Suggestion for IFR training materials?

Started by IAV8, August 18, 2013, 04:40:21 PM

IAV8

I'm going to take the next step and get my IFR and perhaps a commercial rating also.  I've had my private cert. for 12 years now and I know that there are new and better ways to study with all the tech out there.  I would love to read about any products that you have used and would recommend.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to write back.
Capt. Donnelly

a2capt

X-Plane and/or FSX. If you can actually fly the thing, as twitchy as it is, with sole reference to the instruments, and just a little bit of windscreen showing to finally land, that's a big help.

IAV8

Been a fan if Microsoft flight sim's for a long time now.  Just started reading up on X-Plane and seems to be a good system also.  Thanks for the advice.
Capt. Donnelly

SunDog

I used the King course, and MS Flight Sim, to work on my instrument ( 2009) and it they worked well for me.

You might check local FBO's and try some training in the new Redbird simulators, if there us one near you, once you get the basics down. Very effective training, both initial and for recurrency.

Have fun!

IAV8

I was looking at the king software and I noticed Mrs. King has not changed her hair style since the company began.  Just an observation!
;)
Capt. Donnelly

PHall

Quote from: Donnelly on August 18, 2013, 08:04:18 PM
I was looking at the king software and I noticed Mrs. King has not changed her hair style since the company began.  Just an observation!
;)

You actually paid attention to her looks?    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

SJFedor

Quote from: a2capt on August 18, 2013, 05:06:25 PM
X-Plane and/or FSX. If you can actually fly the thing, as twitchy as it is, with sole reference to the instruments, and just a little bit of windscreen showing to finally land, that's a big help.

With FSX, you can adjust your control sensitivity via either the settings panel, or actually digging into the aircraft.cfg and editing the control surface numbers (not nearly as hard as it sounds).

In addition to FSX (FS9 actually, when I was doing my instrument), hop onto VATSIM.net, some good air traffic control so you can work on your radio work.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SunDog

I was remebering that I did a lot of my IFR training at night, on weekdays - my Instructor and I had day jobs, and that was best timing for us. It was winter, as well, and weird as it seems, being under the hood at night was easier for me - maybe less peripheral vision distractions? Could just be me, but you might try some instrument dual at night, see if it suits you?

Good weather weekends puts you in a lot of traffic some places - and the merging of aluminum prospects go up. We also found "big" airport controllers were very accomadating, if you don't show up during their "rush hours". BWI was particularly friendly later in the evenings. Give a big airport tower and/or approach facility a phone call, and they'll let you know when is good. Usually nice folks.

Flying in the DC/Baltimore area, particularly in the SFRA and FRZ, might have given me a leg up. You're basically squawking and talking like IFR traffic all the time anyway.

It might help to spend some time flying in controlled airspace a bit, if you aren't doing that now, just to get your expectations in line with the actuality. We didn't use a CAP airplane (too many hoops), but if you can use one, they're usually more than adequate. You will want to use an airplane with an IFR GPS - and sometimes the CAP databases are't current. Ask the sqdn MO - someone MAY get it updated for you.

Hope this helps. . .

Critical AOA

Quote from: PHall on August 18, 2013, 11:27:37 PM
Quote from: Donnelly on August 18, 2013, 08:04:18 PM
;)

You actually paid attention to her looks?    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

So you are saying that you'd have to wear foggles to shoot that approach?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

The latest edition of the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook is pretty good, actually.  After you've read that, read the Instrument Procedures Handbook. Both are downloadable from the FAA website. 

There's also good info to be had from the Air Force instrument flying manuals; there are some decent practice drills for basic attitude instrument practice in there.

IFR is a mental exercise in maintaining positional awareness, so using a PC sim is certainly useful as long as you're cognizant of their limitations.   I prefer X-Plane as its instruments seem to operate more smoothly than MSFS.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SunDog

Quote from: SarDragon on August 21, 2013, 11:16:19 PM
CAP does In-Flight Refueling?  >:D
;D

I really wanted to once, after a 6.0 hour high bird. . .we kept looking at the endurance data, and toward the end we crept over a few miles, to be overhead an airport! We dipped the tanks afterwards, and the C172 had burned just what Cessna said it would. That was kinda comforting really. But that was a long time at 9,500' without " facilities".

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: SunDog on August 22, 2013, 05:08:11 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 21, 2013, 11:16:19 PM
CAP does In-Flight Refueling?  >:D
;D

I really wanted to once, after a 6.0 hour high bird. . .we kept looking at the endurance data, and toward the end we crept over a few miles, to be overhead an airport! We dipped the tanks afterwards, and the C172 had burned just what Cessna said it would. That was kinda comforting really. But that was a long time at 9,500' without " facilities".

That's a long flight!!!  How much fuel did you have left?

SunDog

. . . he casually asked, in open forum, expecting the guilty to be lulled. . .Fuel remaining was at least one hour, based on normal cruise power settings. : ) And it was day, VFR.

Seriously, I don't recall the specific numbers. The aircraft was a C172P with extended range tanks. And skylight windows in the overhead. We leaned as apprpriate; I may recall imperfectly, but I think we kept the RPM on the book figures for max endurance, and finished with a little cushion above minimum fuel.

The fuel burn was just what Cessna said it would be. . .

BHartman007

I had a King Schools kit for VFR, and really liked it, so I just bought their IFR kit, too. I'm happy with it so far!

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets