2 promotion per year, or 2B

Started by Equinox, February 20, 2015, 08:04:41 PM

Equinox

Is there a regulation somewhere that states cadets will have their memberships terminated if they cannot complete 2 or more achievements/promotions within 12 months? I thought I remembered hearing this somewhere.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Garibaldi

Try 52-16 or 39-3. It used to be that we would 2b, but that be something we be not doing.

I think I'm having a stroke...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

vorteks

Quote from: Equinox on February 20, 2015, 08:04:41 PM
Is there a regulation somewhere that states cadets will have their memberships terminated if they cannot complete 2 or more achievements/promotions within 12 months? I thought I remembered hearing this somewhere.

Not exactly. Have a read through 35-3.

SECTION A . CADETS
3. Causes to Terminate Cadet Membership.
    b. Failure to progress satisfactorily in the CAP cadet program.

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_003_B74F5A60C44CF.pdf

Майор Хаткевич

It USED to say 2 achievement per year. Now it's more flexible as quoted above.

LSThiker

There was. It has since been removed.  I forget when, but I think it was in early or mid-2000s

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on February 20, 2015, 08:28:07 PM
There was. It has since been removed.  I forget when, but I think it was in early or mid-2000s

No, it was definitely in one if the 2009-on rewrites.

vorteks

Quote from: Equinox on February 20, 2015, 08:04:41 PM

Also consider having a look at this lively discussion.   >:D

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19637.0

PHall

Really???  A cadet doesn't promote twice a year and you want to 2b them?

What's your "real" reason for wanting to terminate them?  Cuz a 2b for not promoting fast enough is just plain bogus.

Capt Thompson

I know I'll catch flack for saying this, but oh well....... the reg doesn't seem to state the 2 promotion rule, but the CP portion of OBC Block 2 still mentions it, so I'm sure there are Squadrons following the rule. If a Cadet were to appeal the decision though, and it isn't in the regs they could probably get it overturned.

If I'm not mistaken, this was 2 promotions through the enlisted grades. If a C/LtCol didn't make Spaatz in a year we wouldn't terminate them I wouldn't think.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on February 20, 2015, 08:50:20 PM[/size]Really???  A cadet doesn't promote twice a year and you want to 2b them?What's your "real" reason for wanting to terminate them?  Cuz a 2b for not promoting fast enough is just plain bogus.

Why can't that be the real reason? If they are on the rolls for..."whatever", then after discussions, attempts, and no signs of improvement, why would they stick around?

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 08:54:17 PM
I know I'll catch flack for saying this, but oh well....... the reg doesn't seem to state the 2 promotion rule, but the CP portion of OBC Block 2 still mentions it, so I'm sure there are Squadrons following the rule. If a Cadet were to appeal the decision though, and it isn't in the regs they could probably get it overturned.

If I'm not mistaken, this was 2 promotions through the enlisted grades. If a C/LtCol didn't make Spaatz in a year we wouldn't terminate them I wouldn't think.

There was never a specific cut off, and no one will terminate an Eaker cadet for lack of progression.

vorteks

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 20, 2015, 09:01:22 PM

Quote from: PHall on February 20, 2015, 08:50:20 PM
Really???  A cadet doesn't promote twice a year and you want to 2b them? What's your "real" reason for wanting to terminate them?  Cuz a 2b for not promoting fast enough is just plain bogus.

Why can't that be the real reason? If they are on the rolls for..."whatever", then after discussions, attempts, and no signs of improvement, why would they stick around?

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 08:54:17 PM

There was never a specific cut off, and no one will terminate an Eaker cadet for lack of progression.

FTFY

Capt Thompson

Ok wasn't sure if there was a cutoff. I also wouldn't consider terminating a Cadet that was actively trying to promote, and falling short, or a Cadet that was struggling with making the PT test score and it took a little longer to promote.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: veritec on February 20, 2015, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 20, 2015, 09:01:22 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 20, 2015, 08:50:20 PMReally???  A cadet doesn't promote twice a year and you want to 2b them? What's your "real" reason for wanting to terminate them?  Cuz a 2b for not promoting fast enough is just plain bogus.
Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 08:54:17 PMI know I'll catch flack for saying this, but oh well....... the reg doesn't seem to state the 2 promotion rule, but the CP portion of OBC Block 2 still mentions it, so I'm sure there are Squadrons following the rule. If a Cadet were to appeal the decision though, and it isn't in the regs they could probably get it overturned. If I'm not mistaken, this was 2 promotions through the enlisted grades. If a C/LtCol didn't make Spaatz in a year we wouldn't terminate them I wouldn't think.
FTFY

I have NO idea why that happens...>_>

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 09:19:04 PM
Ok wasn't sure if there was a cutoff. I also wouldn't consider terminating a Cadet that was actively trying to promote, and falling short, or a Cadet that was struggling with making the PT test score and it took a little longer to promote.

A cadet trying, is not what the option was for.

Eclipse

Want to?  No. Need to?  Maybe.

What's your "real" reason for wanting to terminate them?  Cuz a 2b for not promoting fast enough is just plain bogus.

If they are trying and failing, then you still have to have the discussion.  If they aren't attempting or testing, not
much to discuss.  CAP isn't a rec center, it has expectations of performance for cadets, and one of those is progression.
A cadet not progressing is either not participating enough, or has his attention in the wrong place.

With that said, it's entirely subjective to the respective CC, and was never mandatory.

"That Others May Zoom"

Equinox

Oh I don't know, maybe the core value of "excellence".

Or maybe the part of the cadet oath where the cadet swears to "advance my education and training rapidly".

"Integrity" might also play a part in the decision.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

LSThiker

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 20, 2015, 08:32:57 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on February 20, 2015, 08:28:07 PM

No, it was definitely in one if the 2009-on rewrites.

Possibly. I was thinking it was around the same time they removed the pregnancy clause, which was in the early 2000s.  Meh, not like it really matters anyway since it has been removed.

Luis R. Ramos

With that sad, it's entirely subjective to the respective CC...

Well, it would make a lot of people sad if cadets do not promote, but I think you really meant the following. If that is the case IWFTFY.

With that sad said, it's entirely subjective to therespective CC...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

coudano

I don't have authoritative memory here,
but I think the membership reg always called for 'satisfactory'

the CP regs, I think, used to specify 2 a year

Having run a local program where I have enforced non-progression with verbal, written counseling and even administrative action (unlike the vast majority of cap squadrons i'm sure), I could probably thread-jack with a dozen reasons why having cadets promoting less often than every 6 months can create issues that you really don't want to deal with on the short or long term, but it's friday night. :)

Grumpy

Quote from: Equinox on February 20, 2015, 09:32:42 PM

Oh I don't know, maybe the core value of "excellence".

Or maybe the part of the cadet oath where the cadet swears to "advance my education and training rapidly".

"Integrity" might also play a part in the decision.

What do we do with senior members who have been 1st Lieutenants for 5 to 10 years and just don't want to jump through all the hoops and promote?  Haven't seen many of them who have been Administratively Discharged.

coudano

Quote from: Grumpy on February 21, 2015, 06:45:06 AM
What do we do with senior members who have been 1st Lieutenants for 5 to 10 years and just don't want to jump through all the hoops and promote?  Haven't seen many of them who have been Administratively Discharged.

get them a cup of coffee and thank them for their service.

advancing education and training rapidly to prepare themselves to be of service to their community, state, and nation is not a core (regulatorily programmed) element of the senior member PD program, like it is for cadets.  Failure to progress is not listed as a 'cause' for termination for senior members in the membership reg like it is for cadets.