National CC's December Update

Started by stixco1, December 30, 2014, 11:26:27 PM

stixco1

In the December 2014 National CC's update he talks about "streamlining" policy & procedure to make it easier and less burdensome for initial qual & maintaining quals.   

I found on the PD side of things it was very simple to complete Level 1, OBC, Basic instructor, in a matter of 2 weeks.

However on the ES side of things the process seems a lot more cumbersome. I have 20yrs as a volunteer FF/EMT and 19 yrs with Sheriff Office. In NYS the DEC is responsible for all ground search and rescue. They offer an 8 hr "Basic Wild-land Search"class for FF's that is all that is required to participate in searches. I understand CAP is a federal/National organization. The SQTR for GT3 is not "hard" to accomplish however it is time consuming. Then to add to once you have all the requirements you have to get 3 levels of approvals.

Eclipse

You can't really compare something that you can power through on your own time to
a situation that requires "getting started" orientation as well as hands-on skills evaluation.

A reasonably adept adult could easily complete the majority of the SQTR in a single day,
then there's just the mission to complete, which are designed to get the member invested
in the entire system.  Certainly after 8 hours a member should be fam/prepped enough to
go on missions a trainee.

The challenge for CAP is the GTM is the only survival-type training offered, and so much time
is spent on kitty holes, field hygiene, and living in the filed, and that it adds a lot to
the "SAR" part.  This despite the fact that missions with camping are few and far between because
they are generally unnecessary.

I don't know how you split them, but I would think it would be possible to separate the SAR stuff from
the survival stuff.  You don't need a 72-hour pack for line searching or ramp checks, or even generally for ELT searches.

With that said, its remarkable who ill-prepared the average member is these days for anything beyond a
walk in the woods on a concrete path, fieldcraft is just not something that is on the average
Halo-players radar these days.  As a Boy Scout, nothing on the GT SQTR was particularly advanced or difficult
though I still struggle a bit with map work if I don't have time to get really orientated, but most kids these
days couldn't build a fire in the woods to save their life (which it might).

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

JC004

Perhaps first streamline the link from e-services to the CC Update...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eclipse

Quote from: coudano on December 31, 2014, 11:07:57 AM
Udft

You're right, sorta - would have to add the non-DF SAR stuff to the mix UDF today is focused on ELTs,
the larger problem is that it has no badge, therefore it does not stir men's souls...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on December 31, 2014, 04:38:05 PM

What >is< the deal with that?  Is the CMS broken, or is stuff posted to check some box then taken down?

There's all kinds of stuff that hits the RSS, especially job postings, that is gone when you hit the link.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on December 31, 2014, 04:49:17 PM
Quote from: JC004 on December 31, 2014, 04:38:05 PM

What >is< the deal with that?  Is the CMS broken, or is stuff posted to check some box then taken down?

There's all kinds of stuff that hits the RSS, especially job postings, that is gone when you hit the link.

It might be glitches with upgrading to the new system, in which case I guess we just give them time to finish it.  I'm not sure. 

I did find the update page eventually, but I did not see things on streamlining policies there.  Never mind...I clicked on the newest one...it's for January, put out in Dec.