Main Menu

VANGUARD website

Started by Sarge, April 10, 2007, 06:40:53 AM

Sarge

OK, I have a question. Is there a third grade class running the Vanguard website? I have been told time and time again "just give them some time and they will upgrade their website" and "they are just getting used to handling CAP gear"...still their website stinks! One of the absolute WORST ever e-commerce sites in history. Confusing, poorly organized, contorted images and no pictures of alot of stuff,(how long does it take?) just plain bad! It is an embarrassment to show it to new members looking for uniform sites. And why cant they offer "packages" like the HOCK does? Oh yeah, that would be too easy...Granted, the HOCK site is not exactly slick or "cutting edge", but at least it is manageable. I would send this to the CAP liaison at Vanguard, but do not have her e-mail address. Message: I would buy more from Vanguard, but I cant even see what I am ordering in some cases. Get a clue and get with the program. These people need website help in a big way. Is anyone at NHQ equally appalled by this mess? Some web-savvy CAPer ought to consult with them...Your thoughts???

Al Sayre

You're preaching to the chior here...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

I spoke with them about the web site mess, and they said they're going to be making it not suck.  ::holds breath::

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 10, 2007, 01:06:03 PM
I spoke with them about the web site mess, and they said they're going to be making it not suck.  ::holds breath::

After holding his breath......he dies.  Thanks Vanguard!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

If you look at their military sites, there are even items there with no photos. Strange since they have been producing them for YEARS
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sarge on April 10, 2007, 06:40:53 AM
OK, I have a question. Is there a third grade class running the Vanguard website? I have been told time and time again "just give them some time and they will upgrade their website" and "they are just getting used to handling CAP gear"...still their website stinks! One of the absolute WORST ever e-commerce sites in history. Confusing, poorly organized, contorted images and no pictures of alot of stuff,(how long does it take?) just plain bad! It is an embarrassment to show it to new members looking for uniform sites. And why cant they offer "packages" like the HOCK does? Oh yeah, that would be too easy...Granted, the HOCK site is not exactly slick or "cutting edge", but at least it is manageable. I would send this to the CAP liaison at Vanguard, but do not have her e-mail address. Message: I would buy more from Vanguard, but I cant even see what I am ordering in some cases. Get a clue and get with the program. These people need website help in a big way. Is anyone at NHQ equally appalled by this mess? Some web-savvy CAPer ought to consult with them...Your thoughts???
Look at the following:
Quote from: RiverAux on April 10, 2007, 01:13:54 AM
In his "From Your National Commander" column in the March/April Volunteer MG Pineda said this:
QuoteAs your national commander, I encourage all CAP volunteers and our loyal supporters to communicate your suggestions and concerns.  Individuals with agenda items that have not been brought before the National Board or those wishing to share shining examples of outstanding performance and efficiency are encouarged to email the deputy chiefs of staff or CAP National Vice Commander Brig. Gen. Amy Courter.  Their contact information is available at www.cap.gov

FYI, the deputy chiefs of staff are:
Training: Col. David L. Mikelson
Support: Col. Eileen Parker
Operations: Col. Andrew Skiba
Strategic Missions:  Brig. Gen. Richard Anderson

So, a major problem in CAP appears to have been solved in that there is now a sanctioned way for any CAP member to directly contact high level CAP officer with their ideas and suggestions.  Granted, just because you can send them an email, doesn't mean they will act on it.  But, it has a better chance of at least being read than an email started off by 2LT Snuffy Smith in the Podunk Cadet Squadron does of getting up there. 

However, we should be careful in how we use this because if they get deluged with a bunch of really bad comments they will decide that they will need to have them "filtered" a bit by lower ranking CAP staff. 

So, put your thinking and writing caps on!

I think that one of the above could help you out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

None of my experiences with Vangaurd have been simple/pleasent/impressive.

From a company that has made insignia for the military since, at least I've been in, you'd think they'd have their "stuff" in one sock.  I've ordered stuff through them for both military and CAP stuff and all 3 times its been one helluva task.

And yes, their site sucks! 

I miss the bookstore catalog.  I miss having a catalog I could throw in my bag and look at in class, at work, on the jon, or wherever and be able to get an idea of pricing without having to navigate through some 3rd grade run website where half of the items don't seem to have images.  Grrr..
Serving since 1987.

LtCol White

Things sure worked well with the old bookstore!! It was fast and easy.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Lancer

Well, as we were told at our wing conference by the Vanguard representative there, the new website should be live by the end of May and it will make all of us happy. Of course, until that time comes, we're all ::holding our breath::

I was told this as well when I talked to Beth Maul prior to the conference when I was ordering my corporate service uniform. That was my first time ordering from Vanguard and I was pleased with the results, not pleased with the pricetag, but at least I got what I ordered and it came rather quickly considering the circumstances.

The interesting part was the display near their cash register with new 'prototypes' of kitschy items they can splash our logo on and sell to us, pretty much everyone who got near them, they asked their opinion of the items, especially the cadets.

TankerT

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 06:01:45 PM

???

Um.  You talking about Barnes and Noble?  Borders?

I'm sure you're not talking about the CAP Bookstore.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

LtCol White

Quote from: TankerT on April 10, 2007, 06:04:47 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 06:01:45 PM

???

Um.  You talking about Barnes and Noble?  Borders?

I'm sure you're not talking about the CAP Bookstore.

Yep, I never had a single problem over the years with them. always had my orders within a week of ordering with no mistakes
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Stonewall

Every penny I made as a cadet went to the bookstore (or Brigade Quartermaster).  I'd order at least once a month from the Bookstore and only had one problem.

WIWAC I ordered the CAP Business cards; 250 for $12.00 or something and they wouldn't put "383RD Search and Rescue Squadron" on them because it wasn't a "real unit".  Pssshhh, what do they know.  It was real in my mind.
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

HEY, did you see this?!!  I can't believe we're finally going to get to wear them...

You better get to Vanguard's CAP website now so you can be added to the Back/Order list, and if they come you'll get one!  :P

...and can they get that stupid animation off the front page?!  >:(

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

Quote from: alamrcn on April 10, 2007, 07:18:25 PM
HEY, did you see this?!!  I can't believe we're finally going to get to wear them...

You better get to Vanguard's CAP website now so you can be added to the Back/Order list, and if they come you'll get one!  :P

- Ace

Isn't that what we are now wearing on our uniforms for any item they dont have shown?  >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RogueLeader

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 07:24:27 PM

- Ace

Isn't that what we are now wearing on our uniforms for any item they dont have shown?  >:D

I've even got that on my name tapes ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alamrcn

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 07:24:27 PM

That particular item is what the National Capitol Wing shoulder patch looks like - the same one they have used since January 26, 1953. But it still might be too new to get a picture of it. Ya think the folks in DC are happy with the Vangard website?

Here's the link to their infamous NO PHOTO image...
http://www.civilairpatrolstore.com/store/images/nophoto.jpg
Let's see who can come up with the most creative way to use it!  ;D
That is, more so than the website does.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Lancer

Hey, that's the new OPSEC/INFOSEC Speciality Badge! Sweet!  ;D

No kidding, at least put up a Java based Tank game! Hehehe.

RogueLeader

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 10, 2007, 07:35:13 PM

Hey, that's the new OPSEC/INFOSEC Speciality Badge! Sweet!  ;D

No kidding, at least put up a Java based Tank game! Hehehe.
Hey!  at least the tank game was fun to play, instead of Vangaurd's site.  what is Vanguard the vanguard of anyway?  Lousy service with a lousy website?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

And while they're working on taking photos of items that haven't had one in the last year, maybe someone could teach them how to make a thumbnail image properly??   ::)

The proper way does not involve taking a 1:1.5 or 1:2 ratio rectangular image and smashing that into a 1:1 square thumbnail.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: Pylon on April 10, 2007, 07:55:52 PM
And while they're working on taking photos of items that haven't had one in the last year, maybe someone could teach them how to make a thumbnail image properly??   ::)

The proper way does not involve taking a 1:1.5 or 1:2 ratio rectangular image and smashing that into a 1:1 square thumbnail.   :P

You mean like the new Photo ID's??  ;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG