Main Menu

CAP Tax write offs

Started by DrJbdm, June 11, 2015, 12:20:23 AM

DrJbdm

Ok, I am sure this question has been asked and answered but I am too lazy to look for myself....lol. Ok, here is the question to the resident tax experts.

All of the flying I do is for CAP, I'm a SAR/DR Mission Pilot, I fly about 5 to 10 hours a month for CAP., many of which are funded A missions and a few B and C missions. I have not done any non CAP flying in years. My question is this: can I detect the new Bose Headset I had to purchase this year after my DC headset finally gave it up? Can I also detect my Foreflight subscription as well as the Stratus 2 that I use religiously when flying IFR?

Can I detect all of the non reimbursable C missions flown for proficiency? Trying to see what is tax deductible and what isn't. I have a really good guy in the squadron who says all of that plus your mileage to any CAP event is deductible. I just want to get a second and third opinions once I know several of you re really good with the tax codes and what is right when it comes to CAP. I'm trying really hard not have the opportunity to enjoy one of the many beautiful federal prisons....lol.

Alaric

Quote from: DrJbdm on June 11, 2015, 12:20:23 AM
Ok, I am sure this question has been asked and answered but I am too lazy to look for myself....lol. Ok, here is the question to the resident tax experts.

All of the flying I do is for CAP, I'm a SAR/DR Mission Pilot, I fly about 5 to 10 hours a month for CAP., many of which are funded A missions and a few B and C missions. I have not done any non CAP flying in years. My question is this: can I detect the new Bose Headset I had to purchase this year after my DC headset finally gave it up? Can I also detect my Foreflight subscription as well as the Stratus 2 that I use religiously when flying IFR?

Can I detect all of the non reimbursable C missions flown for proficiency? Trying to see what is tax deductible and what isn't. I have a really good guy in the squadron who says all of that plus your mileage to any CAP event is deductible. I just want to get a second and third opinions once I know several of you re really good with the tax codes and what is right when it comes to CAP. I'm trying really hard not have the opportunity to enjoy one of the many beautiful federal prisons....lol.

I have a Master's in accounting and my advice is don't take any advice from here, consult a professional accountant.

PHall

Quote from: Alaric on June 11, 2015, 12:35:04 AM
Quote from: DrJbdm on June 11, 2015, 12:20:23 AM

I have a Master's in accounting and my advice is don't take any advice from here, consult a professional accountant.

Bonus if you can find one who is familar with CAP.

SarDragon

It's deduct, not detect.

That said, generally, only those items used EXCLUSIVELY  for CAP use are deductible. As a deduction, it is documented on the Schedule A, which is generally filed only when you own  a home. PM me for more details.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret