Main Menu

VANGUARD website

Started by Sarge, April 10, 2007, 06:40:53 AM

Sarge

OK, I have a question. Is there a third grade class running the Vanguard website? I have been told time and time again "just give them some time and they will upgrade their website" and "they are just getting used to handling CAP gear"...still their website stinks! One of the absolute WORST ever e-commerce sites in history. Confusing, poorly organized, contorted images and no pictures of alot of stuff,(how long does it take?) just plain bad! It is an embarrassment to show it to new members looking for uniform sites. And why cant they offer "packages" like the HOCK does? Oh yeah, that would be too easy...Granted, the HOCK site is not exactly slick or "cutting edge", but at least it is manageable. I would send this to the CAP liaison at Vanguard, but do not have her e-mail address. Message: I would buy more from Vanguard, but I cant even see what I am ordering in some cases. Get a clue and get with the program. These people need website help in a big way. Is anyone at NHQ equally appalled by this mess? Some web-savvy CAPer ought to consult with them...Your thoughts???

Al Sayre

You're preaching to the chior here...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

I spoke with them about the web site mess, and they said they're going to be making it not suck.  ::holds breath::

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 10, 2007, 01:06:03 PM
I spoke with them about the web site mess, and they said they're going to be making it not suck.  ::holds breath::

After holding his breath......he dies.  Thanks Vanguard!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

If you look at their military sites, there are even items there with no photos. Strange since they have been producing them for YEARS
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sarge on April 10, 2007, 06:40:53 AM
OK, I have a question. Is there a third grade class running the Vanguard website? I have been told time and time again "just give them some time and they will upgrade their website" and "they are just getting used to handling CAP gear"...still their website stinks! One of the absolute WORST ever e-commerce sites in history. Confusing, poorly organized, contorted images and no pictures of alot of stuff,(how long does it take?) just plain bad! It is an embarrassment to show it to new members looking for uniform sites. And why cant they offer "packages" like the HOCK does? Oh yeah, that would be too easy...Granted, the HOCK site is not exactly slick or "cutting edge", but at least it is manageable. I would send this to the CAP liaison at Vanguard, but do not have her e-mail address. Message: I would buy more from Vanguard, but I cant even see what I am ordering in some cases. Get a clue and get with the program. These people need website help in a big way. Is anyone at NHQ equally appalled by this mess? Some web-savvy CAPer ought to consult with them...Your thoughts???
Look at the following:
Quote from: RiverAux on April 10, 2007, 01:13:54 AM
In his "From Your National Commander" column in the March/April Volunteer MG Pineda said this:
QuoteAs your national commander, I encourage all CAP volunteers and our loyal supporters to communicate your suggestions and concerns.  Individuals with agenda items that have not been brought before the National Board or those wishing to share shining examples of outstanding performance and efficiency are encouarged to email the deputy chiefs of staff or CAP National Vice Commander Brig. Gen. Amy Courter.  Their contact information is available at www.cap.gov

FYI, the deputy chiefs of staff are:
Training: Col. David L. Mikelson
Support: Col. Eileen Parker
Operations: Col. Andrew Skiba
Strategic Missions:  Brig. Gen. Richard Anderson

So, a major problem in CAP appears to have been solved in that there is now a sanctioned way for any CAP member to directly contact high level CAP officer with their ideas and suggestions.  Granted, just because you can send them an email, doesn't mean they will act on it.  But, it has a better chance of at least being read than an email started off by 2LT Snuffy Smith in the Podunk Cadet Squadron does of getting up there. 

However, we should be careful in how we use this because if they get deluged with a bunch of really bad comments they will decide that they will need to have them "filtered" a bit by lower ranking CAP staff. 

So, put your thinking and writing caps on!

I think that one of the above could help you out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

None of my experiences with Vangaurd have been simple/pleasent/impressive.

From a company that has made insignia for the military since, at least I've been in, you'd think they'd have their "stuff" in one sock.  I've ordered stuff through them for both military and CAP stuff and all 3 times its been one helluva task.

And yes, their site sucks! 

I miss the bookstore catalog.  I miss having a catalog I could throw in my bag and look at in class, at work, on the jon, or wherever and be able to get an idea of pricing without having to navigate through some 3rd grade run website where half of the items don't seem to have images.  Grrr..
Serving since 1987.

LtCol White

Things sure worked well with the old bookstore!! It was fast and easy.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Lancer

Well, as we were told at our wing conference by the Vanguard representative there, the new website should be live by the end of May and it will make all of us happy. Of course, until that time comes, we're all ::holding our breath::

I was told this as well when I talked to Beth Maul prior to the conference when I was ordering my corporate service uniform. That was my first time ordering from Vanguard and I was pleased with the results, not pleased with the pricetag, but at least I got what I ordered and it came rather quickly considering the circumstances.

The interesting part was the display near their cash register with new 'prototypes' of kitschy items they can splash our logo on and sell to us, pretty much everyone who got near them, they asked their opinion of the items, especially the cadets.

TankerT

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 06:01:45 PM

???

Um.  You talking about Barnes and Noble?  Borders?

I'm sure you're not talking about the CAP Bookstore.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

LtCol White

Quote from: TankerT on April 10, 2007, 06:04:47 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 06:01:45 PM

???

Um.  You talking about Barnes and Noble?  Borders?

I'm sure you're not talking about the CAP Bookstore.

Yep, I never had a single problem over the years with them. always had my orders within a week of ordering with no mistakes
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Stonewall

Every penny I made as a cadet went to the bookstore (or Brigade Quartermaster).  I'd order at least once a month from the Bookstore and only had one problem.

WIWAC I ordered the CAP Business cards; 250 for $12.00 or something and they wouldn't put "383RD Search and Rescue Squadron" on them because it wasn't a "real unit".  Pssshhh, what do they know.  It was real in my mind.
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

HEY, did you see this?!!  I can't believe we're finally going to get to wear them...

You better get to Vanguard's CAP website now so you can be added to the Back/Order list, and if they come you'll get one!  :P

...and can they get that stupid animation off the front page?!  >:(

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

Quote from: alamrcn on April 10, 2007, 07:18:25 PM
HEY, did you see this?!!  I can't believe we're finally going to get to wear them...

You better get to Vanguard's CAP website now so you can be added to the Back/Order list, and if they come you'll get one!  :P

- Ace

Isn't that what we are now wearing on our uniforms for any item they dont have shown?  >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RogueLeader

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 07:24:27 PM

- Ace

Isn't that what we are now wearing on our uniforms for any item they dont have shown?  >:D

I've even got that on my name tapes ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alamrcn

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 07:24:27 PM

That particular item is what the National Capitol Wing shoulder patch looks like - the same one they have used since January 26, 1953. But it still might be too new to get a picture of it. Ya think the folks in DC are happy with the Vangard website?

Here's the link to their infamous NO PHOTO image...
http://www.civilairpatrolstore.com/store/images/nophoto.jpg
Let's see who can come up with the most creative way to use it!  ;D
That is, more so than the website does.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Lancer

Hey, that's the new OPSEC/INFOSEC Speciality Badge! Sweet!  ;D

No kidding, at least put up a Java based Tank game! Hehehe.

RogueLeader

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 10, 2007, 07:35:13 PM

Hey!  at least the tank game was fun to play, instead of Vangaurd's site.  what is Vanguard the vanguard of anyway?  Lousy service with a lousy website?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

And while they're working on taking photos of items that haven't had one in the last year, maybe someone could teach them how to make a thumbnail image properly??   ::)

The proper way does not involve taking a 1:1.5 or 1:2 ratio rectangular image and smashing that into a 1:1 square thumbnail.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: Pylon on April 10, 2007, 07:55:52 PM
And while they're working on taking photos of items that haven't had one in the last year, maybe someone could teach them how to make a thumbnail image properly??   ::)

The proper way does not involve taking a 1:1.5 or 1:2 ratio rectangular image and smashing that into a 1:1 square thumbnail.   :P

You mean like the new Photo ID's??  ;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RogueLeader

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 07:58:58 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 10, 2007, 07:55:52 PM

You mean like the new Photo ID's??  ;D
Or the 101 cards?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 10, 2007, 07:38:12 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 10, 2007, 07:35:13 PM

Hey!  at least the tank game was fun to play, instead of Vangaurd's site.  what is Vanguard the vanguard of anyway?  Lousy service with a lousy website?

I ordered one of those... it didn't fit.

brasda91

Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2007, 05:48:03 PM
I miss the bookstore catalog.  I miss having a catalog I could throw in my bag and look at in class, at work, on the jon, or wherever and be able to get an idea of pricing

Aaaamen!  Those were the days.  I was just thinking the same thing yesterday.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

Quote from: brasda91 on April 12, 2007, 04:12:16 PM
I miss the bookstore catalog.  I miss having a catalog I could throw in my bag and look at in class, at work, on the jon, or wherever and be able to get an idea of pricing

I'm sure we could get a catalog from Vanguard.  HOWEVER, it would cost $5, plus $7 shipping.  Aaaaand it would take 3 months to arrive.

stillamarine

Quote from: JC004 on April 12, 2007, 04:29:30 PM

I'm sure we could get a catalog from Vanguard.  HOWEVER, it would cost $5, plus $7 shipping.  Aaaaand it would take 3 months to arrive.

With no pictures of course!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RogueLeader

After four calls to check on it's status, being told that it was back-ordered, then to be told that it was never back-ordered and it was a computer glitch.  Finally, you decide to cancele, and want your money back- they send it
<true story on getting an AF Blue shirt>
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Phillip

Here's the cover of that catalog:
Captain

RogueLeader

Quote from: Phillip on April 12, 2007, 04:36:14 PM

And every other page- except where to send the money to.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 12, 2007, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: Phillip on April 12, 2007, 04:36:14 PM

And every other page- except where to send the money to.

lol    :D  >:D  So true.

dwb

I recently had the need to purchase some new rank insignia, so I decided to order from Vanguard.  I also had to get some nametapes/plates for other members of my squadron, which helped me to justify the shipping cost.

Something I've noticed is that the search box is your friend.  Couldn't find the grey epaulets, or the blazer nameplate, without it.  Once I stopped trying to browse the categories, and just searched for every item I needed, life was good.

Interestingly, the picture for the Major epaulets is actually the velcro Major epaulets, though none of the other velcro epaulets (including Major) have pictures next to them.  Also, the other regular epaulets all have the correct pictures.

In short, their site still needs a lot of work.  Not sure how much revenue they get from us, and whether it's worth their while to take pictures of the 200 items that are missing pictures.  Time will tell, I suppose.

JC004

Quote from: justin_bailey on April 12, 2007, 07:35:42 PM
Something I've noticed is that the search box is your friend.  Couldn't find the grey epaulets, or the blazer nameplate, without it.  Once I stopped trying to browse the categories, and just searched for every item I needed, life was good.

Yea...epaulets (grey) are under Mess Dress.   >:(

jimmydeanno

They'll still send you a CAPMART catalog, they still have thousands...all the item numbers are the same, I used to live down the street from Vanguard when they started supplying us.  I'd just walk in and they'd pick the stuff off the shelves for me, if I needed embroidery, they'd do it same day for me.  Never any issues, except they only stock the incorrect size of the NH Wing patch... But now that I moved, I use the hock.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 12, 2007, 08:18:15 PM
They'll still send you a CAPMART catalog, they still have thousands...all the item numbers are the same, I used to live down the street from Vanguard when they started supplying us.  I'd just walk in and they'd pick the stuff off the shelves for me, if I needed embroidery, they'd do it same day for me.  Never any issues, except they only stock the incorrect size of the NH Wing patch... But now that I moved, I use the hock.

There's something to be said for going to them and making them do it then and there.   :)

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 12, 2007, 08:25:39 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 12, 2007, 08:18:15 PM

There's something to be said for going to them and making them do it then and there.   :)
Too bad you don't still live there, and we could go through you, for say an extra 5% plus acttuall shiping and handeling, not the $7 for a ribbon deal.  Oh well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LTC_Gadget

Hey,
I wonder if this'll work.

Someone in some thread here had the name of a POC @ Vanguard, with an email address.

There's more of us than there are of them, obviously.  And we have a more pressing and genuine desire to see the 'no picture' situation rectified than do they.

How 'bout we figure out the optimal image size for pictures of items on the Vanguard site.  Then, if you have an item for which there is no pic on the website, you take a digital picture of it, (grey background?) adjust it to the "standard" size that they're using for their images, and email the picture to the Vanguard POC.  Tell 'em, to use it with your compliments.

Ok, that was the brainstorm.  Now tell me why it won't work..

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

JC004

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 13, 2007, 06:18:56 PM
Hey,
I wonder if this'll work.

Someone in some thread here had the name of a POC @ Vanguard, with an email address.

There's more of us than there are of them, obviously.  And we have a more pressing and genuine desire to see the 'no picture' situation rectified than do they.

How 'bout we figure out the optimal image size for pictures of items on the Vanguard site.  Then, if you have an item for which there is no pic on the website, you take a digital picture of it, (grey background?) adjust it to the "standard" size that they're using for their images, and email the picture to the Vanguard POC.  Tell 'em, to use it with your compliments.

Ok, that was the brainstorm.  Now tell me why it won't work..

V/R,

They told me they're working on their site...not sure if that will include new pictures, or simply replace ALL pictures with the infamous placeholder.  BUT, if they can't seem to take pictures with a digital camera, I don't see why we couldn't do it just so our members can see the items. 

Request for whoever from Black Van HQ is watching...Vanguard should have a section on the site for new items as they come out.

Sgt. Savage

You know, they wouldn't have so many pictures to do if they would stop listing every single size of every single item seperately. Haven't they ever hear of drop down menus?

JC004

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 13, 2007, 06:28:21 PM
You know, they wouldn't have so many pictures to do if they would stop listing every single size of every single item seperately. Haven't they ever hear of drop down menus?

From what I gather looking at the rest of the site, they haven't heard of much.   >:D

Al Sayre

We had a presentation from Susan Easter at the MS Wing Conference, part of that covered Vanguard.  The crux:

They are aware of the problems and are doing what they can to fix them.

If you are only ordering a couple of items like ribbons, call them on the phone to order and they will reduce the shipping charges.

The money that NHQ is getting from Vanguard is going into a fund to pay for regional training bases. (These new training bases are also part of the objective of the Wing Banker Program)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

jayleswo

I called a few weeks ago to order a couple of things on the phone after reading here that they would reduce the shipping charges and they knew nothing about that.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

LtCol White

Quote from: jayleswo on April 17, 2007, 03:36:58 PM
I called a few weeks ago to order a couple of things on the phone after reading here that they would reduce the shipping charges and they knew nothing about that.

Did you tell them you were with the "US" CAP? Perhpas they were confused.

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RogueLeader

Quote from: LtCol White on April 17, 2007, 03:55:13 PM
Quote from: jayleswo on April 17, 2007, 03:36:58 PM

Did you tell them you were with the "US" CAP? Perhpas they were confused.

I thought being confused and inept was a requirement for employment. >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2007, 05:18:44 PM
I thought being confused and inept was a requirement for employment. >:D >:D >:D

Okay, okay... let's play nice.

Yeah, they have a lot of issues to work through, but let's not directly insult the people there.  Mmkay?thanks.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on April 17, 2007, 05:20:24 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2007, 05:18:44 PM

Okay, okay... let's play nice.

Yeah, they have a lot of issues to work through, but let's not directly insult the people there.  Mmkay?thanks.
Sorry, just got done talking w/ them and got a little fired up.  You're right, and they do try.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LTC_Gadget

OK, what's the diff between CAP0836D and CAP0836G?

Thanks in advance.

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Stonewall

In my personal experience during an exchange of about 4 emails, no, they do not try.  I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Asked if Vanguard could make white/blue military badges since they now make CAP's stuff and already had the designs since they make'em for the military.

Reply:  No, CAP members cannot wear military badges.

My polite response:  Actually, ma'am, here is a quote from CAP's uniform manual, CAPM 39-1, that says which military badges people can wear in CAP as long as they earned them from competent authority.

Reply:  I'll have to check, but I'm sure you're not allowed.

My response:  Ma'am, as one of thousands of military veterans in CAP, I have already done the research for you, as I quoted the regulation in my previous email, CAP members are in fact authorized to wear military badges.  But instead of wearing blue on OD as is allowed, it would allow for more uniformity if we could have the badges that Vanguard already makes produced in white on ultramarine (blue).

Reply: Most likely not, but I'll look into it.

I don't call that "trying".  Never heard back from her.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 17, 2007, 07:17:51 PM
OK, what's the diff between CAP0836D and CAP0836G?

Thanks in advance.

V/R,

CAP0836D, aka: USAF Aux MAJCOM patch:  The "original" MAJCOM patch that identifies us as CAP & the Air Force Auxiliary.  Being phased out already in favor of the new "CAP-only/Corporate-only" patch below.  Will eventually be disallowed on all corporate and USAF-style uniforms.

CAP0836G, aka: U.S. Civil Air Patrol MAJCOM patch: New creation of national headquarters which does not mention the Air Force.  Authorized for CAP corporate and USAF-style uniforms, and being phased in as the only MAJCOM patch authorized.

Rangersigo

I have had equally bad experience.  Wrong items arriving, broken orders and poor communication.  I tend to use the Hock as their response is much better and shipping is MUCH more reasonable!

jimmydeanno

That is weird.  As a 'for profit' company, you'd think that they would do whatever you asked.  If you wanted it on 'bright pink', as long as they had the materials, for the right price, you'd think they'd do it.  They already have the templates...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

I've had something missing or wrong with every order I've had with Vanguard.  That's about 5 to 6 orders, if I recall correctly.   Their customer service people corrected all of the problems, and usually in a semi-timely manner, but it just doesn't look good when you combine their quality control errors with a poor website and steep prices.

For example, my most recent order was of a CAP plaque to honor our outgoing squadron commander.  I could have gone to the local trophy shop and ordered one up for much less, but I wanted something with the CAP seal on it - so I ordered the plaque blank from Vanguard.

I paid for 2-day express shipping, because I wanted to ensure my order was there in time for the banquet.  With only a 2-week window, I didn't want to mess around.  $55+ and two days later my box from Vanguard arrives.

What to my wondering eyes doesn't appear, but a CAP plaque!  They sent me just a blank piece of plaque wood.  No engraving plate, no CAP seal, nothing.  $55+ with shipping for a $5 rack item from any local trophy shop.  WTF!

I go back to the website and re-review the description (since, of course, they have no photo of the item on the website  ::) ).  Yup, description says comes with gold brass plate and CAP seal.  I call Vanguard, they admit error on their part, and they promise to send a replacement.

Replacement doesn't come for 5 or 6 days, since they didn't send it express.  (Recall, I paid for 2-day express shipping at a cost of $20 when I first ordered).  The replacement has all of the elements it should, but why was it such a hassle?   Who, when packing an order, would place a blank plaque mounting board in a box with an invoice for $55 and not have a dim lightbulb go off?

Yes, Vanguard has decent quality on their products.  Yes, Vanguard reps seem to do their best when I talk to them.  But their quality control is horrendous, their website crappy, their shipping prices off the chart, and their item prices a bit steep, too.

But "they're working on it" they tell us.   :P

LtCol White

Quote from: Stonewall on April 17, 2007, 07:28:48 PM
In my personal experience during an exchange of about 4 emails, no, they do not try.  I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Asked if Vanguard could make white/blue military badges since they now make CAP's stuff and already had the designs since they make'em for the military.

Reply:  No, CAP members cannot wear military badges.

My polite response:  Actually, ma'am, here is a quote from CAP's uniform manual, CAPM 39-1, that says which military badges people can wear in CAP as long as they earned them from competent authority.

Reply:  I'll have to check, but I'm sure you're not allowed.

My response:  Ma'am, as one of thousands of military veterans in CAP, I have already done the research for you, as I quoted the regulation in my previous email, CAP members are in fact authorized to wear military badges.  But instead of wearing blue on OD as is allowed, it would allow for more uniformity if we could have the badges that Vanguard already makes produced in white on ultramarine (blue).

Reply: Most likely not, but I'll look into it.

I don't call that "trying".  Never heard back from her.

In case you don't know who you spoke with, you might call back and try asking to speak to a manager who might be more receptive. Better yet, when LAWG had our WG HQ patches made, I dealt with Christine Gratis there on the project. She was very helpful and responsive and did a great job. She deals with all the custom made items and perhaps she can help you. Her e-mail is gratis@vanguard.mil

Try giving her a call on it.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Lancer

My first order to Vanguard was a decent one, except for the price, but it was right. I was told to contact  Beth Maul, cap@vanguardmil.com. She was very nice and knew exactly what I needed to order to complete my order for the corporate uniform. They even shipped the order ahead of the time specified which was a nice surprise.

I understand everyone's frustration, and hope for the best with our future with Vanguard and I believe what I was told about a new website. The Hock is good in a pinch, but the quality on some items isn't that great. And Tom still owes me a couple stickers from MONTHS ago... so it is what it is.

alamrcn

I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Nah, no need...
They have us locked-in with the "Cease" orders sent out to all their competition. I wonder if National HQ would even try to break whatever contract with them for failure to perform.

Hey, wouldn't a copy of that contract be available to membership on request? I'm not sure what the individual member's rights are, or who COULD actually make that request.

I just called the other day and checked on the newish ARCHER patches I ordered through the website in February. The woman on the phone pulled up my order to confirm I indeed ordered them (confirmed), then said she was checking the stock levels of the item (none)... then there was a pause, followed by kind of a disgruntled sigh on her end. I was then told it would be about SIX (6) more weeks.

Whatever perpetual inventory system they have in place, she could probably see:  Qty on-hand, Qty on customer back-order, Last warehouse replenisment date, and Warehouse orders pending. I'm guessing that the "orders pending" didn't have anything there... till I called! SofaB!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

Quote from: alamrcn on April 18, 2007, 07:16:40 PM
I'm sure someone does, as its their job as customer service representatives to treat us well enough to make us repeat customers.

Nah, no need...
They have us locked-in with the "Cease" orders sent out to all their competition. I wonder if National HQ would even try to break whatever contract with them for failure to perform.

Hey, wouldn't a copy of that contract be available to membership on request? I'm not sure what the individual member's rights are, or who COULD actually make that request.

I just called the other day and checked on the newish ARCHER patches I ordered through the website in February. The woman on the phone pulled up my order to confirm I indeed ordered them (confirmed), then said she was checking the stock levels of the item (none)... then there was a pause, followed by kind of a disgruntled sigh on her end. I was then told it would be about SIX (6) more weeks.

Whatever perpetual inventory system they have in place, she could probably see:  Qty on-hand, Qty on customer back-order, Last warehouse replenisment date, and Warehouse orders pending. I'm guessing that the "orders pending" didn't have anything there... till I called! SofaB!

-Ace

Since we are not a public entity, the contracts are considered confidential to the general employees/members.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

jimmydeanno

I agree with many of the posts here, but I had a discussion with one of the nice ladies that works there one time while I was waiting for my 'embroidered on demand' shirt.

I asked why they were out of stock on a lot of items, and why the slow turn around to get them back in stock.

Her reply was (not an exact quote, but pretty close)...

"When we took ownership of the CAPMART inventory, we had stock of almost everything.  While analyzing what we had, it came to our attention that we weren't provided with color codes, medal forms, etc.  So as we ran out, we needed to 'recreate' the item from scratch.  Some we got before we ran out, some we are still working on."

So apparantly they had to research colors and manufacturers for the ribbons, create blanks to make the mini medals, get color codes for epaulet sleeves, etc.  Which adds to their difficulty in getting orders out.

But that was a year ago, so...

LtCol White

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 18, 2007, 07:43:50 PM
I agree with many of the posts here, but I had a discussion with one of the nice ladies that works there one time while I was waiting for my 'embroidered on demand' shirt.

I asked why they were out of stock on a lot of items, and why the slow turn around to get them back in stock.

"When we took ownership of the CAPMART inventory, we had stock of almost everything.  While analyzing what we had, it came to our attention that we weren't provided with color codes, medal forms, etc.  So as we ran out, we needed to 'recreate' the item from scratch.  Some we got before we ran out, some we are still working on."

So apparantly they had to research colors and manufacturers for the ribbons, create blanks to make the mini medals, get color codes for epaulet sleeves, etc.  Which adds to their difficulty in getting orders out.

You should have told her "be sure you dont make the epaulets in grey. Those are the old ones. The new ones are supposed to be blue"

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Ford73Diesel

I'm still waiting on mini C/Capt insignia I ordered a few months ago. >:(

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 18, 2007, 07:43:50 PM

That is ridiculous!  They've been at this insignia-producing thing for how long, and they didn't even consider that?  Come on...  I think I will start an underground CAP supply source.  Hmmmm...

bosshawk

An item to ponder: I was told by someone at National to only deal with Beth Maul.  In my limited experience with Vanguard, that seems to work best.

Unfortunate that this has to be done, because for years I bought insignia from Vanguard.  Of course, most of those were in the PX on an Army Post and they were always top quality.

I am like a lot of you folks: I can't figure out what is wrong with the current Vanguard.  Has anyone complained to National?  That is possible one way to get the message across.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

acarlson

I agree... they have no idea "how" to try... 
and I disagree... the cust. service reps don't try at all... they could never find the orders!
and I disagree...  I am not a repeat customer... I'm tired of banging my head against a wall...  I buy from The Hock Shop, or the local A/N surplus store... or for those AF only items, I make the drive to McGuire AFB in NJ.  I will never attempt to buy from Vandguard. 
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

Lancer

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 17, 2007, 09:27:02 PM
I was told to contact  Beth Maul, cap@vanguardmil.com.

Quote from: bosshawk on April 18, 2007, 11:52:49 PM
I was told by someone at National to only deal with Beth Maul.

Wow...does anyone hear an echo in here?  ;D ;D ;D

SDF_Specialist

My worst expirience with Vanguard has been every expirience. I placed an order on 1-February for a Corporate Service Jacket, and brushed name plate. I requested overnight shipping, hoping this would speed the process up. I got every thing on the 26 of February. I called to find out why it took so long to process my order, only to find out that the size service coat I wanted was on back order. Why couldn't I be informed of this? That would make too much sense.
SDF_Specialist

Lancer

Quote from: 1Lt on April 19, 2007, 03:47:36 PM
My worst expirience with Vanguard has been every expirience. I placed an order on 1-February for a Corporate Service Jacket, and brushed name plate. I requested overnight shipping, hoping this would speed the process up. I got every thing on the 26 of February. I called to find out why it took so long to process my order, only to find out that the size service coat I wanted was on back order. Why couldn't I be informed of this? That would make too much sense.

Did you phone in your order? That is the benefit of talking to someone there, especially an operator such as Beth Maul who knows better than anyone our program needs. She was able to tell me for everything I needed, if it was in stock. Also, I don't believe you can get overnight shipping on the brushed nameplate since there is some lead time needed for putting your name on it. I know this added to the delay of me getting my order as well, but it ended up coming sooner than I was told as well.

Moral of the story. Call.

ColonelJack

I haven't really had any bad dealings with Vanguard.  I just had one real complaint -- almost a year ago I ordered (for display purposes only) a set of brigadier general and major general epaulets.  The Brig Gen came immediately; the Maj Gen was on back order, but my credit card was charged.  I still haven't seen the two-star slides.

That, and my corporate service coat didn't come with sleeve braid (like the description when I ordered said it would).

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

mikeylikey

Nothing against you and no direspect, but I think you are the first one to put "USCAP" in your sig!  OUTSTANDING!

What's up monkeys?

SDF_Specialist

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 19, 2007, 04:04:07 PM

Did you phone in your order? That is the benefit of talking to someone there, especially an operator such as Beth Maul who knows better than anyone our program needs. She was able to tell me for everything I needed, if it was in stock. Also, I don't believe you can get overnight shipping on the brushed nameplate since there is some lead time needed for putting your name on it. I know this added to the delay of me getting my order as well, but it ended up coming sooner than I was told as well.

Moral of the story. Call.

Yeah, I know that the order will take some time. I was just trying to speed the process up since most other companies I've dealt with seem to speed things up when overnight shipping is requested. That incident is not the first for me, but the one that made me decide to stop using Vanguard, and give THE HOCK a chance.
SDF_Specialist

SDF_Specialist

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2007, 04:23:10 PM

Nothing against you and no direspect, but I think you are the first one to put "USCAP" in your sig!  OUTSTANDING!

Wonder if they'll start producing U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes?
SDF_Specialist

MIKE

They already are... Well Vanguard is.
Mike Johnston

JC004

acarlson

Quote from: JC004 on April 19, 2007, 09:15:51 PM
Quote from: MIKE on April 19, 2007, 08:43:27 PM

The slanted writing is free...

U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes

WOW with a picture of the cloth tape!   <sigh, I'm still not getting my hopes up...>
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

JC004

Quote from: acarlson on April 19, 2007, 10:10:13 PM
Quote from: MIKE on April 19, 2007, 08:43:27 PM

WOW with a picture of the cloth tape!   <sigh, I'm still not getting my hopes up...>

They added the picture accidentally.  What folks DON'T know is that the real pictures actually exist on Vanguard's servers, but they put up No-Image buttons to annoy us.

mikeylikey

HEY!  I am sick of hearing the suggestion of phoning orders in!  Why are they on line with an on-line store if we are not able to successfully order on line!  They have had MORE THAN ENOUGH time to get with the program.  They are only sowcasing their inability to run a successful business.  If they did not have the Govt contracts, they would no more than a "mom and pop" on-line retailer.
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2007, 11:30:04 PM
HEY!  I am sick of hearing the suggestion of phoning orders in!  Why are they on line with an on-line store if we are not able to successfully order on line!  They have had MORE THAN ENOUGH time to get with the program.  They are only sowcasing their inability to run a successful business.  If they did not have the Govt contracts, they would no more than a "mom and pop" on-line retailer.

Agreed.  And now to have loads of orders for stuff that says "BACKORDERED."  "Yes, I need 50 nametapes - the name is B-A-C-K-O-R-D-E-R-E-D"

Lancer

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2007, 11:30:04 PM

HEY! I'm sick of offering the suggestion. HEY! I'm sick of having to call myself! HEY! I totally agree they have to get their proverbial 'stuff' together. But I'm also getting tired of the same people bemoaning Vanguard like a broken record. We get it, they need help, they're working on it.

If they were only as good as Amazon or Newegg...we wouldn't have to even have this conversation.

afgeo4

Yes... we need help and we don't have it all together either and we're working on it too, so lay off Vanguard!  Oh... wait a minute... they're a business. They get paid to ship us the right items for the right prices in reasonable time. We do not. Perhaps they assume that "hey, they're just a bunch of wannabes"?  Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe they just don't care. After all, what business would allow ONE person to be properly trained to serve over 50,000 clients? Scratch that... what successful business? Vanguard is a disgrace. It's a disgrace to itself, its employees, the men and women they claim to support (the military and CAP) and most of all, they're a disgrace to this country. Over 50,000 volunteers in this country give their money, time, even lives and they have ONE competent person to support us? It's absolutely appalling! Tell these stories to someone in the real military or someone in the Red Cross or Salvation Army or any other nationwide volunteer organization and they'll think it's appalling too. I can only imagine what the members of the US Congress would say if they knew.
GEORGE LURYE

alamrcn

LMAO - Actually the writing is straight in the picture, it's the blue webbing that's slanted. Centering the uppercase block letters between the top/bottom edges also seems to have been a technical challenge in the past on the custom name tapes.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JC004

Quote from: alamrcn on April 20, 2007, 02:46:54 PM

LMAO - Actually the writing is straight in the picture, it's the blue webbing that's slanted. Centering the uppercase block letters between the top/bottom edges also seems to have been a technical challenge in the past on the custom name tapes.

'best nametapes I ever got were from Dover AFB.  They carried the CAP tapes, and I ordered nametapes there.  They were straight, and the embroidery was nice and thick - didn't look like it was done with a white crayon.  Wish I had ordered more...

RogueLeader

If you are tire of dealing with Vanguard and are tired of dealing with them, sign my petition to NHQ to get then to change.  The link is:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1950.0
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 21, 2007, 03:51:25 AM
If you are tire of dealing with Vanguard and are tired of dealing with them, sign my petition to NHQ to get then to change.  The link is:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1950.0

Other things I expect to come out of Vanguard...when I forward one of their customer 'service' e-mails to 14 people within 5 minutes, the name of my true love will appear on the screen, I will be granted a wish, and Bill Gates/AOL will cut me a check for every person who receives it.   :o

Hawk200

Quote from: JC004 on April 21, 2007, 12:08:41 PM
Other things I expect to come out of Vanguard...when I forward one of their customer 'service' e-mails to 14 people within 5 minutes, the name of my true love will appear on the screen, I will be granted a wish, and Bill Gates/AOL will cut me a check for every person who receives it.   :o

Only if it doesn't end up int their "Spam" folder    >:D

Matt

So, perhaps I've missed something in the grand scheme of things...  Perusing Vanguard's "website" today looking for the handy-dandy green books... found them...  But $6.25 a hit?

Have these always cost this much or is it since the great migration?

But on the plus side... there was an image available.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

JC004

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 21, 2007, 06:55:23 PM

I wonder if our orders go into their spam filter?   :)

Matt

Quote from: JC004 on August 02, 2007, 06:40:32 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on April 21, 2007, 06:55:23 PM

I wonder if our orders go into their spam filter?   :)

Wouldn't doubt it...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>