Can a person with an Other Than Honarble discharge join CAP?

Started by JAH1967, April 02, 2014, 03:58:29 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: The14th on April 06, 2014, 05:10:34 AM
If you get an ELS, who cares if you got a NDSM?

It's not really "caring," more like "what does this mean?"

For a Guard member the DD214 ELS is not "the last word" - it is the State Military Department which determines the nature of a discharge.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

Okay, but what does the NDSM have to do with discharge classification?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: The14th on April 06, 2014, 06:32:13 AM

Simply that I find it somewhat odd that someone with an ELS can get a service medal; I understand that with the Guard it can happen because they are the final discharging authority.

When I was at Lackland back when F-80's were still active (kidding, of course), I had to make a run to what was then called Med Hold (Med Hell).  I remember walking past a roomful of ex-recruits being sent home, being lectured by a civilian who, at that precise moment, was talking about this very topic.  My memory has grown fuzzy with age, but I think this gentleman said anyone not getting sent home for Fraudulent Enlistment would get the NDSM.  Of course, I did not have time to linger unless I wanted to risk the wrath of a TSgt I was supposed to connect with!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

Quote from: CyBorg on April 07, 2014, 07:46:12 PM

Simply that I find it somewhat odd that someone with an ELS can get a service medal; I understand that with the Guard it can happen because they are the final discharging authority.

Oh, well that I agree with for sure. And I have to wonder about someone with an ELS trying to get their NDSM after the fact, that seems like way more of a hassle than it's worth of an award that they just give you for showing up. Not much of a purpose.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: The14th on April 07, 2014, 08:14:40 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on April 07, 2014, 07:46:12 PM

Oh, well that I agree with for sure. And I have to wonder about someone with an ELS trying to get their NDSM after the fact, that seems like way more of a hassle than it's worth of an award that they just give you for showing up. Not much of a purpose.

I dunno...to put in a shadowbox or something?  To show off to people?  To wear on civilian clothing for veterans' celebrations?

Note: All of the above come rather close to "poseur-ism" for me.

I do remember one CAP officer, fairly high-ranking, who wore that as his single military ribbon on his otherwise all-CAP ribbon rack.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

I would love to see the shadow box of a guy who flunked out of Basic after 2 weeks and got an ELS.

And yes, I believe posing would be the main reason. Or stack stacking.

lordmonar

Whether someone would go out of their way to get it on the DD214 or not is not the point.

The point is wear criteria is serve on active duty.   They second you say "So help me god" you get your first ribbon.

Cyborg....it is is all "poseur-ism".   Nothing wrong with that.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

Private Investigator

The14th

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 08, 2014, 07:55:26 PM
Quote from: The14th on April 07, 2014, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on April 07, 2014, 09:30:18 PM
Quote from: The14th on April 07, 2014, 09:24:10 PM
I would love to see the shadow box of a guy who flunked out of Basic after 2 weeks and got an ELS.

And yes, I believe posing would be the main reason. Or stack stacking.

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/ItemList--Commemorative-Medals--m-599

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/ItemList--Commemorative-Certificates--m-1054

Can I get a Civil War Victory Medal on there?

Was you on the winning side?  ;)

In all seriousness, I had a lot of family fight on both sides, but the majority were Confederates.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I was going to ask you about which side's medal you wanted!

At the time of the Civil War/War Between The States most of my ancestors were probably making wine along the Rhine or being some of the last of Ireland's nobility (a direct ancestor of mine was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland) so it's likely none of them fought in that war.

I don't know what to think of these commemorative medals, though...you can't wear them on any military uniform (including CAP/CGAUX), and they're expensive trinkets to just display...just wondering.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

Seems like the sort of thing Stolen Valor posers buy to impress civilians who don't know any better.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: The14th on April 08, 2014, 09:11:17 PM
Seems like the sort of thing Stolen Valor posers buy to impress civilians who don't know any better.

Stolen valor guys usually buy actual ribbons/medals/badges. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The commemoratives do seem to have a legitimate market for older vets. Especially when it comes to commemorating important events for which there were no dedicated medals.

For example, I wouldn't begrudge a guy who landed at Omaha Beach wanting to wear a "D-Day Medal." Or a guy who wanted to have a unit citation medal instead of a ribbon in a shadow box. Or the family wanting to honor dear departed Uncle Willie.

In the UK, the commemoratives are popular with vets. But they can't be worn with real medals, even by civilians. They are usually worn on the right side, real ones on the left.

Interestingly, it's also not uncommon in the UK to wear medals of departed ancestors. But, on the right side, to show that the wearer is doing it in tribute and not trying to claim personal honors.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

The14th

Wearing medals on the right wouldn't work here, because us Army folk already wear actual awards on that side too.

Flying Pig

When I was a Sgt in the Marines one of my PFCs did that.  Wore his grandfathers WWII medals on his marine dress blues at some veterans event where his deceased grandfather was being honored.  He openly showed me pictures of the event and told me his grandmother wanted him to wear them.   We had a long discussion about the issue and that was the end of it.  His grandfather had quite a stack to include the silver star. Bronze star and Purple Heart.  No posing, just a new kid who didn't have any ill intent.

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on April 08, 2014, 09:05:48 PM
At the time of the Civil War/War Between The States

The War of Northern Aggression.   :P

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on April 09, 2014, 04:35:46 AM

Strange......as I was taught in history class.....some Southerners started taking pot shots at a federal fort.........who was the aggressor?  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on April 09, 2014, 05:34:28 AM
Quote from: Panache on April 09, 2014, 04:35:46 AM

Strange......as I was taught in history class.....some Southerners started taking pot shots at a federal fort.........who was the aggressor?  :)

Strictly self-defense, sir!  That fort was coming right at us!   8)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: The14th on April 08, 2014, 10:53:25 PM
Wearing medals on the right wouldn't work here, because us Army folk already wear actual awards on that side too.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The family and/or commemorative medals on the right arrangement is for civilian clothing. They are not allowed on uniforms.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.