Cadet Staff Handbook

Started by Pulsar, December 19, 2013, 06:51:51 PM

Pulsar

I was recently looking at the CAP Vector Quarterly National Staff Update, January-March 2014, and I noticed the section about the New Cadet Kit, NCO kit, and Officer kit. It said:

New Cadet Kit, Cadet NCO Kit, & Cadet Officer Kit: For decades, CAP has provided cadets with their
textbooks via mail. That program is changing slightly. Now, upon joining, new cadets will receive all six
modules of Aerospace Dimensions and Learn to Lead volume 1 and a few other resources. Then upon
earning the Wright Brothers Award, cadets will receive Learn to Lead volume 2 and the "Cadet Staff
Handbook." Upon earning the Mitchell Award, cadets will receive Aerospace: Journey of Flight textbook and
Learn to Lead volume 3. Volume 4 of Learn to Lead will no longer be provided in hard copy except through
Vanguard. All of these resources are also available for free download in the Cadet Library at
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/

So basically, what about cadets that are already NCOs or Officers. Will they receive a print copy of the Cadet Staff Handbook? I know there is a copy online but it is helpful to have a print version.

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

abdsp51

What is stopping you from printing one?

MSG Mac

As stated in the Vector, it is available for download, As is every other CAP publication. It even gave you the link.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Patterson

Your Squadron can request hard copies be shipped in eServices. Ask for one through your chain of command.

Pulsar

Quote from: Patterson on December 19, 2013, 08:25:20 PM
Your Squadron can request hard copies be shipped in eServices. Ask for one through your chain of command.
roger
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2013, 10:17:26 PM
Maybe NHQ can fax it to you.

maybe...except I nor anyone else I know has a fax machine
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Eclipse

Kinda missed the point, though granted you never answered abdsp51's question about why you can't just print it.

Viewing it on a device such as smartphone, tablet or PC costs zero.

Printing it yourself costs zero to pennies depedning on where and how.

Having NHQ mail you hard copies costs them dollars per document, I'd be willing to be
$3-5 per document by the time you factor in soft costs and postage. 

And "them" is "us".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2013, 10:52:14 PM
Kinda missed the point, though granted you never answered abdsp51's question about why you can't just print it.

Viewing it on a device such as smartphone, tablet or PC costs zero.

Printing it yourself costs zero to pennies depedning depending on where and how.

Having NHQ mail you hard copies costs them dollars per document, I'd be willing to be
$3-5 per document by the time you factor in soft costs and postage. 

And "them" is "us".

the only person in my house with a smart phone is my dad. And we have barely any ink...my dad wouldn't buy a whole ink cartridge just so I could print it. I looking for a copy really because I have some NCOs in my squadron who would like a copy and they can't read it online because they can't open it for some reason.  ::)
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Eclipse

Your squadron has a printer, as will most of the people in your unit.

If you can read / participate in this forum, you can open a .pdf.

As to your NCOs, sounds like it's time for them to learn to fish instead of being fed.  Have them close Facebook, log out of Twitter,
and use their computer for actual work - Chrome browser will view PDFs with no extra software installed.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Order one from Vanguard, download the file and take it to Kinkos, Office Depot, FEDEX, Office Max, etc. and get it printed out.

Lots of options.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

I love it when cadets give me the "can't open file" or " my email must not have sent" excuses. Just admit to not even looking at the file and forgetting to send the email. I'll respect you that much more.

a2capt

Public library, USB stick, school library.. print a few pages here, a few there. Or wait until NHQ sends it.

Though I must say, I think they should be proactive and send it at the 56 day mark of the preceding chapter. If they work at the rate that's been established, it may be the 56th day after the milestone that the items are received.

As for the hardback book, sending them to the unit, to issue to the cadets, and then they can go back online and indicate that they issued it, and would like another to backfill the library if needed.. Otherwise many units have a few extras of them anyway.

SamFranklin

You guys are being a little hard on this cadet.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SamFranklin on December 20, 2013, 06:37:56 PM
You guys are being a little hard on this cadet.

Not really. The resource is there. The cadet knows where it is.

coudano

printing those full color pubs on your home or squadron printer is ridiculous.
you aren't going to burn a $30 ink cart for something you can have shipped from nhq for (free?)

probably closer to affordable to take the pdf down to a kinkos, but you're still going to over pay...

It would probably be nice if nhq would published a stripped down b&w version that would be more printer friendly
but seriously just order a box of them from nhq and wait for them to show up

dwb

When the Handbook first came out, a copy was mailed to every unit. I agree that it's a great publication to have in hardcopy for quick reference. Like others have said, you may be able to get them for free (or not that expensive) from NHQ. Your unit commander or administrative officer can order them through eServices.

Also, I'll just leave this here. :)

SarDragon

Any color document can be printed in B/W on a regular laser printer, or on a color printer with the appropriate settings.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: coudano on December 20, 2013, 11:14:54 PM
printing those full color pubs on your home or squadron printer is ridiculous.
you aren't going to burn a $30 ink cart for something you can have shipped from nhq for (free?)

probably closer to affordable to take the pdf down to a kinkos, but you're still going to over pay...

It would probably be nice if nhq would published a stripped down b&w version that would be more printer friendly
but seriously just order a box of them from nhq and wait for them to show up

They don't need to be printed.

They don't need to be printed in color.

They do not have to be printed 1-up.

When NHQ prints them they are not "free".

And if you're spending $30 for ink, you need a new vendor.
I would suggest 1-2-3 Inkjets.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

we're talking about a typical end user who "can't" open the file and read it digitally

Eclipse

Who is likely making a lame excuse, but
also has parents, friends, a commander and staff
who can help.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

I have been thinking about this some since it was first posted and have reread it numerous times.  And this is just my opinion and thoughts.

Pulsar it is admirable for you to want to provide the documents to the NCOs in your unit, but as NCOs they should know where to find it and how to obtain it.  As as NCO even a cadet NCO they should know how to fish within the program and be teaching the cadet airmen how to fish. 

In this day of age where kids are reliant on technology and can figure out most issues easily with it can't figure out how to open a .PDF file I don't find plausible.  Sounds like your NCOs want a handout and want you to do the work for them.  MAKE THEM WORK, to find the solution and correct it. 

You will be better off and so will they.  You can download the guide and print it for them or better yet have them do it.  Simply because NHQ has changed what books they will send out now does not mean that those who are in those grades are entitled to have them sent to them. 

MSG Mac

I just checked E services and the Cadet Staff Handbook  is not listed on the Materials Request form, and if I recall correctly, when it was the maximum order was  3. I would suggest units produce CD's for their new members containing all the pubs and unit specific information. Puts the onus of printing on the member, cost about 20 cents per disk, saves a fortune in printing, and can be updated as needed.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 29, 2013, 08:41:48 PM
I just checked E services and the Cadet Staff Handbook  is not listed on the Materials Request form, and if I recall correctly, when it was the maximum order was  3. I would suggest units produce CD's for their new members containing all the pubs and unit specific information. Puts the onus of printing on the member, cost about 20 cents per disk, saves a fortune in printing, and can be updated as needed.

Why not simply a link to the pubs website?

Replicating things locally almost guarantees members will use outdated versions.  If they can read a CD, they can get to pubs.

"That Others May Zoom"