Orienteering as an Activity

Started by NC Hokie, March 23, 2016, 07:27:24 PM

NC Hokie

Does anyone on CAP Talk have any experience with orienteering as a cadet activity?  I've researched this on the web and have a meeting scheduled with a local NJROTC instructor that does this with his cadets, but I'd like a CAP perspective if I can get one.

So, any takers?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

I prefer using an orienteering course for the compass tasks.  We have a local course that is open to the public and
has published maps and target codes. 

That makes it really easy to setup the tasking course and I can change the field conditions, distances, and number of targets
with a few lines on their maps.

I've found this is an eye-opener to people regarding navigating with a compass in the real world vs. the coffee cans in a
parking lot, etc., many people do.

http://dupageforest.com/Recreation/Activities_and_Facilities/Navigation_and_Wayfinding.aspx?ekfrm=350

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Great Start seems to recommend it as part of the "field day" activity, as it builds the importance of following directions as given.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2016, 07:35:48 PM
I prefer using an orienteering course for the compass tasks.  We have a local course that is open to the public and

That is seriously unfair.

I wonder how I can convince the local parks foundation to do the same here...

Eclipse

Yeah, it's really sweet, and well maintained - there's a lock box with maps and compass' (compai?) for anyone to use.

The local guard units train there as well. 

One time we tromped right into a camouflage exercise and almost walked over a couple of their guys.

Back to the OP, even separate from ES, this kind of things makes a great day-trip, and might spark the interest for
those not already involved, formal course or just your local preserve.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 23, 2016, 08:21:31 PM

See how these guys do it: http://www.ewoc.org/
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spaceman3750

You could always volunteer to set it up.

jdh

I set up a few courses for my cadets for ES training. We even did one last night. Some are as easy of giving them pre-marked maps and others as complex as giving them a start point, a list of distances and bearings to mark them maps themselves and highlighted off-limits areas that they have to navigate around.

Any team that passes into one of the off-limits areas are then moved to a different area on the map and the other teams are instructed that there is a missing ground team that must be located and given a sector of the map to search in.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 23, 2016, 08:32:22 PM

You could always volunteer to set it up.

If I drop some of my current volunteer load, I could do that. I'm kinda tasked out at the moment.

kirbahashi

I've taught map & compass here in my Wing and I have used the orienteering courses at Prince William Forest Park.  They have about 30 tracks with varying degrees of difficulty.  They only use 15 course a year to keep wear and tear down.  Best of all?  It's all free.  Maps and compasses are provided free of charge, and the degree of difficulty is fairly easy.  I've even been able to score free entrance.  The park is a huge break from the urban jungle/suburban sprawl.  Nothing that requires a half day of hiking, nearby to all parties, really a great location.  I've encouraged our squadrons to use the location for their training. 

One day I went out with my sons, and ran about 5 of the shorter courses.  Plotted their markers so I could create some alternate courses.  I was able to omit information between the markers to ensure the members were using their tools correctly and to reinforce what they were taught works.

Since then, I have found two other local courses, but have not had the time to go check them out.

If you have something like this nearby to you, use it to your benefit.  I think orienteering is much more than just an ES class.  Use orienteering as a team builder.  Include seniors and you have an off-site leadership course.  Plus, the physical fitness aspect of it is pretty good too.

Best of luck!
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

THRAWN

Quote from: NC Hokie on March 23, 2016, 07:27:24 PM
Does anyone on CAP Talk have any experience with orienteering as a cadet activity?  I've researched this on the web and have a meeting scheduled with a local NJROTC instructor that does this with his cadets, but I'd like a CAP perspective if I can get one.

So, any takers?

It's a great activity. I've done a few outings and they all end up being very enjoyable. Just make sure you do a pace count, make sure everybody has a functional and accurate compass, and link up rookies with more experienced members. Have you tried to get to use any of the compass courses on Ft. Bragg? Have you contacted any local orienteering clubs? Hit up your local REI or similar place and see if there are any local club courses that you can use.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

FW

Quote from: NC Hokie on March 23, 2016, 07:27:24 PM

So, any takers?

This is a great opportunity.  Go for it, we even have a CAP owned site in PAWG that is perfect for the activity.... >:D

MHC5096

Orienteering was big deal when I was an NJROTC cadet in FL and MD. Most of the units had competition orienteering teams in addition to the standard drill teams, color guards, rifle teams and academic teams. I can still recall the crazy orienteering course that the USMC put together for us at Fort Story, VA during the 1987 Area 5 Leadership Academy like it was yesterday. One of the cadets on my team sprained an ankle and we had to carry her along throughout the rest of the course or we would have been disqualified. I also did several night orienteering course runs at Quantico. Great memories!
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

coudano

So there's sport orienteering (like...  running)

Then there's more the sort of orienteering you are likely to do at something like NESA/GSAR.

I used to run an activity called 'nav challenge'
Kind of like a cadet competition, except it was all orienteering stuff, (and we let senior members play)

The events went round robin:
1. Day nav:  a straight up nav course, for time. (in the woods)
2. Night nav:  same course as the day nav, but using different points, and also in the dark
3. Blind nav: during the day, but the waypoints aren't marked.  Plant a stake where you think the final point is.  Points based on how far from the REAL final point, your stake landed.
4. Topo analysis 1:  Observe a prepared sand model, in a box.  Draw it on paper.
5. Topo analysis 2:  Receive a topo map on paper.   Make it in a sandbox (that starts out raked flat)
6. GPS Geocache:  The coordinates of the next point are found when you arrive at the point you're going to (speed course)(daytime)
7. Academic Test:  terms, procedures, and equipment knowledge.  Multiple choice.
8. Celestial Nav:  Point north, using nothing but the stars (wx permitting)

All in all, a jolly good time.
Long day.  Got sunburnt.  And dirty.

Plenty of time for socializing around food and campfire.

:)

DakRadz

I want to build on the information in this thread, and specifically my experience vs some of what I have seen here.

Do you have cadets in teams? I had several events as an NJROTC cadet, but we were competing as individuals and then our aggregate scores determined team placement. So there were roving safety officers, but no guarantee you had anyone nearby if you got hurt, etc. Any input on team makeup and rules?

Eclipse

ISRs or even FRS radios can mitigate the seperation issues - have regular check-ins and someone can practice their MRO skills.

I think teams of two is probably the way to go as that also stresses "wingman" on the cadet side.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

In response to MHC5096, When my oldest was doing SERE at the Air Force academy he and a female cadet were dumped in the outback with the admonition to avoid being captured and to escape.  They had only gone a short distance when the female cadet fell and injured her leg.  She said she couldn't go on unless he carried her.  He said if this was the real thing, he would have shot her.  He helped her back to the road and ran away only to be captured 2 days later..  The torture after capture was not too much fun he said..

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2016, 07:14:01 PM
ISRs or even FRS radios can mitigate the seperation issues - have regular check-ins and someone can practice their MRO skills.

I think teams of two is probably the way to go as that also stresses "wingman" on the cadet side.

Teams of two with ISRs sounds good. I actually meant to mention ISRs as a possibility and blanked out due to work distractions. That matches with how many of our cadet activities work. This, plus an adult at each checkpoint, and maybe roving team(s) if we can, would work out nicely...

I'm trying to build a nice portfolio of solid activities. I love the support of this community in that regard.

TheSkyHornet

We do orienteering/land nav all the time. Set some targets out, make members go out and find them, and screw with them while they're in the field with a change of plans to locate a new target.

We'll run multiple teams in the field at one time and have an operations unit back at post doing the planning/task assignment for the field teams. It really throws people into the arena of building leadership, cadets and seniors, and puts into practice what we teach in the classroom.