Failing Leadership 3 test

Started by abysmal, April 26, 2005, 05:20:40 AM

abysmal

The story goes something like this.
A cadet joins CAP about 18 months ago.
Gets his 1st and 2nd stripe in the due course of his early membership.
Then runs head first into the leadership test for Sr. Airman and fails it.
Takes it again, and fails it.
This cycle repeats itself 13 times in a row.

Yes, you read that correctly, he has taken and FAILED this same test 13 times.

For reasons that i can not even begin to fathom, NO ONE has intervened with this Cadet and done anything whatsoever to rectify the situation. he is just left to his own accord to sink or swim.

Tonight I see the cadet staff having a conversation with this young man and I walk over to listen in on whats going on. he is being corrected for having a very poor looking uniform and for wearing a white t-shirt. Its obvious to me that the  cadet is not taking the criticism well, and is offering back reasons and excuses that are not appropriate and suggest that he is combative and uninterested in taking correction actions. So i take the cadet aside to have a private conversation with him to ascertain why he is coming to CAP..

Over the course of this conversation he explains what has been going on with him for the last 18 months and I quickly see why he has such low motivation.
I let him know that as of tonight he will become my personal project cadet, that one way or the other the two of us are going to find a way for him to get past this test. This cadet is an athlete and absolutely BLOWS every other cadet out of the competion on ALL of the CPPT. He has NO problems with the Aerospace tests, has excellent attendance, and in general appears to be a smart/intelligent young man.

Given all that...

#1.
How does a cadet fall through the cracks in the system and be allowed to test and fail and test and fail, time and time again?? Is there anything in the system that should have flagged this cycle and interupted it 10 months ago??

#2.
What should I do to help him pass this test.

Would it be GROSSLY out of line for me to sit down with him on testing night, and walk through this test, one item at a time, and discuss with him each question and possible answer and help him reason/work his way through it to success after having failed it 13 times in a row??
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

arajca

#1 It is entirely possible that no one was tracking how many times a cadet takes a test. With SIMS, it is easy to check that. Depending on the unit, it can be the flight sergeant's job to track this - or no one's - or someone else's. We use SIMS at my squadron and pull up the test history of each cadet monthly.

#2 What you suggest is a gross violation of the regs. It would be appropriate to sit down and go through the appropriate chapter of the LL book and quiz him on various parts. Make the questions require thought and reference them back to the text. Ask him to paraphrase a couple sections to see if he is comprehending the material. If that doesn't work, have him take the test orally, but don't analyze the questions and answers. If he fails, check what parts he is failing and review those parts. Keep a record of them to track improvement. I presume your unit only keeps the top portion of the answer sheet like most. If for some reason, you have access to all the test answer sheets the cadet has filled out, look for a pattern.

We had a cadet with a similar problem, however, we didn't let it get to 13 attempts. The cadet passed  - with 80% - when I administered the test orally.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on April 26, 2005, 05:38:54 AM

#2 What you suggest is a gross violation of the regs. It would be appropriate to sit down and go through the appropriate chapter of the LL book and quiz him on various parts. Make the questions require thought and reference them back to the text. Ask him to paraphrase a couple sections to see if he is comprehending the material. If that doesn't work, have him take the test orally, but don't analyze the questions and answers. If he fails, check what parts he is failing and review those parts. Keep a record of them to track improvement. I presume your unit only keeps the top portion of the answer sheet like most. If for some reason, you have access to all the test answer sheets the cadet has filled out, look for a pattern.

Well, I certainly do NOT want to break regs.
But on the other hand I think its time to make sure this Cadet begins to move forward once again.
After 13 failures I am AMAZED he is still in the program.

I had the cadet come over to my house yesterday.
He and my son sat down and studied leadership 3 together and then went online and took the following tests.

http://www.flcadet.com/html/leadership.html

http://mdln.hws.edu/cap/modules/index.asp

http://www.sccscap.com/resources.html#2

http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000111.html#000111

They both failed to begin with, but by the end they were both pulling 80% pass rates.
Just as soon as I can get out of the office I will find some time to spend with the both of them and go over this chapter and see just what it is about it that is such a problem.

arajca

Quote from: abysmal on April 29, 2005, 02:01:12 AM
Well, I certainly do NOT want to break regs.
But on the other hand I think its time to make sure this Cadet begins to move forward once again.
After 13 failures I am AMAZED he is still in the program.
Which is why is I suggested reviewing the material, focusng on problem areas. If the kid has that much drive, spending the time will be well worth the effort.
I had the cadet come over to my house yesterday.
He and my son sat down and studied leadership 3 together and then went online and took the following tests.

http://www.flcadet.com/html/leadership.html

http://mdln.hws.edu/cap/modules/index.asp

http://www.sccscap.com/resources.html#2

http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000111.html#000111

They both failed to begin with, but by the end they were both pulling 80% pass rates.
Just as soon as I can get out of the office I will find some time to spend with the both of them and go over this chapter and see just what it is about it that is such a problem.

Sounds like a good start. If you can get him thinking he can pass, he will.

abysmal

It still bothers me DEEPLY that any cadet could be allowed to FAIL the same test 13 times in a row.

That suggests a MAJOR breakdown in the cadet management/tracking system. Which leads me to the next obvious question, of the other 28 cadets, how man of them are at a stand still in their progression???

arajca

Review their files. The test headers should be in there, regardless of pass or fail.

Plan a series of "Get to know you" meetings with the cadets. One on one (with door open of in same room as at least one other senior member). Find out what the cadets think, want, why they keep coming. Let you cadet staff know, so they won't think you're trying to undermine them.

Mac

I too had a cadet that failed LL3 test several times, after the second failure i started keeping the entire answer sheet and noticed a trend it took us about a month of one on one study time at meetings to get him to understand the material. He finally passed with with an 80%. It just took some time to get him passed this stage i guess.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

abysmal

Quote from: Nukem on April 29, 2005, 11:28:05 PM
I too had a cadet that failed LL3 test several times, after the second failure i started keeping the entire answer sheet and noticed a trend it took us about a month of one on one study time at meetings to get him to understand the material. He finally passed with with an 80%. It just took some time to get him passed this stage i guess.

Its all about TIME management.
So little time, so much to do, and so very few of us to do all of it!!
Its hard to run a cadet squadron with only 3 seniors, and its going to get a lot harder with only 2 now....

If there were enough staff, I would think things like this just wouldn't happen.

Mac

Quote from: abysmal on April 29, 2005, 11:42:22 PM
Its all about TIME management.
So little time, so much to do, and so very few of us to do all of it!!
Its hard to run a cadet squadron with only 3 seniors, and its going to get a lot harder with only 2 now....

If there were enough staff, I would think things like this just wouldn't happen.

I know that feeling, I have 34 senior members in my squadron, and if I can get 3 to show to work with cadets I'm doing well. Then I fond out that my Deputy Commanders of Cadets doesn't want the job anymore, and if I can find a new one, that will make 3 in one year. Maybe it's me. Who knows?
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

abysmal

That is nearly EXACTLY where we are.
Composite squadron, Senior meet on Weds, Cadets on Monday.
Senior side has LOADS of active members.
Cadet side has LOADS of active members.
But the two never cross paths.

On the cadet side we have the commander, the deputy and myself.
And the deputy just told us she is moving to texas, which leaves me and the commander.

abysmal

I am resurecting this thread....

As any of you that have been following this thread now, we as a squadron have been having a very rough time getting our cadets past this test.

I currently have 10 cadets attempting to pass this exam.
Last night 5 of them tested, 1 passed.
The other 5 did not come to testing night for reasons unknown, though I suspect I am loosing some of them because they see no hope in getting past this.

The cadet staff did a powerpoint presentation on Leadership three in an attempt to help some of these 10 cadets get over the hump, from all appearances it failed misserabley.

At this point I need to step in and do something.

We did manage to get TWO new senior members to join on the cadet side so for the very first time we have a working staff of FIVE seniors to draw on !!!

ladyreferee

Let me give you a suggestion.  I homeschool my boys and I teach them to review immediately after a test.  It helps to reinforce the correct answers.  After the first time my oldest cadet took the test, he failed the LL3 so he went through his booklet he studied from (in the car on the way home), and circled the information for all the questions he remembers he answered - whether or not he got the answer correct.  Then the next time he studies, he knows what he has to study!  Then it helps for the Wright Brothers test too.  Certainly by the time you've taken it twice (and failed it), you should be able to remember the questions that are stumping you and to look up the answers immediately!  We have a cadet who has also failed it three times, but once he turns the test in, he walks away and doesn't look at the chapter again until the next meeting.  Then he skims and thinks that is good enough!  NOT!
  Cheers!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

abysmal

I think the problem that I am dealing with here is that they have to UNLEARN the wrong answers they have been using over the course of multiple tests.

Learning is Hard enough.
But UN-Learing the wrong information is even worse!

Matt

The LL3 problem has appeared to be a problem for some time.  In fact, heard it through the grape vine that was one of the reasons for changing that to the Feik Achievement and instating the Wright Bros. Award.

As I recall, I scored kind of low on that test as many of your cadets have.  I, as a cadet, can't remember what seemed so hard on it.  Actually, it seemed easy, and perhaps that's why it's a problem.

