Main Menu

Regulation Backpacks?

Started by ranger0305, April 08, 2015, 09:20:05 PM

ranger0305

Hi guys iv'e been told by lots of people when your starting ES to just throw the equipment into your regular school backpack. But i was reading the regs earlier and this is what it says..

6.3.1.4.3. Back Packs. Black backpacks may be worn with any uniform
combination. Only solid-color black backpacks will be worn with blue uniform combinations. BDUpatterned
backpacks, olive drab and Air Force sage green may be worn with the BDU. Small logos are
authorized. Members may wear a backpack on the left shoulder or both shoulders (not to interfere with
rendering the proper salute). Backpacks will not have ornamentation, a high-gloss, designs, or
hanging/dangling objects. Small gold or silver clasp authorized, but chains are not authorized.

So how is your regular school backpack within regs? I was planning on using my coyote tan backpack but dont see how that is within regs. Also the required packing list for ES suggests a " Day pack (preferably red or orange)". Are there different regs regarding ES packs?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

RiverAux

Well, school backpacks come in a variety of colors and styles.  Some may actually fit within CAP regulations and some may not. 

TexasBEAST

Quote from: ranger0305 on April 08, 2015, 09:20:05 PM
So how is your regular school backpack within regs?
If it's black (or Woodland camo or OD or sage green), and it doesn't have any glaring logos/decorations, then it generally sounds like it meets the requirements for backpack wear in uniform, so that's how it's within regs.

QuoteI was planning on using my coyote tan backpack but dont see how that is within regs.
The previous edition of the manual did authorize brown backpacks, but apparently that got dropped (like brown undershirts for BDUs).

QuoteAlso the required packing list for ES suggests a " Day pack (preferably red or orange)". Are there different regs regarding ES packs?
Well, there are different publications--not necessarily "regs". Sorry to be splitting hairs, but this is a bone of contention with some folks.

The GT Tasks book requires professionalism with a GT member's pack, and preferably even uniformity amongst the whole team. It goes on to recommend orange or red as the color, for visibility purposes (this is part of the passive SAR tactic of "attraction"). Since a reflective orange safety vest is required to be worn over the uniform, and your GT ES day gear is considered part of your uniform while doing GT ops, then the orange vest is supposed to be worn over your pack, too. Obviously, this is a pain. So the Tasks book authorizes you to substitute a reflective orange tactical vest instead of the safety vest. And it also recommends an orange or red tactical backpack to complement the tactical vest.

Where this gets tricky is that 39-1 says to defer to the Tasks book where it requires special stuff; but the Tasks book doesn't actually require an orange or red backpack--it only recommends it. So a backpack seems to be in a gray area, IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and also, the Tasks book and reference text book discuss lashing other items or pockets to your vest or backpack, such as a tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad/etc. Obviously, this goes against what 39-1 says about no dangly bits. So there is definitely some inconsistency between normal/garrison/office duty and operational duty.
--TB

SarDragon

I see a difference between ES gear, and a school back pack style drag-you-CAP-junk-to-the-meeting piece of gear. It appears that the quote is addressing the latter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on April 09, 2015, 01:25:44 AM
I see a difference between ES gear, and a school back pack style drag-you-CAP-junk-to-the-meeting piece of gear. It appears that the quote is addressing the latter.
+1

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

almostspaatz

Quote from: lordmonar on April 09, 2015, 01:49:41 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 09, 2015, 01:25:44 AM
+1
+2

Wearing a backpack with a uniform and going on an ES mission, I see as 2 different things
C/Maj Steve Garrett

ranger0305

Thanks alot guys, it seemed like the ES regs would be different then the regular wearing of a backpack.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*