College Degree =/= leadership

Started by RogueLeader, November 20, 2013, 09:40:52 PM

Garibaldi

Quote from: a2capt on November 24, 2013, 10:07:01 PM
As far as a high school diploma, I have yet to ever encounter anyplace that needed actual proof that one exists.
Everywhere I've seen the question ones word for it was all that was required.

I've applied to a couple companies that wanted to see one.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

The few jobs I had to fill out paperwork on, GED/HS Diploma was a question you checked yes for and moved on.

SARDOC

Quote from: a2capt on November 24, 2013, 10:07:01 PM
As far as a high school diploma, I have yet to ever encounter anyplace that needed actual proof that one exists.
Everywhere I've seen the question ones word for it was all that was required.

I currently work for a Federal Contractor doing background investigations... I frequently go to high schools and colleges to verify education.

ol'fido

As a commander, I seldom notice the grade of the person I'm dealing with other than when their promotion time comes around. I don't deal with officers or NCO's( and I do have NCO's in my group). I deal with Senior Members. I have had non-prior service members who have no higher education become some of the best CAP members I have ever dealt with. I have had others who were not only field grade CAP members but also simultaneously USAF field grade officers that I have basically had to fire.

The idea that one needs to be college graduate in order to be a CAP officer seems to me to be an attempt to objectively categorize people by things you can put down on paper. While this can be an indicator in the larger institution of CAP as a whole, when you are dealing with people week after week for years in local units, you tend to know who your "go to guys" are and who your "Colonel Blimps" are without having to check their diploma.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2013, 09:00:43 PM
Quote from: Ned on November 24, 2013, 05:58:59 PMIf it were really just about filling the org chart we could eliminate the GED requirement and reach out to some additional members.

A high school diploma is still considered the minimum requirement to function in society, and is funded by society..  A college degree isn't, even a little.

Now you're arguing just to argue.  You don't even believe that. 

Let's see if I can quote a wise man:

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2013, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 21, 2013, 04:45:00 PMToday's Bachelor is closer to a 1950's AA or even HSD, today's Master closer to a 1930s-50s Bachelor.

Which all adds up to - requiring a degree gets you a 22-24 year old with the relative broad knowledge and maturity of a 1930s-1950s 18-20 year old with a HSD or 2 years of college.

Boy I wish I could disagree with this, but I can't.

As noted here many times, colleges these days have to teach basic math just to get kids up to freshman level, and we've seen
some of the magic spelling and grammar ability here.

QuoteTherefore a requirement for a high school diploma or equivalent is appropriate, college degree isn't.

However since a high school diploma isn't required to be a member, only for officer appointment, there's already no issue with filling the org chart with
people who haven't completed even that level of education.

Except that not even a high school diploma is required for officer status; a GED will suffice.  See CAPR 35-5 and KB #478.

And if a high school diploma is worth far less than if was in the 1930s through the 1950s, what do you suppose a GED is worth today comparatively?

Again, the point of this discussion is to try to determine if CAP would benefit from setting our educational standards for officership a little higher than a GED. 

Panache

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 24, 2013, 05:27:08 PM
In addition to raising the bar to becoming a CAP officer, I would propose that we move away from the expectation that everyone who joins CAP should become an officer.

+1.  I'm still of the firm belief that only those in command and higher-level (Group and higher) staff officer positions should hold grades of 2nd Lieutenant and higher.

Flying Pig

If I rejoin, I think I'll just wear my ribbons!  :) 

SARDOC

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 25, 2013, 02:11:23 AM

You might want to wear pants too.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: SARDOC on November 25, 2013, 02:26:22 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on November 25, 2013, 02:11:23 AM
You might want to wear pants too.

And a shirt to put your ribbons on.  ;)

Flying Pig

I fully intend to follow the CPPT guidelines