Most of the chapters, as those who were and are cadets know, based on common sense.  Certain ones, such as LL3 aren't.

Being a SrA is the first step in the NCO chain, we must remember that, by earning SrA you prove a vast knowledge of the program, and most use it as a guide as to how long the cadet will remain in, believe it or not.

As for 13x failure, perhaps you need a word with your cadet commander.  Remember S*** goes down the chain as well as up.  No one can solely be responsible for the cadet not passing.  Your c/CC should have known this a while ago and should have asked or said something about it.  I can vouch for each of my cadets and my incoming cadets (merging 3 squadrons together... and breaking off in a few years - long story).

The idea behind the LL and the c/ COC is so that cadets can lead and learn.  If your c/cc isn't delegated down the COC or something isn't going up, there's a problem that lay deeper that needs addressing.

<INTERMISSION>

Ok, now... You said you were watching your cadets and how they interacted, and that this particular cadet is smart, or appears to be.  Make him realize what lay ahead of him in the cadet program as an NCO and if long enough, Officer grades.  I know of a cadet, good friend of mine, who was an A1C for 3 years to the day before he made SrA.  Not because he failed, or wasn't active, or didn't know anything, he just didn't test.  The kid is sharper than most, and knows a great deal.  Finding the key to make him test was the trick.  Your cadet has the motivation to test, that's apparent, and depending on his leadership position, if any, has the knowledge to pass.  Now, you have to find the key.

Matt

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

abysmal

Quote from: Matt on August 12, 2005, 02:41:45 PM
The LL3 problem has appeared to be a problem for some time.  In fact, heard it through the grape vine that was one of the reasons for changing that to the Feik Achievement and instating the Wright Bros. Award.

As I recall, I scored kind of low on that test as many of your cadets have.  I, as a cadet, can't remember what seemed so hard on it.  Actually, it seemed easy, and perhaps that's why it's a problem.

Most of the chapters, as those who were and are cadets know, based on common sense.  Certain ones, such as LL3 aren't.

Being a SrA is the first step in the NCO chain, we must remember that, by earning SrA you prove a vast knowledge of the program, and most use it as a guide as to how long the cadet will remain in, believe it or not.

As for 13x failure, perhaps you need a word with your cadet commander.  Remember S*** goes down the chain as well as up.  No one can solely be responsible for the cadet not passing.  Your c/CC should have known this a while ago and should have asked or said something about it.  I can vouch for each of my cadets and my incoming cadets (merging 3 squadrons together... and breaking off in a few years - long story).

The idea behind the LL and the c/ COC is so that cadets can lead and learn.  If your c/cc isn't delegated down the COC or something isn't going up, there's a problem that lay deeper that needs addressing.

<INTERMISSION>

Ok, now... You said you were watching your cadets and how they interacted, and that this particular cadet is smart, or appears to be.  Make him realize what lay ahead of him in the cadet program as an NCO and if long enough, Officer grades.  I know of a cadet, good friend of mine, who was an A1C for 3 years to the day before he made SrA.  Not because he failed, or wasn't active, or didn't know anything, he just didn't test.  The kid is sharper than most, and knows a great deal.  Finding the key to make him test was the trick.  Your cadet has the motivation to test, that's apparent, and depending on his leadership position, if any, has the knowledge to pass.  Now, you have to find the key.

Matt

Thanks for all the comments, and especially for the off-post list.
I have put it to use right-away!

Matt

no problemo... I just started highlighting in the new Leadership 2001.... now Monday, test, test, SDA, and PROMOTION!!!!  Kinda....

abysmal

Quote from: Matt on August 12, 2005, 11:28:43 PM
no problemo... I just started highlighting in the new Leadership 2001.... now Monday, test, test, SDA, and PROMOTION!!!!  Kinda....

So we should be looking for your signature to change to 1LT.....

Matt

If all goes well, in 2 mo.... I've gotten the Mitchell Syndrom...  I need to finish Ach. 9 and all that good stuff...

ThorntonOL

Yep, this was a problem for me back before they added the Feik achievement and made Wright Brothers a milestone achievment. I think it took me about 4-5 times to pass which really annoyed me and I studied for it also. There was something about that test I could never get.
In the end I practically memorized the whole chapter so I could pass, finally did and ended a c/Msgt by the time i transferred over to SM. (BY that time I was past wright brothers (chapter 3 old blue book).
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

mikeylikey

^ Thats what I don't get.  You fail a test, you just got a "free chance" to read the questions.  Take 10 minutes and go look up the answerers for the next time you take it!

I don't see how Cadets can fail a test more than ONCE. 
What's up monkeys?