Level 4 Leadership requirement question

Started by vento, April 03, 2014, 07:35:56 PM

vento

The Leadership requirement for Level 4 (per Attachemnt 1 of CAPR 50-17 19AUG2013) states:
"Serve as a director or staff member of a CAP course or educational activity OR National, Region, or Wing Conference"

So the question I have:
What constitutes a staff member of a CAP course or educational activity?
Are instructors (SLS or CLC for example) considered part of the staff?

Thanks

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Storm Chaser

There's a requirement that the course must have 12 hours of contact time, which mean some of the newer forms of SLS and CLC, with the majority of the course being online, self pace, don't qualify. (Ref. CAPR 50-17, Attach. 3)

Tim Medeiros

There is a listing on one of the last pages of CAPR 52-16 50-17 which has the answers you seek.

Edit: This is what I get for responding just after waking up for work.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

tonyairplane

It also says to write to NHQ because the list changes.  Well I wrote to them and got a reply along the lines of "why are you writing to us?"

Plus yes, as was mentioned here and in another thread, the courses that one will be able help with are getting to be fewer.

They will probably have to change the requirement as things move toward online training.

a2capt

Hey, at least you got an answer.

I'm actually surprised there is such a comment. A change would be an updated release of the publication. Why does that one need to be different?

Eclipse

Quote from: tonyairplane on April 03, 2014, 11:40:08 PMPlus yes, as was mentioned here and in another thread, the courses that one will be able help with are getting to be fewer.

Fewer?  Cite please.

This requirement keeps getting looser and looser.  When I joined you had to be the course director, and it was basically only SLS/CLC.

Now it's pretty much any course with the appropriate contact hours:

Squadron Leadership School

Corporate Learning Course

Unit Commanders Course

CAP Safety Officer College

Region Staff College

National Staff College

Wing, Region and National Cadet Courses and Education/Training Activities (includes encampments)

Wing, Region and National Aerospace Education Courses and Education/Training Activities

National Emergency Services Academy (NESA) including its subordinate schools

Airborne Real-time Cueing Hyperspectral Enhanced Recon (ARCHER) Operator Training

Satellite-transmitted Digital Imaging System (SDIS) Operator Training

Intermediate Incident Command System Training: ICS-300

Advanced Incident Command System Training: ICS-400

National Check Pilot Standardization Courses

Mountain Flying Clinics/Mountain Fury Course

Pilot Continuation Training

Critical Incident Stress Management Training

Individual Crisis Intervention & Peer Support

Group Crisis Intervention• Pastoral Crisis Intervention I & II
Advanced Crisis Intervention

Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training

Advanced First Aid / First Responder Training

National Operations Center Augmentee Training

Chaplain Corps Region Staff College

Training Leaders of Cadets

National Legal Officer College

CAP Inspector General College

The "newer" classes are exceptions and not considered the preferred way to participate in these activities.
If you can't find an hour to teaching something from that list above, you're not active enough to deserve Level IV

"That Others May Zoom"

tonyairplane

It is funny that you should say that.  It actually took me writing to them twice before  I got a reply.  Now I sent a followup question and wrote again after that and still no answer.

tonyairplane

Yes, fewer.  As we discussed in the other thread, some Wings are having SLS and CLC done in part online with a shorter (less than 12 hours) capstone portion in person.

Other courses will certainly follow.

That is what I meant.  There will be fewer opportunities for a 12 hour contact course.

Eclipse

Quote from: tonyairplane on April 03, 2014, 11:53:50 PM
Other courses will certainly follow.

Cite.

Much (most?) most of that list cannot be accomplished online.

Repeating, SLS/CLC is the >only< online PD course, there have been no public indications that is changing, and
it is in very, very limited use, requiring Wing CC approval (which has sometimes been denied according to
messages here).

"That Others May Zoom"

tonyairplane

Why do you keep saying "cite"?

It is obvious that more courses will move to online completely or hybrid.

It certainly will not be fewer.

Eclipse

The SLS/CLC is a special case because many wings were / are shirking their responsibility to run
them timely and accessible to their membership.

I suppose here's no arguing that more curriculum will move online, but that doesn't mean those
classes won't count, nor that there will be reduced opportunities to be an instructor as required for
Level IV.   There's also the issue that participation is somewhat circular anyway.

In other words, if you aren't participating in those classes or activities indicated in the non-exclusive list, the
odds of getting to the master level in most of the "mainstream" specialties is pretty low, anyway.

I got my master in CP as a side benefit of what I was doing anyway - one day I did the math and
realized "oh, this is done".

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I have agree with Eclipse. There are far more, and much easier, ways to complete this requirement than in the past. In residence SLS and CLC are still here, and they're only two of the many courses on the list.

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on April 04, 2014, 12:42:52 AM
I got my master in CP as a side benefit of what I was doing anyway - one day I did the math and
realized "oh, this is done".

That's how I got most of mine. The rest were "Golly, I just need one more thing and I got another."

vento

Quote from: tonyairplane on April 04, 2014, 12:35:31 AM

No disrespect to anybody, but THIS has to be the funniest thing I read today.  ;D

Tim, thanks for the cite on CAPR 52-16. And thanks everyone for the input.  :clap:

a2capt

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: vento on April 04, 2014, 03:50:53 AM
Quote from: tonyairplane on April 04, 2014, 12:35:31 AM

No disrespect to anybody, but THIS has to be the funniest thing I read today.  ;D

Tim, thanks for the cite on CAPR 52-16. And thanks everyone for the input.  :clap:
Just a note, I goofed, it should be 50-17, been working the CP side of the house a bit much lately and got mixed up.

Attachment 3 (page 35) has the listing.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

vento

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 03, 2014, 07:47:19 PM
There's a requirement that the course must have 12 hours of contact time......  (Ref. CAPR 50-17, Attach. 3)

A follow up question if I may. What exactly does the course must have 12 hours of contact time mean?
1. The whole course is over 12 hours in duration (think CLC)? OR
2. The instructor must instruct for over 12 hours in the course?
Thanks

Eclipse

12 hours worth of classes based on whomever creates the curriculum.

Long-winded instructors don't count.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The way I see it as having meant when it was a "course director" slot, was the course was significant investment from both the director and students time.

The way it reads now, is that the course must be that, for whoever lists it. So a weeknight training class won't work, but a weeks worth of nights in a series would. That still leaves the actual level of participation in the lurch.

"Staff"? .. coffee maker. Sign in roster taker, instructor, IT support.. all of the above. Some require lots of work, others.. not so.