Can a person with an Other Than Honarble discharge join CAP?

Started by JAH1967, April 02, 2014, 03:58:29 PM

Devil Doc

I dont see why people dont want to learn Confederate History also. It is ignorant. History is History, rather bad or good.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Майор Хаткевич

Learning is one thing. Giving rebels honor medals is another.

The14th

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 01, 2014, 03:29:23 PM

I'm pretty sure there are still units active today that's lineage is partially tied to units that fought for the Confederates. They continue on their history, regardless of which side they fought on. They were Americans and a huge portion of country has family members who fought for the South, whether you agree with their cause or not. It's a whole different scenario than say giving Medals of Honor to Nazis.

MSG Mac

Quote from: LSThiker on May 01, 2014, 02:18:01 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 12:17:51 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 01, 2014, 12:15:54 PM
That snotty comment was her way of showing contempt for them. She could not say in a public forum she felt it was not a good idea, so she hid her feelings maybe not too well.

I find that type of concentration interesting, considering that there's no such thing as a Congressional Medal of Honor.

No where in the article was the medal referred to as the Congressional Medal of Honor.  The society's name is Congressional Medal of Honor Society as dictated by the US Congress under 36 U.S.C., Chapter 33, which was signed into law by President Eisenhower on 05 August 1958.  So really kind of a mutt moot point.

And a fun fact, despite the movie Courage Under Fire claim that no woman has received the MOH, there has been 1 woman to receive the MOH.  This was at Bull Run in 1861.  Also, prior to 1863, only enlisted were allowed to receive the MOH.  Finally, the USAF did not adopt a MOH design until 1963.

In fact it wasn't  until 1914 that Officers of the Navy and Marine Corps were authorized to be awarded the Medal of Honor.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

FlyTiger77

I wonder what George Washington was thinking when he directed creation of the Purple Heart?

Two thoughts: One man's rebel may be another man's hero. History is typically written by the winners.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 02, 2014, 02:40:33 PM
Two thoughts: One man's rebel may be another man's hero. History is typically written by the winners.

Perspective adds a lot as well.

If one reads about the American Revolution in a British or Canadian school textbook, the perspective is quite different!  Example: Benedict Arnold is regarded as one of those "cranky Yanks" who had the good sense (if belated) to return to Mother Britain.  Drive the "Loyalist Parkway" east of Toronto (make sure to stop by RCAF Trenton to see the RCAF Museum!) and you'll see no shortage of crowns, and Union Jacks almost outnumber Canadian flags.

Japan is currently in the mindset of rethinking its role in WWII - some might say "rewriting history."  I do not know enough about the specific situation to say whether they are or not.

Even though they enjoy the benefits of being part of one of the world's freest and most respected nations, there are some hardcore separatists in Quebec who still regard themselves as a "conquered people"...even after 300 years of being part of first a British colony, then united British colonies, to independent Commonwealth Dominion.

Some Texans regard themselves as a "nation," which of course they once were.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: shuman14 on April 16, 2014, 03:04:13 AM
Southern Cross of Honor

So that is for a second place finish? In 2014 we call that the "consolation prize". Finishing last or being the loser is not politically correct.   8) 

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CyBorg on May 02, 2014, 04:48:51 PM

If one reads about the American Revolution in a British or Canadian school textbook, the perspective is quite different!  Example: Benedict Arnold is regarded as one of those "cranky Yanks" who had the good sense (if belated) to return to Mother Britain.  Drive the "Loyalist Parkway" east of Toronto (make sure to stop by RCAF Trenton to see the RCAF Museum!) and you'll see no shortage of crowns, and Union Jacks almost outnumber Canadian flags.

Japan is currently in the mindset of rethinking its role in WWII - some might say "rewriting history."  I do not know enough about the specific situation to say whether they are or not.

Even though they enjoy the benefits of being part of one of the world's freest and most respected nations, there are some hardcore separatists in Quebec who still regard themselves as a "conquered people"...even after 300 years of being part of first a British colony, then united British colonies, to independent Commonwealth Dominion.

Intended comment re British history withdrawn - joke not as funny as I thought!

lordmonar

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on May 02, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 02, 2014, 04:48:51 PM

Intended comment re British history withdrawn - joke not as funny as I thought!
When I was deployed to Bosnia in '98 we invited the UK contingent over to our compound for our 4th of July Independence Day celebration.   The UK Royal Engineer said it best.  "To the 4th of July....the day the British Empire decided to cut their losses and get rid of their marginal business ventures"   :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mitchell 1969

The only people "...giving rebels honor medals..." are people presenting them to their own ancestors. They're entitled to do that, I think.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Panache

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 02, 2014, 05:33:18 PM
Finishing last or being the loser is not politically correct.   8)

Oh, I disagree.  There's quite a flourishing and vibrant "victimhood" culture in the United States nowadays.  In some circles, being successful is definitely not politically correct.

The14th

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Panache

SarDragon

This thread's got more twists and turns than Lombard Street.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret