bypass accessory connector on ef johnson 5317

Started by pfdore, May 02, 2015, 02:27:50 AM

pfdore

I own an EF Johnson 5317 for my personal use. I put new power cables on it so I have either the option of hooking it to my vehicle cigarette lighter or can clip it to a 12v battery in the field. The problem is something needs to be done with the accessory connector before it will power up.  I heard it was the 6 pin in the connector that does this. Without getting a jumper, how do I bypass this feature so I can power up?

Your help is appreciated.

2Lt Phillip F Dore

pfdore

By the way, I saw a link to a 2013 article that might have shed some light on this, but that article is no longer on the CAP Comm site and or the link no longer works.

arajca

That lead is the ignition sense lead. You don't bypass it unless you're willing to play with the software settings, but I'm not sure there is a software selection for it. If that wire does not detect 12v, the radio will not turn on, even if you have the main power connected. I have seen several radios in vehicles (usually when I'm doing a decommission or reinstall) where they wired the ignition sense to the main power lead. Also done on base stations. It was pin 6 that needed the 12v.

Also, you need to jumper pins 1&3. That allows the internal speaker to work. Basically, pin 1 has the audio out, pin 2 is the external speaker return, and pin 3 is the internal speaker feed.

pfdore

I can order the accessory cabling if I can find an EFJ dealer.  That includes the jumper for the speakers? and how is that wired?  Can pin six go straight to say, the positive terminal on a 12v battery if I rig as a field radio?

arajca

The standard set up has a short jumper between pins and 1 and 3. Pin 6 can to any 12v source, including the battery. It just needs to have power.

Check with your wing DC. He may have some extra accessory plug kits. The mobiles came with one plug pre-wired and and a couple pieces of wire with pins and a connector without pins so you could make your own custom connector.

Brad

Quote from: arajca on May 02, 2015, 03:44:44 AM
The standard set up has a short jumper between pins and 1 and 3. Pin 6 can to any 12v source, including the battery. It just needs to have power.

Check with your wing DC. He may have some extra accessory plug kits. The mobiles came with one plug pre-wired and and a couple pieces of wire with pins and a connector without pins so you could make your own custom connector.

Correct, your Wing DC should hopefully have a supply of the accessory pigtail. If not, if the radio is a CAP asset you can go to the NTC website and under the repair system file a request for accessories for the radio, and should your DC approve it NTC will send you the pigtail connector.

As a side-note if you're really in a pinch the small bundle of green ground wire that comes with the EF Johnson package can be used to fashion a makeshift accessory plug. The fork connector just happens to be the same width as the space between pins 1 & 3, so cut off that fork connector and stick the connector in pins 1 & 3. Strip out the now bare ground wire end and put it into the fuse connector. Take the other end and cut one of the forks off the connector. Stick the remainder in pin 6 and now you have a makeshift accessory plug until you can get a new one.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN