NHQ/IT removal of cadet WSA permissions for reports

Started by Spam, July 15, 2015, 03:04:32 AM

Spam

Some of you may have noticed, some may not, but I've discovered that very recently NHQ/IT has removed the capability for unit commanders to assign web security admin (WSA) permissions for cadet members to access applications and reports. I've submitted trouble ticket #38565, and Tim Cooper has been very responsive in replying and forwarding this for discussion to Membership and Cadet Programs.

The (in my opinion) good and justifiable rationale for their action seems to be that they'd discovered that cadets were being assigned restricted applications. While I agree with that position (e.g. cadets don't have a duty assignment need for vehicle reports, nor certainly for access to cadet testing inputs) this blanket removal of ALL permissions does impair my cadet members in their assigned duties, so I've asked if we can get a decision on restoring some of the non-sensitive reports and modules. I don't believe the right answer is valve full closed, nor should it be valve full open access, but I think they need some suggestions on where to set access. Note: this is only to ALLOW COMMANDERS the ability to set access permissions for members they already deem to have a need to know. In my case, for a large group of cadet officers and NCOs.

So, in addition to posting this for general info, I'm seeking feedback on specific cases where we could provide NHQ some rational, thought out, specific guidance on appropriate areas to allow Commanders to set cadet module assignment. If you're interested, you may want to view the list at:  https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.WSA.Web/Modules/Add.aspx

Some, I believe, include:

- Unit rosters - Personnel Information - Read Only module.  My cadet officers and NCOs do a weekly call down/up, as part of their leadership and management training, and the rosters are necessary access (note, this is NOT the restricted one). In practice, I only grant this to my six or seven cadet officers and my top few NCOs, as a required job aid for their positions.

- Commanders Dashboard - Mission Support - Read Only. My Wing/CC allows all his subordinates access to view his dashboard metrics. I (was) doing the same for my subordinate cadets, so they can see where we all are tracking as a team. As part of cadet development I'd like the ability back to include them.

- Cadet promotions - reports - read only - with/without scores (my cadet commander and his staff need this to support mentoring and instruction, and to monitor metrics on how their people are advancing/performing. Note, if you don't "do" WSA, this is a separate permission from "Data Entry". Example reports that my cadet staff use routinely, accessed from this page, include:
= Cadet Physical Fitness Training Data Input Worksheet
= No Promotions in Past 120 Days
= Cadet Tracking Report (with Scores) (to target who needs peer mentoring)

- Ops Quals applications (SOME of). I have had several over-18 SET qualified cadet GTLs and a couple cadet MOs, and have a brace of cadet officers who are SET qualified, who I am unable to get permissions to Ops Quals.
= Need all three Ops Quals ES sub apps.
= Need Ops Quals Reports (with the exception of all Counter Drug).
= Do NOT want cadets to have access to any Counter Drug apps.
= Unsure about the need for cadet access to validations apps... if my 20 year old GTL has someone claim that he signed a SQTR, he should be able to validate that task. I don't believe this module supersedes the unit/CC approval/denial module, so this seems a valid app. Seeking feedback here.
= Unsure about the need for ability to assign cadet member access to MP apps. I had a cadet MO with over a hundred hours, but he went to the USAF Academy before being within striking distance of MP, so this might be such an exceedingly rare instance, it might not be worth it.

Any additions or challenges? I'm sure I've missed something.

PS, I'll forestall the mandatory Captalk thread uniform content... no, no cadet uniform module access needed  :)

V/R,
Spam

JeffDG

Personally, I think it's none of NHQ's business, and the whole thing should be up to the local commander to control.

Tim Day

Quote from: JeffDG on July 15, 2015, 11:19:55 AM
Personally, I think it's none of NHQ's business, and the whole thing should be up to the local commander to control.
Yes, agree.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Spam

Well, yeah, I agree too (read my comments in the eServices help ticket, for example. This is what they (don't) pay us as Commanders to decide.

However, if it is caught in limbo right now, perhaps some constructive feedback might help the directorates arrive at a decision. Right now due to lack of data access, I have cadet officers sitting unable to do their jobs, forcing my officer staff to do it for them. UNSAT.

We. Expect. More.

V/R,
Spam