny or appropriate to post that here because a true panic attack is always terrible for the person experiencing it. Good luck to you.

*lock*
Lt Col, CAP