Main Menu

VANGUARD website

Started by Sarge, April 10, 2007, 06:40:53 AM

LtCol White

Quote from: jayleswo on April 17, 2007, 03:36:58 PM
I called a few weeks ago to order a couple of things on the phone after reading here that they would reduce the shipping charges and they knew nothing about that.

Did you tell them you were with the "US" CAP? Perhpas they were confused.

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RogueLeader

Quote from: LtCol White on April 17, 2007, 03:55:13 PM
Quote from: jayleswo on April 17, 2007, 03:36:58 PM
I called a few weeks ago to order a couple of things on the phone after reading here that they would reduce the shipping charges and they knew nothing about that.

Did you tell them you were with the "US" CAP? Perhpas they were confused.

I thought being confused and inept was a requirement for employment. >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2007, 05:18:44 PM
I thought being confused and inept was a requirement for employment. >:D >:D >:D

Okay, okay... let's play nice.

Yeah, they have a lot of issues to work through, but let's not directly insult the people there.  Mmkay?thanks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on April 17, 2007, 05:20:24 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2007, 05:18:44 PM

Okay, okay... let's play nice.

Yeah, they have a lot of issues to work through, but let's not directly insult the people there.  Mmkay?thanks.
Sorry, just got done talking w/ them and got a little fired up.  You're right, and they do try.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LTC_Gadget

OK, what's the diff between CAP0836D and CAP0836G?

Thanks in advance.

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Stonewall

In my personal experience during an exchange of about 4 emails, no, they do not try.  I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Asked if Vanguard could make white/blue military badges since they now make CAP's stuff and already had the designs since they make'em for the military.

Reply:  No, CAP members cannot wear military badges.

My polite response:  Actually, ma'am, here is a quote from CAP's uniform manual, CAPM 39-1, that says which military badges people can wear in CAP as long as they earned them from competent authority.

Reply:  I'll have to check, but I'm sure you're not allowed.

My response:  Ma'am, as one of thousands of military veterans in CAP, I have already done the research for you, as I quoted the regulation in my previous email, CAP members are in fact authorized to wear military badges.  But instead of wearing blue on OD as is allowed, it would allow for more uniformity if we could have the badges that Vanguard already makes produced in white on ultramarine (blue).

Reply: Most likely not, but I'll look into it.

I don't call that "trying".  Never heard back from her.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 17, 2007, 07:17:51 PM
OK, what's the diff between CAP0836D and CAP0836G?

Thanks in advance.

V/R,

CAP0836D, aka: USAF Aux MAJCOM patch:  The "original" MAJCOM patch that identifies us as CAP & the Air Force Auxiliary.  Being phased out already in favor of the new "CAP-only/Corporate-only" patch below.  Will eventually be disallowed on all corporate and USAF-style uniforms.

CAP0836G, aka: U.S. Civil Air Patrol MAJCOM patch: New creation of national headquarters which does not mention the Air Force.  Authorized for CAP corporate and USAF-style uniforms, and being phased in as the only MAJCOM patch authorized.

Rangersigo

I have had equally bad experience.  Wrong items arriving, broken orders and poor communication.  I tend to use the Hock as their response is much better and shipping is MUCH more reasonable!

jimmydeanno

That is weird.  As a 'for profit' company, you'd think that they would do whatever you asked.  If you wanted it on 'bright pink', as long as they had the materials, for the right price, you'd think they'd do it.  They already have the templates...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

I've had something missing or wrong with every order I've had with Vanguard.  That's about 5 to 6 orders, if I recall correctly.   Their customer service people corrected all of the problems, and usually in a semi-timely manner, but it just doesn't look good when you combine their quality control errors with a poor website and steep prices.

For example, my most recent order was of a CAP plaque to honor our outgoing squadron commander.  I could have gone to the local trophy shop and ordered one up for much less, but I wanted something with the CAP seal on it - so I ordered the plaque blank from Vanguard.

I paid for 2-day express shipping, because I wanted to ensure my order was there in time for the banquet.  With only a 2-week window, I didn't want to mess around.  $55+ and two days later my box from Vanguard arrives.

What to my wondering eyes doesn't appear, but a CAP plaque!  They sent me just a blank piece of plaque wood.  No engraving plate, no CAP seal, nothing.  $55+ with shipping for a $5 rack item from any local trophy shop.  WTF!

I go back to the website and re-review the description (since, of course, they have no photo of the item on the website  ::) ).  Yup, description says comes with gold brass plate and CAP seal.  I call Vanguard, they admit error on their part, and they promise to send a replacement.

Replacement doesn't come for 5 or 6 days, since they didn't send it express.  (Recall, I paid for 2-day express shipping at a cost of $20 when I first ordered).  The replacement has all of the elements it should, but why was it such a hassle?   Who, when packing an order, would place a blank plaque mounting board in a box with an invoice for $55 and not have a dim lightbulb go off?

Yes, Vanguard has decent quality on their products.  Yes, Vanguard reps seem to do their best when I talk to them.  But their quality control is horrendous, their website crappy, their shipping prices off the chart, and their item prices a bit steep, too.

But "they're working on it" they tell us.   :P

LtCol White

Quote from: Stonewall on April 17, 2007, 07:28:48 PM
In my personal experience during an exchange of about 4 emails, no, they do not try.  I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Asked if Vanguard could make white/blue military badges since they now make CAP's stuff and already had the designs since they make'em for the military.

Reply:  No, CAP members cannot wear military badges.

My polite response:  Actually, ma'am, here is a quote from CAP's uniform manual, CAPM 39-1, that says which military badges people can wear in CAP as long as they earned them from competent authority.

Reply:  I'll have to check, but I'm sure you're not allowed.

My response:  Ma'am, as one of thousands of military veterans in CAP, I have already done the research for you, as I quoted the regulation in my previous email, CAP members are in fact authorized to wear military badges.  But instead of wearing blue on OD as is allowed, it would allow for more uniformity if we could have the badges that Vanguard already makes produced in white on ultramarine (blue).

Reply: Most likely not, but I'll look into it.

I don't call that "trying".  Never heard back from her.

In case you don't know who you spoke with, you might call back and try asking to speak to a manager who might be more receptive. Better yet, when LAWG had our WG HQ patches made, I dealt with Christine Gratis there on the project. She was very helpful and responsive and did a great job. She deals with all the custom made items and perhaps she can help you. Her e-mail is gratis@vanguard.mil

Try giving her a call on it.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Lancer

My first order to Vanguard was a decent one, except for the price, but it was right. I was told to contact  Beth Maul, cap@vanguardmil.com. She was very nice and knew exactly what I needed to order to complete my order for the corporate uniform. They even shipped the order ahead of the time specified which was a nice surprise.

I understand everyone's frustration, and hope for the best with our future with Vanguard and I believe what I was told about a new website. The Hock is good in a pinch, but the quality on some items isn't that great. And Tom still owes me a couple stickers from MONTHS ago... so it is what it is.

alamrcn

I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Nah, no need...
They have us locked-in with the "Cease" orders sent out to all their competition. I wonder if National HQ would even try to break whatever contract with them for failure to perform.

Hey, wouldn't a copy of that contract be available to membership on request? I'm not sure what the individual member's rights are, or who COULD actually make that request.

I just called the other day and checked on the newish ARCHER patches I ordered through the website in February. The woman on the phone pulled up my order to confirm I indeed ordered them (confirmed), then said she was checking the stock levels of the item (none)... then there was a pause, followed by kind of a disgruntled sigh on her end. I was then told it would be about SIX (6) more weeks.

