PD Progression, Grade Structure & Professionalism

Started by ProdigalJim, February 08, 2014, 02:39:55 AM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Panache on February 26, 2014, 04:52:03 AM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 25, 2014, 07:18:05 PM
The unwritten rule of 2d Lts not saluting 1st Lts in the USAF is likely from the operations-side of the house and general mindset. Because of timing issues, it is possible for a 2d Lt to have more technical, and leadership, experience than a 1st Lt.

By that logic, there's no reason for anybody who's E-7 or higher to salute anybody O-3 or lower.

That's not the reason. While an Air Force 2d Lt can certainly salute a 1st Lt (and they normally do while in certain training environments), 2d Lt and 1st Lt are considered peers just like Amn and A1C are.

Майор Хаткевич

PHall

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on February 27, 2014, 01:52:30 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 27, 2014, 12:12:23 AM
Not if you ask the A1C.  >:D

And you have experience is this? >:D >:D

Yes. Known many a fresh A1C, saviour of the (air) force, leader of the skeeters.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: Panache on February 26, 2014, 04:52:03 AM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 25, 2014, 07:18:05 PM
The unwritten rule of 2d Lts not saluting 1st Lts in the USAF is likely from the operations-side of the house and general mindset. Because of timing issues, it is possible for a 2d Lt to have more technical, and leadership, experience than a 1st Lt.

By that logic, there's no reason for anybody who's E-7 or higher to salute anybody O-3 or lower.

I didn't say it completely made sense. But there you have it. Whether it's right or not (culturally, not by letter of the reg) is somewhat irrelevant as it is a largely ingrained part of the USAF culture. Folks can stamp their feet or say 'THAT'S NOT RIGHT!' or 'E-7s shouldn't have to salute' all day long...it likely isn't going to change much, if at all, for several generations.

It would take a shift so those that do the 'right' thing aren't looked down on by a number of their peers to really start to shift it. As long as there is the peer-based politics in the CGO corps, I don't see it going away any time soon.

Eclipse

^ And that's fine, for the USAF, as long as there's no attempt to import that into CAP
or imply it's wrong for a CAP 2d Lt to salute a USAF 1st Lt, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

So does this also mean that 1st Lieutenants should not salute Captains, since they are both "company-grade" officers?

And what about Warrant Officers?  I know, the AF does not have them (neither do we, of course) but it is entirely possible to cross paths with one on a base, especially where other services are tenant units.

I would feel a bit odd as a CAP Captain being saluted by a CWO of any level.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LGM30GMCC

I didn't say 'should' or 'shouldn't' I am simply saying what the culture IS.

Captains are always saluted by Lieutenants. By the time it shakes out to captain the chances of you having 0 operational experience is rapidly approaching zero. (Since that is the 4 year point.)

You can try to argue the logic all day long, but it is simply a cultural thing that seems to be unique to the AF, and largely to one part of the USAF. (The operations world.)

As Eclipse said, it's fine for the USAF but that doesn't mean it should be applied to CAP. I would definitely argue it's inappropriate even though you could have a similar situation. (Pilot 1st Lt with no PD training beyond level 1 and 6 months experience in CAP compared to 2d Lt with a tech rating, level I and OBC complete.)

That being said, one move in the proposal was to try to mitigate/curtail that by eliminating the vast majority of special promotions

DrKem

When appropriate, I salute all superior officers.  It's simply a sign of respect for the grade as well as the individual who richly earned that grade.  When is it appropriate?  Outdoors, when reporting, etc.  Do I expect to be saluted by junior officers?  That is their perogative. I do gently remind cadets but only to help educate them in military culture.  For me, the core value is respect for our fellow members, both seniors and cadets.  We are a team.
Dr. Kem Fronabarger, Major CAP
SC Wing Director of Professional Development
Certificate of Proficiency, 13 Jul 1964
Amelia Earhart Award #1105, 11 Mar 1966