How much is to much?

Started by Sgt. Problems, September 04, 2014, 07:48:02 PM

Sgt. Problems

So, today my squadron is appointing me to be Alpha Flight, Flight Sergeant. I've never been flight Sergeant before, but I've seen how the flight Sergeants acted at encampment and at my squadron. I notice how they sometimes yell, does that mean i can yell at the flight For example, if they are talking in formation or other bad stuff does that mean i have to yell at them. I don't want to get in trouble for being to tough, but our squadron basics are very disrespectful. Does this call for me to yell at them. Again, I don't want to get in trouble. And also our old flight Sergeant, who is now the cadet commander, used to made us do push ups :) for every mistake we made in drill in opening formation. He did do them with us so it wasnt hazing. Can i do this to. Thanks. :)

Eclipse

Yelling is not leadership. 

"Raising your voice above the din to be heard" is not "yelling".

If you have to speak loudly to be heard over the whine of an engine, that's fine,
until you move out of the noise. 

If you have to raise your voice in a quiet room 3 feet away from your cadets, you're doing it wrong.

A strong command voice will attract and command attention, and does not require yelling.

PT is not allowed for punishment at any level.  If you are ready to be a flight sergeant and this
issues is still a question in your mind, you need to review 52-16 and 52-10, and if anyone else in your unit,
cadet or senior doesn't understand this, then everyone needs some remediation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sgt. Problems

Thank you. I thought so. And I was going to bring this up to our cadet commander. He just told me its allowed but I thought it wasnt and thats why i brought it up here.

Eclipse

Well good on 'ye for checking.

That has been a tenant tenet for well before your cadet Commander was born, so one
has to wonder how it is still in the ether.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Seniors who don't know any better / care is most likely the right answer here. Of course since the cadet has his unit listed, maybe it will get addressed.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I was Safety Officer in a unit where the Cadet Commander thought he was R. Lee Ermey, and also took it upon himself to wear a flight cap with officer braid when he became Cadet Second Lieutenant. 

I called him on the second one the instant I saw it.  He tried to argue that he was an "officer," until the squadron CC and I both pointed out that he most certainly was not.

He was always trying to get by with things like dropping for push-ups for "disciplinary purposes," but unfortunately (for him) he never knew when the Safety Officer would drop by.

He probably hated me.  C'est la vie.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Luis R. Ramos

QuoteFrom Eclipse:
That has been a tenant for well ...

You probably mean tenet...

Tenant=resident of. Tenet=guide, dictum, belief, etc.

Having said that, great answer.

One of the previous units I was in met in an Armory. Cadet staff was always yelling in formation in the drill floor. Whether there was noise or not. So you can imagine how loud that was! Sometimes National Guardsmen also drilled. One or two times I pointed to them that the Guards never ever yelled or sounded as loud as they were... No effect...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Sgt. Problems on September 04, 2014, 07:48:02 PM
I've never been flight Sergeant before, but I've seen how the flight Sergeants acted at encampment and at my squadron. I notice how they sometimes yell, does that mean i can yell at the flight For example, if they are talking in formation or other bad stuff does that mean i have to yell at them.

That silliness that goes on at some encampments is part of the problem. Cadet staff positions at encampment or the unit are meant to help cadets develop leadership and organizational skills. Yelling does not contribute to that development process. Good leaders don't have to yell to get the attention of their team and accomplish their goals. If you have to yell to get people to listen to you, you're doing it wrong.

Eclipse

Another thing on my top 10 to fix in CAP - the disconnect between "normal" operations
and larger scale activities within many (most?) wings.

It's clear that the DCP is supposed to be involved in the selection of staff and curriculum for
encampments, but the practical reality is that it's usually a small group of people
who do it for years with little to no involvement from the CP staff (BTDTx12).

In situations where the encampment commander and staff are tight, right, and adhere to the
regulations, this is fine, usually, but places where the CC and/or commandant either think encampment
is BMT or band camp, problems ensue, and those problems are propagated back to the units and
throughout the wing, becoming a circle of problem.

This is why I was staunchly against losing the CAP-USAF oversight of encampments.  If nothing
else, they were a safety valve of common sense, though I acknowledge their involvement was not
consistent organization wide.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 05, 2014, 12:41:30 AM
If you have to yell to get people to listen to you, you're doing it wrong.

My MTI "team chief" had two settings for his voice: loud and profane, and louder and profane, no matter what setting he was in (well, he would sometimes calm down in the dayroom giving evening briefings).  He was a SrA.

My Training Superintendent was a very large, African-American Master Sergeant, very large, .0000001% body fat, very large, uniform completely immaculate, dark eyes burning out from under The Hat, very large, with a James Earl Jones Voice Of Doom (and did I mention very large?).  He had the kind of voice that caused seismic disturbances.

I do not think I ever heard him raise his voice, and I certainly never heard him drop profanity bombs...but let me tell you, every word he spoke, he spoke with AU-THOR-I-TAY, and he did not have to tell us raw Airmen (this is back before new recruits were referred to as "Trainee") to shut-up and listen...we just knew to do so.

People with that kind of presence are really hard to find.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on September 05, 2014, 08:22:00 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 05, 2014, 12:41:30 AM
If you have to yell to get people to listen to you, you're doing it wrong.

My MTI "team chief" had two settings for his voice: loud and profane, and louder and profane, no matter what setting he was in (well, he would sometimes calm down in the dayroom giving evening briefings).  He was a SrA.

My Training Superintendent was a very large, African-American Master Sergeant, very large, .0000001% body fat, very large, uniform completely immaculate, dark eyes burning out from under The Hat, very large, with a James Earl Jones Voice Of Doom (and did I mention very large?).  He had the kind of voice that caused seismic disturbances.

I do not think I ever heard him raise his voice, and I certainly never heard him drop profanity bombs...but let me tell you, every word he spoke, he spoke with AU-THOR-I-TAY, and he did not have to tell us raw Airmen (this is back before new recruits were referred to as "Trainee") to shut-up and listen...we just knew to do so.

People with that kind of presence are really hard to find.

I wonder if he was related to my company commander in basic. The man was built like a funnel, scary in a very quiet way. Wide shoulders, arms like two badly parked VWs, narrow waist. Always carried a Bible. My one interaction with him was the day he informed me there was absolutely no way in hell he was going to recommend me to a)West Point prep, and b) flight school. Thus ending any reason I had to stay in. The fact that I had a valid medical reason to get out was just a coincidence.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

All this Master Sergeant had to do was glare at you with his dark, burning eyes out from under The Hat and one would melt into a puddle of bubbling subhuman flesh.

There are ways to assert authority without screaming one's lungs out.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

As a general rule, weekly meetings shouldn't be stressful.   

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 06, 2014, 02:54:20 PM

Depends on how much high-octane caffeinated beverages one drinks. 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

Quote from: CyBorg on September 06, 2014, 03:50:24 PM

In some of the sleepy units Ive seen, at most all that would do is just raise the level up to some casual conversation >:D

Airplane girl

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 04, 2014, 09:15:25 PM
QuoteFrom Eclipse:
That has been a tenant for well ...

You probably mean tenet...

Tenant=resident of. Tenet=guide, dictum, belief, etc.

Having said that, great answer.

One of the previous units I was in met in an Armory. Cadet staff was always yelling in formation in the drill floor. Whether there was noise or not. So you can imagine how loud that was! Sometimes National Guardsmen also drilled. One or two times I pointed to them that the Guards never ever yelled or sounded as loud as they were... No effect...

If this is the squadron I think you are talking about, I have never experienced this. But I'm a pretty new cadet, so maybe something happened before I joined. Is this unit in the New York City Group? If it's not then it isn't the squadron I think it is.

Flying Pig

Disregard, applied to the wrong comment

JC004

Quote from: CyBorg on September 06, 2014, 03:50:24 PM

Not energy drinks, I hope...  CAP wants to discourage cadets from having more energy than necessary.   >:D