Main Menu

New ID card oddity.

Started by Sapper168, January 06, 2014, 09:42:04 PM

Sapper168

I just got my new ID Card and something struck me as odd. Where ther used to be a bar code in the lower right corner of the front, there was now what looked like part of a QR code.  Anyone else have this on theirs?
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

a2capt

3D barcode? Hopefully it's just an anomaly and not more NHQ NIH syndrome creep.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on January 06, 2014, 09:44:42 PM
3D barcode? Hopefully it's just an anomaly and not more NHQ NIH syndrome creep.

2D barcode, not 3D.   (1D = Normal barcode, like a Code39, 2D = "square" that reads left-right and up-down. 3D would include some sort of color depth to bring another "dimension")

Meaning anybody using a 1D barcode scanner to read CAP IDs is now out of luck.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Brad

It's a QR code of likely your CAPID. I'll scan mine later. Yes QR codes can be that small and still usable, they have a scaling formula.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

dwb

It is indeed a QR code of your CAPID. I just scanned mine.

LSThiker

Quote from: NIN

Unless it is NHQ idea to start using smartphone technology, which of course you can download a QR scanner for free.

a2capt

QR.. great. WTG NHQ. Take something that pretty much any cheap, available piece of hardware, and phone/camera could read and turn it into something that now requires upgraded hardware if you want to use something besides an app to read, with a phone.

So much for all that simple scan the barcode to sign in.

I bet it's still the same cheap piece of junk card that the corners peel up on within a couple weeks of receiving it.

Mustang

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

cm42

Yeah, super annoying change. Now the donated 1D scanner that plugged in to USB and worked very easily has become a smartphone, wifi, and VNC server to work for rapid sign-in. Oh, except scanning IDs with your smartphone means focusing, and it now takes longer. Thanks NHQ!

a2capt

But it's seriously tactikewl, after all- QR cod3zZz~1!1!! are everywhere!

Lets get in on the act too!

Sigh.. ;)

JeffDG

This was recently noticed on the CAP-DC mailing list...

A fair number of wings have built processes off of barcode scanning ID cards...and the QR Code contains exactly the same information as the old 1D code did.

An inquiry has been made to NHQ about "Why?"  Maybe someone thought QR codes were "cool", and in making an unannounced change, made life harder for those of us out in the field.

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on January 07, 2014, 12:06:19 AM

Unless it is NHQ idea to start using smartphone technology, which of course you can download a QR scanner for free.
And that same free QR scanner will read old fashioned barcodes too!

So, it appears they just broke something without bothering to tell anyone.

NIN

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
This was recently noticed on the CAP-DC mailing list...

A fair number of wings have built processes off of barcode scanning ID cards...and the QR Code contains exactly the same information as the old 1D code did.

An inquiry has been made to NHQ about "Why?"  Maybe someone thought QR codes were "cool", and in making an unannounced change, made life harder for those of us out in the field.

My boss jumped on the QR code bandwagon last year. Put a QR code on the back of our business cards with all our contact (ie. vcf-style info) in it.

He had a sales guy from the printing company convince him to spend money on stuff we didn't need for some snake oil.

Haven't heard from a single person who has used the QR code on the back of our cards. At all. Period.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2014, 07:00:24 PM

Word was we planned on integrating barcode scanners into encampment check in procedures. Barcode scanners can be had for 20-40 bucks with a USB plug and play function and virtual keyboard input. Something with QR codes? Good luck.

JeffDG

Quote from: cm42 on January 07, 2014, 01:17:29 AM
Yeah, super annoying change. Now the donated 1D scanner that plugged in to USB and worked very easily has become a smartphone, wifi, and VNC server to work for rapid sign-in. Oh, except scanning IDs with your smartphone means focusing, and it now takes longer. Thanks NHQ!
Start voicing concerns with this through your respective Chains-of-Command.

I know this has gone to NHQ/DOK for sure already.  But I'll bet there are ES folks that would like to see this reversed (although for ES, we still have the CAPF 101 with a traditional barcode)...and others.  If a groundswell of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot comes up, perhaps whoever thought "Hey, QR codes are cool..." might reconsider and we'll just have a small number of outliers this year.

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 07, 2014, 07:09:49 PM

Word was we planned on integrating barcode scanners into encampment check in procedures. Barcode scanners can be had for 20-40 bucks with a USB plug and play function and virtual keyboard input. Something with QR codes? Good luck.
2D barcode readers like the traditional $30 ones (just bought a couple) are about $150-$200...and don't work as simple keyboard wedges really well (QR encodes field names and a bunch of other stuff)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2014, 07:14:44 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 07, 2014, 07:09:49 PM

2D barcode readers like the traditional $30 ones (just bought a couple) are about $150-$200...and don't work as simple keyboard wedges really well (QR encodes field names and a bunch of other stuff)

And if we're talking 5-10 units, that cost is too much, whereas the "old", "uncool", cereal box code scanners work fine and are cheap.

a2capt

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2014, 07:13:30 PMStart voicing concerns with this through your respective Chains-of-Command.
This is a great example of "through the chain" is a crock of ..

Because it takes too long, and there's too many people in the path that usually just say "doesn't effect me" and flick it off, ignore it, etc.

Meanwhile that they can just change the card on a whim.. because someone things "it's cool".. I'm not even sure what to think of that.

Put it back. Leave it alone, and get back the old ID card creator that used real plastic cards and not this die cut lamination mess that peels just from looking at it.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on January 07, 2014, 07:06:31 PM
My boss jumped on the QR code bandwagon last year. Put a QR code on the back of our business cards with all our contact (ie. vcf-style info) in it.

He had a sales guy from the printing company convince him to spend money on stuff we didn't need for some snake oil.

Haven't heard from a single person who has used the QR code on the back of our cards. At all. Period.

I had a client last year with a huge, custom-themed, barcode printed on one wall of the booth. Looked really cool.
I scanned it, and it took me to an IOS-only app.  "Meh, not for me, but good idea nonetheless..."

Then about 3-hours into day one, the client realized that iOS devices don't scan barcodes by default,
they need a barcode app installed first.  So much for that idea - this particular customer demographic are
very mechanical-savvy, but not necessarily tech savvy (if you can see the difference), so it turned out to be a wash -
walking them through first installing a barcode scanner and then the app itself, defeated the idea of a "Scan and go".

If the QR contains anything other then the CAPID, then it might be a PERSEC risk, depending on what's in it.
If it's just the CAPID, then it's another unnecessary affectation which will cause issues at activities that have
mature systems using the barcode.  As mentioned, any barcode reader from the last 20 years, including the
plentiful and cheap "CueCat" could read the old-style.  Excel will accept the scan directly into a field - it's that
simple to use.

One could really ask why there's a barcode on the IDs at all, since there is no official national system that has ever used
one anyway, and nowhere else we present the cards as IDs cares what our CAP ids. 

In most cases, QR codes are just for convenience sake in linking to a website and despite seeing them in many places,
haven't really caught on.

Can the OP scan it and tell us what's in it?

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2014, 08:05:06 PM
CAPID...that's it, no additional information.

a2capt

..and that's my beef with it, it was there, it worked. We've used it many times for check in/out .. and .. Someone gets a bug up their posterior and says "hey, lets change this! .. to exactly the same thing in a different package", when A can't read B, but B can still read A.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2014, 08:16:24 PM

Then a QR code is, if not "inappropriate", certainly overkill.

Seriously, why doesn't NHQ ask about this kind of stuff?

If they think "no one is using it anyway, so no one will care...", then why include it.
If they know people are using it, then they need to do impact assessment on the change.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Along the same way we got the original triangle thingy .. someone thought it was "cute" and it stuck.

JeffDG

As mentioned, any barcode reader from the last 20 years, including the
plentiful and cheap "CueCat" could read the old-style.  Excel will accept the scan directly into a field - it's that
simple to use.

One could really ask why there's a barcode on the IDs at all, since there is no official national system that has ever used
one anyway, and nowhere else we present the cards as IDs cares what our CAP ids. 
Just CAPID is handy.  And you don't even need excel to make a traditional barcode reader work...they all emulate keyboards, so it takes the CAPID off your card and it's just as if you typed it in.  Anything that uses CAPIDs will work with them.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2014, 08:28:27 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2014, 08:16:24 PM

Then a QR code is, if not "inappropriate", certainly overkill.

Seriously, why doesn't NHQ ask about this kind of stuff?

If they think "no one is using it anyway, so no one will care...", then why include it.
If they know people are using it, then they need to do impact assessment on the change.
My mistake...it's Datamatrix, not QR...

Still bricks a bunch of hardware.

And that's exactly right:  It is either not used, in which case, why?  Or it's used and notice and opportunity to comment would be in order.

Luis R. Ramos

It is one of those solutions in search of a problem, and applications. The barcode on the ID was not used immediately after its implementation. I remember it being printed on the ID for at least 3 or 4 years before units had barcode readers.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Some barcode reader apps can't read datamatrix.

Datamatrix is what you see used in a lot of manufacturing.

Datamatrix.

QR

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

I like this one better:

And anyone can generate them...they're a great technology...

If you're curious, go to: http://www.qrstuff.com/

Eclipse

I put one one (QR) our Christmas cards last year with a link to photos from the year.

I think 2-3 people even knew what it was, the rest used the URL on the card.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 07, 2014, 08:48:16 PMI remember it being printed on the ID for at least 3 or 4 years before units had barcode readers.
Did they issue some? Everything I've got, I've bought. But I bring them to events, been doing it for years. Works great.  Point, shoot, Done. Next. Been since the first time it appeared on there. "Hey, look, cool deal, we can use this."

Eclipse

Ditto it's always been personal gear or stuff units bought.  Not aware of anything issued, nor any National
systems that can even use it.  Same goes for 101 cards.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yup. New card came today. Thanks NHQ, for changing something that worked to something that's borderline useless, as not any of 7 barcode scanners recognizes that thing.

There was -nothing- wrong with the 1D barcode. Nothing. You've not used the space on the card for something else, it's blank now, with exception of another number printed there, which for all I can tell is probably a sequence because 0705 has nothing to do with my membership, that I can tell.

Please put back the barcode. I'm not buying new equipment, and telling me "use an app" is not an acceptable answer. Having to 'dedicate' a phone or similar device when a simple "dumb" keyboard wedge device did the job just right.

Sigh.

Fubar

As a fix, I suppose you can print out bar codes and slap 'em on the back of the ID. They can be printed fairly small, which would hopefully minimize the less than professional appearance a sticker on the ID would cause...

Ned

Here's the issue:

The old-style barcode was put on the ID cards by the vendor as a way to match the card to the address it needed to get mailed to.  So, while it turned out to be useful to the field in a lot of ways, the original purpose was strictly internal to the vendor.

Of course, as it turns out many enterprising and clever members were able to repurpose the barcode and use it for the reasons folks have described here:  checking members into missions and activities, checking safety quals, etc.  All good and innovative stuff, which is what we have come to expect from our volunteers who constantly work to improve our administrative processes.

What happened was that the vendor discovered that they were getting a significant number of errors in their readers, and a fair number of ID cards got sent to the wrong address.  We received the complaints from the members and asked the vendor to improve their process.

Which they did by upgrading their readers and employing the more modern technology.

Hence the change.  The vendor simply did not know that the membership was using the older technology and could not easily upgrade.

NHQ is now aware of the issue and is reviewing it with the vendor.  Those of you with IT training and experience may want to suggest ways to (cheaply) modify the ID cards to meet the needs of both the vendor and the field.

For NHQ, the lesson is along the lines of "unintended consequences while trying to improve services to the membership."

For CT, the lesson is something along the lines of Occam's Razor - "do not be too quick to assume sinister plans or administrative indifference on the part of NHQ, when simple administrative oversight is far more likely."

Ned Lee
NHQ Apologist

Eclipse

The vendor is dictating the form and function of our ID cards?

Excellent.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Another way to look at it is that the functionality would never have been there in the first place without the vendor.

There was never a requirement from CAP to make the ID card machine-readable.  If there had been, it is almost certain that a process would have prevented what just happened.  Basically the vendor thought the bar-code was only for their internal processes, and had no way to know that hard-working members were using it for other purposes.

Interestingly, NHQ has no internal need for a a machine readable code.  It makes sense that such a need would be identified and acted upon in the field.

Far away from the vendor.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on January 09, 2014, 06:48:57 PMBasically the vendor thought the bar-code was only for their internal processes

That's my point - the thing takes about 15-20% of the front of our ID card - the face of CAP to a lot of outside people.

What the vendor needs is irrelevant.  You design a card and find someone who can meet the spec.
In a previous life I've had to deal with ID cards, etc., designing them was always a process which included
marketing and others involved with the external identity.

If a vendor had told me that their production system required a chunk of my card had to have a useless barcode,
they wouldn't have been my vendor.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Again...they dictate our design? What do they do for other customers? Slap their stuff on Id cards nilly willy? They ever hear of packing slips? Adhesive labels? Why would their internal pick list be on the card itself? And how in the world did they get mistakes from scanning the same thing they are scanning now? Sounds like a bs excuse from the vendor rather than a problem. Maybe time to change vendors. Someone who actually makes cards.

a2capt

Whatever the case may be, it's obvious the barcode has become an item used by more than an internal method.

So that '0705' number on my card probably is an order number, something for eyeballs to look at and compare with an address/order to send it to, for QC purposes.

How about .. using the CAP ID number as a key field of cross reference on the order since it is -printed- on the card? No? 

SamFranklin

"Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."   

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never cared one bit what the ID cards looked like. If we have a crummy vendor, I bet the finance people or whoever handles that will react accordingly.

lordmonar

Quote from: SamFranklin on January 09, 2014, 08:54:37 PM
"Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."   

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never cared one bit what the ID cards looked like. If we have a crummy vendor, I bet the finance people or whoever handles that will react accordingly.
No you are not in the minority.....the majority just doesn't care and don't get all in a wad about it.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

It's a slow day for me, and I decided to review NB minutes from the past.  The Spring 2005 meeting shows the ID card with barcode.  This card was eventually approved as pictured.  I don't remember the NB ever approving a card without one, or don't remember any NHQ action removing the bar code. 

I do like the idea of the vendor including it as logistics tool though... :angel:

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 09, 2014, 10:04:12 PM...the majority just doesn't care and don't get all in a wad about it.

Your threshold for "wad" must be pretty low, no one's in a "wad".

However it's the apathy about these decisions that get us where we are.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2014, 10:50:59 PMHowever it's the apathy about these decisions that get us where we are.
That right there.

..and I don't care mostly, what it looks like. As long as it's of a professional nature, and not a flimsy piece of junk.

We're at the 50% level there. I've practically given up on the other 50%, though I don't have to be quiet about it.

NIN

I see these things pretty frequently in IT. Someone at some point came up with the idea to put the barcode on there, and in the interim, national has switched ID card vendors probably 6 times. Okay maybe not 6, but probably 2 or 3 times.

So this vendor, they do these kind of cards for all kinds of organizations not just CAP.

So they probably use some kind of barcode scan to marry up the card that they print to the membership database, and not just for us but for the Pocatello Public Library as well. Now, they probably thought that the ID card barcode get used in a different way, or maybe not at all, even though its on there.

It happens, andI agree with Ned that it's likely not some kind of Machiavellian scheme. More like the last guy who knew something about how the barcodes get used probably got RIF'd 2 years ago.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on January 09, 2014, 11:02:05 PMIt happens, andI agree with Ned that it's likely not some kind of Machiavellian scheme.

It doesn't have to be a "scheme", it's just simply not a good business practice - so tomorrow if they decide their Cardbuner 9000
would work more efficiently without the text on the back, they can just do it and no one says anything until someone 3-clicks
downstream notices?

The proper way to do this was when the vendor identified an issue, they should have asked NHQ is the format change was an issue,
and NHQ should have sent out an "all' blast, or at least to the Wing CC level asking if anyone would be impacted, then assess the
impact, and decide if the vendor's needs somehow outweigh the member's needs.

A guys who used to work for my in the Dotbomb days had a term for this.

"Ready, Fire, Aim".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

a.   How many people actually use the bar codes?

b.  Those who actually use the bar codes.....what is the mission impact of changing them?

c.  What cost has been added or subtracted to the members?

Sure.....I agree that would have been a good idea to let us in the field know that a change was being made......but some here make it sound like we took away their birthdays.

As for "asking" for input from the field........sometime you just have to say "shut up and color".   Not very nice....but really let's look at past experience about this.    Vendor needs to make change....NHQ says okay.....if we got send out for comments.....you are looking at 30 days delay or more before a decision is made.....talk about not how you do business. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 10, 2014, 01:14:19 AM

b.  Those who actually use the bar codes.....what is the mission impact of changing them?

Unknown, which is the point.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2014, 01:26:25 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 10, 2014, 01:14:19 AM

Unknown, which is the point.
Because nobody bothered to do an impact analysis.

Al Sayre

What's done is done, but there's a pretty simple solution to this problem. If you are using an old style bar code scanner, just download the barcode font to your Windows Office Word or the Avery Design Pro free program and print what you want on it on some Avery Permanent Labels. Have the members stick it on the back of their ID card, and scan it next time they check in.

Design Pro can print EAN 8, 13, 128; Code 128 types A, B, & C; Code 39; 2/5 Standard & 2/5 interleaved; Codabar; UPC-A & E; and Postnet. The program is free from Avery-Dennison here: http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Software/?Ns=Rank
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

^ That's actually both a good and hilarious idea, however I'm not sure how excited a gate guard is
going to be seeing a sticker over the barcode.

Brother labels would look better, but still not great.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on January 09, 2014, 06:48:57 PM
Another way to look at it is that the functionality would never have been there in the first place without the vendor.

There was never a requirement from CAP to make the ID card machine-readable.  If there had been, it is almost certain that a process would have prevented what just happened.  Basically the vendor thought the bar-code was only for their internal processes, and had no way to know that hard-working members were using it for other purposes.

Interestingly, NHQ has no internal need for a a machine readable code.  It makes sense that such a need would be identified and acted upon in the field.

Then why do 101 cards have bar codes?

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2014, 03:14:54 AM
^ That's actually both a good and hilarious idea, however I'm not sure how excited a gate guard is

Fun fact - Camp Atterbury gate security scanned my barcode into their handheld when I entered the base last year at NESA. Not sure what they were doing with it, since a random six-digit number doesn't really have any significance unless they had some kind of special CAP procedure (which is possible, considering we're there quite a bit).

68w20

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 10, 2014, 03:17:18 AM

Fun fact - Camp Atterbury gate security scanned my barcode into their handheld when I entered the base last year at NESA. Not sure what they were doing with it, since a random six-digit number doesn't really have any significance unless they had some kind of special CAP procedure (which is possible, considering we're there quite a bit).

The gate guard at Davis-Monthan took mine, tried to scan it, said "I've never seen a card like this before," and then waved me through.

Майор Хаткевич

That will work great with cadets at encampments.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2014, 03:16:01 AM
Quote from: Ned on January 09, 2014, 06:48:57 PM

Then why do 101 cards have bar codes?

When did NHQ ever scan someone's 101 card?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Ummm... put the sticker on the back? Where it won't cover anything important? CA DMV allows the use of a sticker on the back of a drivers license for address changes, so the practice isn't totally out of line.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Yeah, great- that works fine for the people in your own area of operation, but when you have unknown who coming in, what are you going to do, have a barcode label printer on hand to just print a piece of paper to stick on the card for the next time you're going to scan it?

..paper, that's going to peel. On a flimsy card. Yeah.

Should have left it alone.

Al Sayre

You miss the point, you can do it on any printer using mailing lables...  How many people do you have that just show up.  If you know they are coming, you can print the labels ahead of time.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

There's any number of ways to "fix" this, all will make the ID card look even less professional.

However any "fix" probably negates using it in the first place.  I suppose if the wing or activity
has a complex system of station check ins, etc., where the barcode is used a bunch of times
a day, that's one thing, but otherwise, it's a 6-digit number, usually only used maybe walking in
and walking out.

If you have to "fix" the card, you can just enter the CAPID and move on.  A minor annoyance at best,
breaks some "nice to have features" of some homegrown check-in systems and just goes on the
pile with all the other "small stuff".

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: 68w10 on January 10, 2014, 03:20:26 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 10, 2014, 03:17:18 AM

The gate guard at Davis-Monthan took mine, tried to scan it, said "I've never seen a card like this before," and then waved me through.

Do not do that.  There is a procedure for CAP access onto DM and you and the guard have violated that procedure.  Contact me for further.  Doing what you have done will screw the pooch for the unit meeting on base and make it more difficult.

Private Investigator

I scanned it and it came back "666"   ???

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 10, 2014, 08:03:18 PM

Your scanner ir Tango Uniform. Both of mine came up with "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Yes, I know, you got me to check.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on January 11, 2014, 03:05:27 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 10, 2014, 08:03:18 PM

Your scanner ir Tango Uniform. Both of mine came up with "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Yes, I know, you got me to check.  :P
I'm surprised nobody identified the origin of my QR yet...

JeffDG

Since nobody's turned this into a uniform thread yet:   >:D >:D >:D

Change our rank slides out for these:

(Oh, and that is AF Blue)

cm42

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2014, 03:00:11 PMI'm surprised nobody identified the origin of my QR yet...

The Cremation of Sam McGee.

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2014, 03:00:11 PMI'm surprised nobody identified the origin of my QR yet...

I think I looked it up, and promptly blew it off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on January 12, 2014, 12:13:57 AMI think I looked it up, and promptly blew it off.
That, what he said.  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'm surprised someone who has watched too many reruns of The Omen hasn't seriously suggested these are somehow the Mark of the Beast or something.

After all, that happened with Social Security numbers and UPC barcodes.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cadeteaster13

Same here I was confused also

Майор Хаткевич

Panache

Quote from: JeffDG on January 11, 2014, 03:17:29 PM
Since nobody's turned this into a uniform thread yet:   >:D >:D >:D

Change our rank slides out for these:

(Oh, and that is AF Blue)

I want my hard QR code back!

pierson777

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 25, 2014, 10:52:22 PM

You should consider updating your photo.  I had to do a double take with that Capt grade on the ID card, but C/Capt grade in the photo.

Eclipse

Also the nausea factor, that can really slow things up at a base gate or mission admin table.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Agreed on the need, not sure how it would slow things down at a mission.

a2capt

You mean if they actually take that flimsy plastic Microsoft Paint worthy creation seriously?

Put back the barcode, please.

I find it simply amazing that NHQ's response was "we didn't think anyone used it", when there's so much automation..

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 26, 2014, 01:52:48 PM
Agreed on the need, not sure how it would slow things down at a mission.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2014, 01:10:09 PM
Also the nausea factor, that can really slow things up at a base gate or mission admin table.

Referring to your image, not the ID card itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on March 26, 2014, 04:30:44 PM
You mean if they actually take that flimsy plastic Microsoft Paint worthy creation seriously?

Put back the barcode, please.

I find it simply amazing that NHQ's response was "we didn't think anyone used it", when there's so much automation..

That was the vendor's response, not NHQ's.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Slim

It would be nice if they could bring back the bar code, and check with DoD to find out what information CAP would need to do to make that card DBIDS compliant.

I talked with a friend of mine who is also ANG SF at the local guard base about this.  What he said was that they issue DBIDS cards to anyone who doesn't have a CAC card, other type of military ID, etc.  The base is also home to three different DHS activities (a Border Patrol sector HQ, an Air/Marine wing, and a joint operations center); apparently, DHS was able to incorporate DBIDS information into the bar codes on their agency ID card to make them readable by the scanners at the gate.

Slim

a2capt

DBIDS and.. go back to a plastic card?

..and I'm not totally convinced on the story about the vendor adding the barcode for their needs only, as that barcode had been on there for a while, and that as during the era of the nice thick cards that came from NHQ.