Question on Squadron Deactivation

Started by planenut767, January 17, 2014, 09:32:53 PM

planenut767

Received word recently that my squadron charter was being pulled by the wing as a result the squadron will be deactivated shortly and all members placed in the wing's 000 squadron. I tried looking in the regs, but can't find an answer. I wanted to know whether or not there was a time limit for me to find a new unit before I get placed on any kind of Patron/Inactive status? Thanks in advance.

RogueLeader

Have you checked CAPR 20-3?

It doesn't give a timeline, but it says Wing should inquire if anybody wants a transfer to another unit.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

The deactivation will happen on it's own schedule, and your membership will initially be transferred either to 000
or whatever unit the Wing CC dictates, but these days it's usually 000.  Patron status would likely be held off a reasonable
time for you to find a new unit. 

From there, it's up to you to find a new squadron as soon as you can, bearing in mind also that you will be subject to the
same transfer boards, etc., as any other member.  No CC will be specifically obligated to accept you, or anyone else from the
closing unit.

Bear in mind also that the decision to close a charter is never easy or done flippantly.  It is literally the last thing a
Wing CC ever wants to do and generally reflects a "no choice" situation.

Move on and leave any baggage behind.

"That Others May Zoom"

planenut767

Thanks Eclipse. I just wanted to see if there was any hard and fast time limit. The big limiting factor is my job and the fact that I'm working when the other local squadrons are having their meetings. I don't want to be anyone's burden in the sense that I don't know how much I can physically participate in any of their activities other than on my days off. I realize the leeway granted at the old squadron may not apply at the new one.  Anyway it's all a work in progress right now.

Eclipse

Quote from: planenut767 on January 18, 2014, 12:40:25 AM
Thanks Eclipse. I just wanted to see if there was any hard and fast time limit. The big limiting factor is my job and the fact that I'm working when the other local squadrons are having their meetings. I don't want to be anyone's burden in the sense that I don't know how much I can physically participate in any of their activities other than on my days off. I realize the leeway granted at the old squadron may not apply at the new one.  Anyway it's all a work in progress right now.

Certainly legitimate concerns and limiting factors, stressing again the need for every unit in this country to start recruiting today.

A unit with reasonable size and critical mass can afford opportunities for members with less free time, because the ship will keep
sailing without being dependent on a few names.

But when they shrink to charter minimums, and some of those members can't be there much, that's when shutdown discussions
start.

"That Others May Zoom"