How to locate membership status?

Started by mynetdude, July 16, 2014, 04:22:35 PM

mynetdude

A bit of discussion ago I mentioned I was at the 000/parent wing and this would render me as a patron/reserve status in my membership; but I have not received a new membership card (which I should have gotten if I were a patron member because the regulation 39-2 specifically states that patron members get a specialty annotated membership card).

So am I really a patron member or not? And how do I find out?

Eclipse

If you go into OPS quals, if you are patron, you won't have any.

Going to 000 doesn't automatically put you in patron, that's a two-step process.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2014, 04:46:00 PM

If you go into OPS quals, if you are patron, you won't have any.

Going to 000 doesn't automatically put you in patron, that's a two-step process.

ah I had the impression that I was automatically patron/reserve, so if I'm not automatically a patron member then I can still attend other squadron meetings and wear the uniform as an active member without an invitation the only downside is I can't get training approvals because I have no commander to approve anything since that's the whole purpose of 000

RogueLeader

There is a difference between Reserve and Patron.  You can be a Patron Member in an active unit, and you can be a Patron member in the Reserve Unit.  Then you can also be an "active" member in a Reserve Unit.

The membership status has no direct bearing on a particular Unit of Assignment.

If you are wanting to be more active, ask to be transferred.  Just be upfront with your Commander about your level of participation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Camas

My guess is that you''ve simply been transferred to 000. It's a bit of a process to be transferred to patron status and then back to active status. Ref: CAPR 39-2 Para 3-6.

mynetdude

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 16, 2014, 04:53:23 PM
There is a difference between Reserve and Patron.  You can be a Patron Member in an active unit, and you can be a Patron member in the Reserve Unit.  Then you can also be an "active" member in a Reserve Unit.

The membership status has no direct bearing on a particular Unit of Assignment.

If you are wanting to be more active, ask to be transferred.  Just be upfront with your Commander about your level of participation.

Yeah just waiting for commander reassignment; it won't happen until August 5th hopefully then they'll do the transfer.

capmaj

And I believe that the Wing CC is the defacto 'commander' of Triple-0.

Eclipse

Quote from: capmaj on July 16, 2014, 05:44:02 PM
And I believe that, unless otherwise slotted, the Wing CC is the defacto commander of Triple-0.

He is not. 000 units have no commander by design.

While a Wing CC would ultimately be responsible for the disposition of a member in his respective 000 unit, he
is not assigned as its Commander.

000 is not considered a "reserve" unit like the old #35s were.  Member in 000 cannot participate in anything
which requires commander's approval, which at least technically = "anything" (the wrinkle comes
when you have members in flying status or with ES quals who could technically show up to a mission.)

The old #35 units were gaggles of members who could not work and play well with others, but were
still considered "active" - they had a full charter with a CC assigned.

Most wings these days immediately, or shortly thereafter, change the status of members in 000 to patron.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on July 16, 2014, 05:08:51 PMYeah just waiting for commander reassignment; it won't happen until August 5th hopefully then they'll do the transfer.

I don't understand - are you moving there voluntarily or because you're not getting along with the current CC.

Are you intending to continue as an active member?

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2014, 07:17:51 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on July 16, 2014, 05:08:51 PMYeah just waiting for commander reassignment; it won't happen until August 5th hopefully then they'll do the transfer.

I don't understand - are you moving there voluntarily or because you're not getting along with the current CC.

Are you intending to continue as an active member?

I was put in 000 intentionally by the outgoing commander before he stepped down; and I plan to return to the squadron with approval of the new interim squadron commander.

Eclipse

OK - sounds like a "fun" time is being had by all.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2014, 08:06:41 PM
OK - sounds like a "fun" time is being had by all.

meaning what? (I'm not taking offense, but its hard to know what you mean in "text" hence why I am asking).

Eclipse

Anytime a member is moved to 000 it's a failure on someone's part, usually CAP's.

This includes high-visibility situations like HWSRN.  Certainly there are people who
are not a good "fit" for CAP, in which case the failure is in letting them join at all,
but in many (most?) cases, lack of supervision, leadership, proper expectations, or related
problems are what allows people to get themselves into situations where they go from
well-intentioned, motivated members to "not", or their good intentions and motivation
are not in line with the commander's vision, which is again usually a CAP fault in
not communicating it properly, or for that matter even having a coherent one.

With that said, there's more then a few members who don't "get it" and need to
find another outlet for their free time.

When someone is pushed into 000 as a "going away present", that's an indication someone isn't playing nice.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2014, 08:21:50 PM
Anytime a member is moved to 000 it's a failure on someone's part, usually CAP's.

This includes high-visibility situations like HWSRN.  Certainly there are people who
are not a good "fit" for CAP, in which case the failure is in letting them join at all,
but in many (most?) cases, lack of supervision, leadership, proper expectations, or related
problems are what allows people to get themselves into situations where they go from
well-intentioned, motivated members to "not".

