Main Menu

Bill in NYS Assembly

Started by stixco1, August 19, 2015, 08:41:25 PM

stixco1

If you are in NY please e-mail and/call you representative and lets get this bill rolling.

winterg

A month of paid leave a year for being in CAP? And, is this just for pilots?

Quote...WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE UNITED STATES  AIR  FORCE  AUXILIARY CIVIL AIR PATROL OR THE UNITED STATES COAST GUARD AUXILIARY PILOTS SHALL...

Emphasis mine.

SAREXinNY

Stix,

This bill is only for public (government) employees.  If you are a current public employee you might want to ask your HR department about paid leave.  I work for NY State and they allow me five days per year for CAP training (and in all honesty, five days is usually plenty).  They justify it under a different section of law that is already on the books.  If you want more info PM me. 

stixco1

I work for the Broome County Sheriff - checked with County personal when I joined and they said they would take it on a case by case basis. He gave me 1 day for the current SAR mission and I had to use my own leave credits.

THRAWN

Quote from: winterg on August 19, 2015, 09:25:57 PM
A month of paid leave a year for being in CAP? And, is this just for pilots?

Quote...WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE UNITED STATES  AIR  FORCE  AUXILIARY CIVIL AIR PATROL OR THE UNITED STATES COAST GUARD AUXILIARY PILOTS SHALL...

Emphasis mine.

Members of CAP or Coastie pilots. It doesn't just apply to CAP pilots.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: stixco1 on August 19, 2015, 08:51:00 PM
If you are in NY please e-mail and/call you representative and lets get this bill rolling.

It's been tabled for 9 months. Not looking good for this bill.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: SAREXinNY on August 20, 2015, 12:00:18 AM
Stix,

This bill is only for public (government) employees.  If you are a current public employee you might want to ask your HR department about paid leave.  I work for NY State and they allow me five days per year for CAP training (and in all honesty, five days is usually plenty).  They justify it under a different section of law that is already on the books.  If you want more info PM me.

Or you could just post the legal citation here without all the cloak and dagger bilge. That way, people who live outside the Empire might be able to marry up language in the laws of their home states.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

That makes sense. And I see from another response that this would only apply to government employees. I can still see a lot of potential for abuse not to mention a lot of [edited] annoyed employers! "What? You need another week off!?"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: winterg on August 20, 2015, 12:22:45 PM
That makes sense. And I see from another response that this would only apply to government employees. I can still see a lot of potential for abuse not to mention a lot of [edited] annoyed employers! "What? You need another week off!?"

Indeed.  When I joined CAP my employer at that time was very supportive in many ways, just not when it came to time off for unannounced activities.  My manager made it very clear: we pay you to be here to work.  Feel free to use your leave time (which was actually more generous than most) and request it in advance per the usual process.  There was no support for the idea of an unannounced absence for SAR. 

I actually had a good relationship with the employer, and the cadet program benefitted from that relationship so I chose not to push the point.  There were other employees in CAP, located elsewhere in the country, and I didn't want to make their lives more difficult as their local management might have a differing view. 

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

RiverAux

Why in heavens name would they restrict it to only pilots?  Or was this just horribly written legislative language?

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2015, 07:02:34 PM
Why in heavens name would they restrict it to only pilots?  Or was this just horribly written legislative language?

It's not restricted to CAP Pilots.  It's for all CAP Members and Coast Guard Aux Pilots.  If your questions was just for the CG Aux, I have no idea.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Shuman 14

Coxswain... Pilot... what's the difference? Legally speaking of course.  ;D
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SAREXinNY

Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2015, 12:22:12 PM
Quote from: SAREXinNY on August 20, 2015, 12:00:18 AM
Stix,

Or you could just post the legal citation here without all the cloak and dagger bilge. That way, people who live outside the Empire might be able to marry up language in the laws of their home states.

I wasn't being "all cloak and dagger" I couldn't remember the name of the law off the top of my head (I had it written down at work).  I looked it up today while I was in the office and, anyone cares at this point, my office provides me five days of paid leave per calendar year pursuant to the New York State Defense Emergency Act of 1951.  If my office's HR Department's email to me would be helpful for anyone else who works in public sector in NYS please PM me and I'll send you a copy.  Maybe that email may sway a supervisor.

As a side note I used to work in Binghamton, and worked pretty regularly with BingPD and Vestal PD. I definitely miss it there, it's a great place to live and work. Stay safe Stix.