Whatever perpetual inventory system they have in place, she could probably see:  Qty on-hand, Qty on customer back-order, Last warehouse replenisment date, and Warehouse orders pending. I'm guessing that the "orders pending" didn't have anything there... till I called! SofaB!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

Quote from: alamrcn on April 18, 2007, 07:16:40 PM
I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Nah, no need...
They have us locked-in with the "Cease" orders sent out to all their competition. I wonder if National HQ would even try to break whatever contract with them for failure to perform.

Hey, wouldn't a copy of that contract be available to membership on request? I'm not sure what the individual member's rights are, or who COULD actually make that request.

I just called the other day and checked on the newish ARCHER patches I ordered through the website in February. The woman on the phone pulled up my order to confirm I indeed ordered them (confirmed), then said she was checking the stock levels of the item (none)... then there was a pause, followed by kind of a disgruntled sigh on her end. I was then told it would be about SIX (6) more weeks.

Whatever perpetual inventory system they have in place, she could probably see:  Qty on-hand, Qty on customer back-order, Last warehouse replenisment date, and Warehouse orders pending. I'm guessing that the "orders pending" didn't have anything there... till I called! SofaB!

-Ace

Since we are not a public entity, the contracts are considered confidential to the general employees/members.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

jimmydeanno

I agree with many of the posts here, but I had a discussion with one of the nice ladies that works there one time while I was waiting for my 'embroidered on demand' shirt.

I asked why they were out of stock on a lot of items, and why the slow turn around to get them back in stock.

Her reply was (not an exact quote, but pretty close)...

"When we took ownership of the CAPMART inventory, we had stock of almost everything.  While analyzing what we had, it came to our attention that we weren't provided with color codes, medal forms, etc.  So as we ran out, we needed to 'recreate' the item from scratch.  Some we got before we ran out, some we are still working on."

So apparantly they had to research colors and manufacturers for the ribbons, create blanks to make the mini medals, get color codes for epaulet sleeves, etc.  Which adds to their difficulty in getting orders out.

But that was a year ago, so...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LtCol White

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 18, 2007, 07:43:50 PM
I agree with many of the posts here, but I had a discussion with one of the nice ladies that works there one time while I was waiting for my 'embroidered on demand' shirt.

I asked why they were out of stock on a lot of items, and why the slow turn around to get them back in stock.

"When we took ownership of the CAPMART inventory, we had stock of almost everything.  While analyzing what we had, it came to our attention that we weren't provided with color codes, medal forms, etc.  So as we ran out, we needed to 'recreate' the item from scratch.  Some we got before we ran out, some we are still working on."

So apparantly they had to research colors and manufacturers for the ribbons, create blanks to make the mini medals, get color codes for epaulet sleeves, etc.  Which adds to their difficulty in getting orders out.

You should have told her "be sure you dont make the epaulets in grey. Those are the old ones. The new ones are supposed to be blue"

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Ford73Diesel

I'm still waiting on mini C/Capt insignia I ordered a few months ago. >:(

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 18, 2007, 07:43:50 PM

That is ridiculous!  They've been at this insignia-producing thing for how long, and they didn't even consider that?  Come on...  I think I will start an underground CAP supply source.  Hmmmm...

bosshawk

An item to ponder: I was told by someone at National to only deal with Beth Maul.  In my limited experience with Vanguard, that seems to work best.

Unfortunate that this has to be done, because for years I bought insignia from Vanguard.  Of course, most of those were in the PX on an Army Post and they were always top quality.

I am like a lot of you folks: I can't figure out what is wrong with the current Vanguard.  Has anyone complained to National?  That is possible one way to get the message across.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

acarlson

I agree... they have no idea "how" to try... 
and I disagree... the cust. service reps don't try at all... they could never find the orders!
and I disagree...  I am not a repeat customer... I'm tired of banging my head against a wall...  I buy from The Hock Shop, or the local A/N surplus store... or for those AF only items, I make the drive to McGuire AFB in NJ.  I will never attempt to buy from Vandguard. 
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA