CAPP 227 questions (IT Officer)

Started by Holding Pattern, August 13, 2014, 06:07:28 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 19, 2015, 09:25:36 PM
7. Attend a wing or region IT Activity, an online IT Workshop,
or an Annual Conference IT Seminar.

Offer to host one at your next Wing Conference...easy way to do it!

How many IT Officers have done item 4?
I've done it.

As an idea, pull CAPWATCH and provide an automated way for your commander to get trends out of the data...Excel Pivot tables rock!

DoubleSecret

Ok, so I have some more questions.

Here are my technician activities for this job...

Activities
During the training period, each Information Technology
Technician candidate must complete at least five of the following:
1. Prepare at least one unit IT update each month, for a period
of six months.
2. Conduct at least two unit IT current event discussions.
3. Conduct a unit IT lesson or activity for using necessary
hardware and software to manage unit affairs.
4. Develop one automated information tool for use by unit
leadership for analysis of measurable performance data.

5. Complete the online OPSEC awareness training.
6. Become familiar with and provide updates as needed to the
squadron, group, wing, and national IT plans.

On item 7, do those have to be CAP IT workshops, and CAP Annual Conference IT Seminars?

I don't suppose there's any chance of The Powers That Be declaring this thread to be an online IT workshop, thus complying with Item 7?

v/r
Lt Col Enabler

Holding Pattern

Quote from: DoubleSecret on February 19, 2015, 10:12:35 PM
Ok, so I have some more questions.

Here are my technician activities for this job...

Activities
During the training period, each Information Technology
Technician candidate must complete at least five of the following:
1. Prepare at least one unit IT update each month, for a period
of six months.
2. Conduct at least two unit IT current event discussions.
3. Conduct a unit IT lesson or activity for using necessary
hardware and software to manage unit affairs.
4. Develop one automated information tool for use by unit
leadership for analysis of measurable performance data.

5. Complete the online OPSEC awareness training.
6. Become familiar with and provide updates as needed to the
squadron, group, wing, and national IT plans.

On item 7, do those have to be CAP IT workshops, and CAP Annual Conference IT Seminars?

I don't suppose there's any chance of The Powers That Be declaring this thread to be an online IT workshop, thus complying with Item 7?

v/r
Lt Col Enabler

Make sure you reply to my automated data collection tool I'm using to generate statistics! :D

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2015, 10:03:04 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 19, 2015, 09:47:33 PM
So... where are these mystical CAP online IT workshops?

You probably only have two options - request that the approver of the rating for you waive the requirement based on it not being
possible to complete the participation in a reasonable time, or push for a seminar at your next Wing or Region conference, etc.
Or, you could do the other activities mentioned, you don't have to do all of them.

Starfleet Auxiliary,
I'm another who developed an automated tool, it was doing some nifty things with CAPWATCH but in a combination of MS Access and Excel.  I'm currently working on another for my current unit, think SIMS but online.  I'm using it as a way to teach myself .NET and T-SQL.  Also, yes I answered your survey.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

a2capt

SIMS online .. yeah, heck of a project, but I had dreams of grandeur .. converting it to a PhP/MySQL solution. Run side by side with eServices.

Nuke52

Quote from: DoubleSecret on February 19, 2015, 10:12:35 PM

v/r
Lt Col Enabler

Ask and you shall receive!

By the powers vested in me by the Commonwealth of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations and in concurrence with Boards of Governors and Trustees of the Middle Tennessee State Vocational College for Women, we, the undersigned, hereby declare this thread to be an official CAP online IT workshop, in compliance with Item 7 above, and with all of the rights, privileges, and responsibilities thereto appertaining.  Signed, this 20th day of February, anno domini 2015.

Please submit your duly completed CAPFs 11 in triplicate and a check or money order for $99.95 to my PayPal account at nuke53@earlscheib.com.

Oh, and:  You're Welcome.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on February 20, 2015, 07:02:20 AM
SIMS online .. yeah, heck of a project, but I had dreams of grandeur .. converting it to a PhP/MySQL solution. Run side by side with eServices.

What would an online sims give that eservices doesn't?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 20, 2015, 05:28:29 PM

Quote from: a2capt on February 20, 2015, 07:02:20 AM

What would an online sims give that eservices doesn't?

Less and less every day, but if it maintained current capabilities. it still tracks a lot of stuff eServices doesn't.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Next question: We have a SUI coming up. I perused this doc: http://capmembers.com/media/cms/SUI_Guide2011_draft_110216_0CA38AF4FE3B5.doc

And found nothing for me to track or otherwise worry about.

That worries me.

Should I just build a benchmark of my own and submit it to the commander for review?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

I looked there, and I see nothing for IT. Am I missing anything?

lordmonar

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 25, 2015, 05:50:08 AM
Next question: We have a SUI coming up. I perused this doc: http://capmembers.com/media/cms/SUI_Guide2011_draft_110216_0CA38AF4FE3B5.doc

And found nothing for me to track or otherwise worry about.

That worries me.

Should I just build a benchmark of my own and submit it to the commander for review?
No.

a) There is enough BS in the SUI as it is.
b) If it is not in the SUI guide it will not weigh on the SUI one way or the other.  You get your rating based on the grading matrix provided.   You may have the worlds greatest IT program, but as far as the SUI is concerned it just does not matter.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 25, 2015, 06:24:00 AM

Not missing anything, as Lord said just no longer part of the SUI.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2015, 11:28:54 AM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 25, 2015, 06:24:00 AM

Not missing anything, as Lord said just no longer part of the SUI.

Never was.

Tim Medeiros

To be honest, if IT were going to be a part of the inspection process, it would likely ask questions about approved internet operations, and asking if homegrown systems require the password rules outlined in CAPR 110-1, and maybe ensuring that SSANs are not stored in said systems.  Quick, simple, and to the point.
1577/2811

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 26, 2015, 10:47:48 PM
To be honest, if IT were going to be a part of the inspection process, it would likely ask questions about approved internet operations, and asking if homegrown systems require the password rules outlined in CAPR 110-1, and maybe ensuring that SSANs are not stored in said systems.  Quick, simple, and to the point.

And that is pretty much what I figured it would be instead of a giant blank space.

On the flip side, I found out our squadron website had a website before it's '90s iteration that is still floating around online in limited fashion... I'm going to reach out to the host later and see if he has any archived files that a squadron historian might be interested in.

Holding Pattern

In other news, today I have discovered AFI 33-129, Web Management and Internet Use.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/edref/afi33-129.pdf

This may be useful to other people that want to put together internal procedures where none exist.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 23, 2015, 06:32:07 AM
In other news, today I have discovered AFI 33-129, Web Management and Internet Use.

This may be useful to other people that want to put together internal procedures where none exist.
Heads up, according to epubs, that AFI has been superseded.  Poking around for its current existence now.

Edit: Found, enjoy, http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/saf_cio_a6/publication/afi33-115/afi33-115.pdf
1577/2811

kwe1009

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on April 23, 2015, 10:24:27 AM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 23, 2015, 06:32:07 AM

Heads up, according to epubs, that AFI has been superseded.  Poking around for its current existence now.

Edit: Found, enjoy, http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/saf_cio_a6/publication/afi33-115/afi33-115.pdf

Good catch.  When looking for Air Force regulations just go to the e-publishing website.  If it is not there then it no longer exists.  It is also where you will see the most current versions of any USAF form or publication.

Holding Pattern

Excellent. Thank you all for the great feedback I've gotten from this thread. I've learned an exceptional amount from you all thanks to this thread.