Main Menu

Transgender Policy

Started by CAPDCCMOM, May 13, 2016, 05:21:13 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Hormones also get adjusted.

raivo

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 21, 2016, 04:11:02 PMFor the record...Ive never said "just get over it".

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you, it was more of a comment on the overall state of the discussion in society.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JayT

The lack of compassion and understanding, as well as the frankly disgusting level of transphobia being displayed here is shocking. Many of you here should be ashamed of yourself some. "Social Justice Warriors." "If I decide I'm a different age, it must be true according to their logic." "Mental illness." I believe one of you compared yourself to Gallileo? Must be nice to have never been hated for who you are, or have to hide it (for fear of what may happen to you. The barely concealed contempt and weasel words I see here are the exact same thing that must of been said by the KKK in the 1950s.

The world is changing, old guys. Deal with it, or step out of the way. Worry about the real issues, and not the made up ones that Fox News tells you too.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Garibaldi

Apparently this is a very touchy subject for some. This is not an issue of "I am deciding to be a girl/boy today". Gender dysphoria is waking up every day knowing you're what you're not. It's not a choice, much as being gay or straight is not a choice. Did you wake up one day and decide "I'm straight"? No. This was something you knew from the very beginning, at least since puberty. There was no school, no class, that made you straight. So why do people assume that being gay is a choice? Some people don't discover until a much later age that they are gay, which is why a lot of folks come out at age 30, 40, 50, 70 whatever. And there may be a single isolated incident that makes them realize they are gay, that it was there all along, that they were unhappy and just didn't know it. Why do you think all these "re-education camps" don't work?

If there are male cadets out there who try to game the system by pretending to be a girl so they can get in the showers and bunk with them, trust me....they're going to be noticed. And dealt with appropriately.

My only issue with the entire issue is that teens are choosing to undergo reassignment surgery, and that's just too soon. Hormones, peer pressure, whatever...not many of the decisions we made at age 13-18 really stuck, did they? Maybe you knew your path in life, but having your genitals changed isn't something you decide on overnight.

As far as it affecting CAP, we'll deal with it like we always do. We'll find out what works and what doesn't, make a regulation or directive, and move on. It wasn't but 60 years or so ago that the military integrated blacks and whites into homogenous units. Everyone thought it was a big deal at the time, mixing races. And we're looking back on it now, scratching our heads and wondering what the big deal was. And so shall it be 50 years from now.

/soapbox
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

abdsp51

Quote from: JayT on June 21, 2016, 11:13:47 PM
The world is changing, old guys. Deal with it, or step out of the way. Worry about the real issues, and not the made up ones that Fox News tells you too.

And you think this isn't a real issue?  Are the only real issues the ones the Corrupt News Network reports?   Who are you to determine what is a real issue to someone? 

Did the world keel over and appoint you emperor and we didn't know about it?

The world is changing yes sir it is, so let's focus on real issues as you say in how we are watching politicians attempt to reduce the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on June 21, 2016, 09:24:45 PM
Hormones also get adjusted.

Yes. Artificially.  When You stop taking the medication, your body returns to what you are.

JayT.   Your post was great.  Any more attempts at insults or is it allowed because I don't agree with you?  Attempting to Insulting people who don't agree with you while trying to show why we should. That's called a hypocrite.   :clap:  you believe you are right and everyone else is wrong, so that makes the other person "phobic"?   Ok. So much for the labels you are concerned with.

Flying Pig

Spam

Quote from: JayT on June 21, 2016, 11:13:47 PM
The lack of compassion and understanding, as well as the frankly disgusting level of transphobia being displayed here is shocking. Many of you here should be ashamed of yourself some. "Social Justice Warriors." "If I decide I'm a different age, it must be true according to their logic." "Mental illness." I believe one of you compared yourself to Gallileo? Must be nice to have never been hated for who you are, or have to hide it (for fear of what may happen to you. The barely concealed contempt and weasel words I see here are the exact same thing that must of been said by the KKK in the 1950s.

Why, I'm feelin' your labeling and hatred right now, actually. Keeps me warm, as an "old guy" (love THAT respect on display, there, hypocrite).

Also, for the record, no, I didn't even remotely compare myself to Galileo... you either need to improve your reading comprehension, and/or don't post while high.

Spam

Pace

I get this is a polarizing issue, and there is definitely a break between and an absolute lack of consensus among medicine and society.

That being said, this is going down the drain quickly. Refocus before this gets locked please.
Lt Col, CAP

raivo

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 21, 2016, 11:27:52 PMApparently this is a very touchy subject for some. This is not an issue of "I am deciding to be a girl/boy today". Gender dysphoria is waking up every day knowing you're what you're not. It's not a choice, much as being gay or straight is not a choice. Did you wake up one day and decide "I'm straight"? No. This was something you knew from the very beginning, at least since puberty. There was no school, no class, that made you straight. So why do people assume that being gay is a choice? Some people don't discover until a much later age that they are gay, which is why a lot of folks come out at age 30, 40, 50, 70 whatever. And there may be a single isolated incident that makes them realize they are gay, that it was there all along, that they were unhappy and just didn't know it. Why do you think all these "re-education camps" don't work?

Nailed it. I probably could have told you I was different from other teens back then, but it took me a good few years of repressing feelings and wrestling with thoughts until I finally figured things out and came out as gay when I was 21. Whether it relates to orientation or gender identity, the mind is insanely (heh) complicated and I think it takes many people some time and some trials (or a lot of both) to figure out "who" they really are. But then we start delving into philosophy, and that's not one of my strengths.

There's a scene from a Law and Order: SVU (yeah, I know) episode about transgender issues, which I found to be a really good description to me, as a cis guy: "What if you woke up tomorrow morning in a body of the opposite sex, but nothing else about you had changed? Can you imagine how trapped you'd feel? Can you imagine how desperate you'd be to get back into the right body?"

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 21, 2016, 11:27:52 PMMy only issue with the entire issue is that teens are choosing to undergo reassignment surgery, and that's just too soon. Hormones, peer pressure, whatever...not many of the decisions we made at age 13-18 really stuck, did they? Maybe you knew your path in life, but having your genitals changed isn't something you decide on overnight.

Also agreed.

With regard to CAP, I think the best policy that can be adopted - at least, for now - is the one that's been referenced here (or in the other thread? I can't remember): treat people according to their legal gender, however their state chooses to define that.

There may come a day when medicine advances and the law catches up, and the issue is settled for us, but until then I don't think CAP would do well to try and break new ground on the issue.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

ryann6244

Hi Lt my name is Yadira Espinoza, and i am currently a CAP cadet. I am transgender, and I identify as a male, and i wanted to know what the policy is about clothing. I am against wearing female clothing, but I wanted to know if I am forced to by CAP regulations.

Thank you

CAPDCCMOM

Cadet Espinoza,

First, I do not have the information you are looking for. But I will look.

Second, allow me to praise your courage and my best wishes. I hope that your career in the CAP will be long and successful.

Good Luck Cadet. :clap:

Eclipse

The current NHQ policy is that you wear the uniform which corresponds to your legal gender.

I believe this also extends to PT and billeting, etc., for overnight activities.

Your best course of action is to address this directly with your commander who should then consult higher
HQ if he has any questions or concerns.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2016, 09:20:24 PM
The current NHQ policy is that you wear the uniform which corresponds to your legal gender.

I believe this also extends to PT and billeting, etc., for overnight activities.

Your best course of action is to address this directly with your commander who should then consult higher
HQ if he has any questions or concerns.

CAP respects your legal gender in your state or local municipality as identified on the information provided for membership (ID, birth certificate, social security card, etc). Uniform wear, PT, and billeting standards conform to legal gender through the rest of the regulations/pamphlets.

In regard to billeting, it is not a requirement that cadets be housed together; single rooms are authorized. Organizers/chaperons can arrange that a cadet be housed separate to accommodate special needs. Males and females must be housed separate, and this is based on legal gender.

RogueLeader

Quote from: ryann6244 on November 08, 2016, 08:47:05 PM
Hi Lt my name is Yadira Espinoza, and i am currently a CAP cadet. I am transgender, and I identify as a male, and i wanted to know what the policy is about clothing. I am against wearing female clothing, but I wanted to know if I am forced to by CAP regulations.

Thank you

Again, like what was said earlier, it all depends on what your legal gender is, which the standard is varied from state to state.  In the event that you are required to wear female uniforms- which I understand that you do not want- you have more options than a male identifying as a female (with male legal gender)  the BDU's are gender neutral, ABU's are cut for Male/Female (females may wear male cut ABU's), and females can wear slacks with Shirts tucked in.

I also understand that this may not be the ideal situation in your case, but I hope it helps to start thinking about what options are available to you, in the event that you are required to wear female uniforms.

Lastly, best of luck to you in a rewarding CAP Career.  It's a great program.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CAP9907

Quote from: ryann6244 on November 08, 2016, 08:47:05 PM

Thank you

Cadet,

You should run these questions by your chain of command for proper answers. I know that your Commander has engaged Wing and Region, he is well versed on this issue.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Airplane girl

Even if you have to wear female uniforms, most people outside of CAP won't be able to tell the difference if you don't wear the skirt. I know this, because I'm a cisgender female and when I'm walking around in uniform people always call me "sir" or "dude" or "bro" or something similar.