Senior Members - College experience?

Started by brasda91, May 17, 2007, 06:48:46 PM

For the Senior Members (Officers), what level of college do you have?

High School Graduate, no college
Attended some college classes, no degree
Associates Degree
Bachelors Degree
Masters Degree or higher

brasda91

There has been some talk about our Officers having a college degree.  While I for one do not agree with the idea, I thought it would be interesting to see how much of the membership on this board is college educated.  I have attended college and took a few classes, but that was it.  Found it too trivial to worry about homework after being deployed to the gulf during the first war.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

gallagheria

I am new to CAP, but it seems to me to be a good idea to require a college degree. Now, we should have some special system similar to the warrant officers in most services so that if a person is a pilot or other high trained specialty and does not have a college degree then he or she can still be an warrant officer.

Pylon

Should be interesting.  One item of note:  I would suggest adding Masters or higher to the list.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Al Sayre

I think we did this before, but it may have been on the other board.  We found a lot of people bemoaning the fact that our officers didn't have degrees on one thread and then came up with 9 or 10 pages of people checking in with their degrees on another...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

40 units.....I needed 35 to work for my Department.  The EMT course put me over the top!

I dont plan on getting anymore unless for some reason I need to.  And "need to" AINT going to be CAP mandated!  Although I know some colleges will convert my ratings to college credit.

Im pretty satisfied with my Commercial-Instrument airplane, Private helicopter and Private Glider "degrees" ;D

Lord knows Ive spent enough money. I coulda had a Phd!

I personally enjoy being an illiterate knuckle-dragger.

capchiro

12 years of college, four degrees, too many licenses and certifications to count, and that's not counting my Admiralship from Nebraska..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

lordmonar

I got a BA in History.

Back in '84 had a full ride to University of Arkansas....EE.  Did poorly....did you know if you don't go to class or do any home work, or study, you FAIL classes? :o

Anyway...lost my ride.....went to a semester at the local community college until I joined the USAF.

Took some classes over the next 14 years or so but nothing much.  Then I discovered CLEP tests!  Got my CCAF AA degree in Electronics Technologies and then started working on my BA.  Graduated University of Maryland in 2005.  Lots of on-line courses.

I am now working on my masters of secondary education with University of Phoenix.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ELTHunter

When my college instructors said you can miss three classes and it won't affect your grade, I took them at their word :)  I thought that meant that you were obligated to miss three classes.  After playing for three quarters and almost getting thrown out, I worked all summer to earn enough money to go back in the fall.  That's when I discovered that going to class does wonders for your ability to get good grades.  That's the fortunate thing about that experience.  The unfortunate thing was my Dad realized I could earn enough money during the summer to pay for a full quarters worth of tuition, books, room & board, so I got to do that every summer.

I don't think that a college degree should necessarily be required, but it's embarrassing to have field grade officers that can hardly compose a coherent paragraph or communicate clearly.  Some standards need to apply.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 18, 2007, 12:48:28 AM
I don't think that a college degree should necessarily be required, but it's embarrassing to have field grade officers that can hardly compose a coherent paragraph or communicate clearly.  Some standards need to apply.

I've seen lawyers and other professionals for which that could be considered a valid compliant.. Don't forget spelling, either.  I've encountered a couple of staff seargents in my current unit that couldn't sort out homonyms to save their sorry behinds.. Watching them try to write/re-write/re-write/re-write awards packages was excruciating.. But what the heck do I know, I'm just an old, civilian guy.  A modicum of common sense wouldn't hurt either.

V/R,

John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

brasda91

Quote from: Pylon on May 17, 2007, 07:30:01 PM
Should be interesting.  One item of note:  I would suggest adding Masters or higher to the list.   ;)

Done.  Sorry, didn't mean to overlook anybody.  Simply my lack of college experience to remember the degrees.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flyerthom

BA History, Teachers cert Secondary Ed Social Studies with some credits towards an M. Ed. Did absolutely nothing with it except get a now lapsed EMT B Instructor rating. The I got a Associated Applied Sciences - Nursing (RN) which pays my bills. I did better going backwards on the degree ladder. I now hold specialty Certification in Emergency Nursing,  EMS nurse, ACLS Instructor  yadda yadda.

Sort of undercuts the collection of credits for officership.
TC

sandman

MSN (RN), ACLS-I, BLS-I, PALS-I, NALS-I, TNCC, C-4, yadda, yadda, yadda...
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

sardak

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on May 18, 2007, 02:30:29 AM
I've seen lawyers and other professionals for which that could be considered a valid compliant.. Don't forget spelling, either.

Ahem.  ;)

Mike

Stonewall

I've been a college student off and on, full time and part tim since 1997.  I've got an associates and 18 credtis shy of my BS in Criminal Justice and Publice Safety.  I take a class here and there.  Was planning to graduate this December but some things got in the way. 

Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on May 18, 2007, 02:30:29 AMI've encountered a couple of staff seargents in my current unit that couldn't sort out homonyms to save their sorry behinds..

Hey...we're not supposed to ask about those sort of words, so long as they don't tell! >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DeputyDog

A.A. in General Studies
B.S. in Criminology

I will complete my first M.S. in December (I have one more class to take).

I have to get a second M.S. because the Ph.D program (Criminology) that I want to get into will not accept my first one. I only have to take 24 more hours to get my second M.S.

I am sick of school.

James Shaw

A.A.T. in Manufacturing Technology (work related) 2003
A.A.S. in Business Administration 2004
A.A.S. in Philosophy (just so I could argue!) 2005
B.S.    in Human Resources (new work related) 2007
MBA   currently in progress (just started)

My employeer Procter and Gamble pays (reimbursed after passing class with atleast a C) for my education 100% up to the Masters Level as long as it is somewhat work related. They wont pay for Psychology or Education Degrees but they have paid for most of the above. I figure I will use the money as long as they will continue to pay.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

ColonelJack

B.A., LaGrange College, 1989
M.Ed., LaGrange College, 1996
Ed.S., Columbus State University, 2001

And I'm working on my Ed.D. through online courses.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

DrDave

B.A. Biology and Chemistry 1983
M.D. 1989

Completing a Master's Degree in Health Services Management.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

captrncap

AAS in Nursing
BA in Health Care Adminstration
MS in Quality Management