When someone is pushed into 000 as a "going away present", that's an indication someone
isn't playing nice.

If you're saying I wasn't playing nice, that's understandable I mean after all its very possible I didn't play nice but I tried my best to.

what's HWSRN?  Also Elclipse there's no way to know whether when that person joins CAP if they will play nice a year from now or 3 years from now.  Many people agreed the recent outgoing commander is better suited as a follower not a leader because of how he interacts, communicates and "commands" his squadron.  A lot of people who have military experience who come to CAP seem to want to try to run it as if it were the real military (there's a few who do not of course).

Its obvious you can't push a commander who isn't playing nice into 000; we've had one other member leave the squadron before me who was never sent to 000 so we'll see... like I said if the new commander isn't willing to let me back in the squadron then I'll know that I can just walk away from CAP.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: mynetdude on July 16, 2014, 08:26:50 PM

When someone is pushed into 000 as a "going away present", that's an indication someone
isn't playing nice.

If you're saying I wasn't playing nice, that's understandable I mean after all its very possible I didn't play nice but I tried my best to.

I believe Eclipse was referring to your former squadron commander here. Assignment to a 000 shouldn't be used as disciplinary action and should definitely not done as a "going away present".

mynetdude

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 16, 2014, 08:49:09 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on July 16, 2014, 08:26:50 PM

isn't playing nice.

I believe Eclipse was referring to your former squadron commander here. Assignment to a 000 shouldn't be used as disciplinary action and should definitely not done as a "going away present".

ah that make sense, just couldn't figure out which "side" Eclipse was talking about.

BTW... according to everybody else who have told me; they said because of my resignation (true I did write one) I was moved to 000 but the resignation was until the problem was resolved no one pointed out to me that by doing so I'd be moved to 000 as a matter of fact I know of several commanders who would have left me in the squadron despite whether I'd chose to stay or go.

Storm Chaser

If you resigned from CAP, a CAPF 2B needs to be completed to terminate your membership. If you "resigned" from the squadron (did not request a transfer to another unit), however, then your commander would have to place you in the 000 unit, as a member has to be assigned to a unit. The other alternative was to place you on Patron status and assign you to the National Patron unit.

mynetdude

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 16, 2014, 09:15:54 PM
If you resigned from CAP, a CAPF 2B needs to be completed to terminate your membership. If you "resigned" from the squadron (did not request a transfer to another unit), however, then your commander would have to place you in the 000 unit, as a member has to be assigned to a unit. The other alternative was to place you on Patron status and assign you to the National Patron unit.

why does he "have" to? other people have resigned without a transfer request and remained in the squadron; we also have inactive members who have not "resigned" as a matter of fact we have a member who has been on our roster for some 20 years and never attending a single meeting as an active member.

Granted I know that's what is supposed to be done, the commander should have communicated the process JMO.

Storm Chaser

If you resigned from a staff position and not from the squadron, then your commander could leave you in the unit. But if you resigned from the unit, then you're telling your commander that you either can't remain in the unit or don't wish to continue being a part of that squadron. That's not the same as just not coming to meetings anymore. Furthermore, there's really no resigning a squadron without going to another unit (in this case the 000 inactive unit). You just can't have it both ways.

Finally, context is everything. It doesn't seem that you have a good grasp of CAP membership process and without knowing the context of your resignation, we can't really determine whether your commander's actions were appropriate and warranted.

Eclipse

Storm has it right.

Some of the issue here is terminology, terms used commonly in an interchangeable fashion, but that don't mean the same thing.
With the caveat that all members serve at the pleasure of their respective commander:

There is no requirement that a member hold any staff position within or outside a give unit.  Members can certainly just be "members",
which would generally mean "active with cadet", "being active aircrew, ground, or ICS staff", etc.  Plenty of members do plenty
of hard work without holding any staff position of record.  With that said, if you expect to progress in most PD tracks, you need to
be assigned in order to fulfill the pamphlet requirements.

Relief of duty (without prejudice) from a given staff assignment or command position, holds no mandate that the
member be assigned to 000.  That's actually a ridiculous assertion, and whoever made it is either being disingenuous
or is woefully misinformed.  If you asked to be relieved of duty, there's no reason you can't step down and stay in the unit indefinitely.

If your letter actually "resigned" from CAP, then as mentioned, that requires a personnel action by the CC, but does not
trigger any automatic transfer to 000 or anywhere else.  In fact, doing so could be construed as an attempt to circumvent
the appeals process for a 2B, which always starts at the next highest level from the termination. (Though in the case of a voluntary termination action,
the assumption would be there would be no appeals.)  There's no such thing as a "temporary" resignation.  You're either in or out.

Bottom line, this sounds like a personality clash where the CC is playing games to make you go away.

"That Others May Zoom"