Main Menu

CAP vs. Coast Guard Aux

Started by SpookyDude, June 24, 2013, 10:44:53 PM

antdetroitwallyball

Quote from: Archer on July 26, 2013, 05:08:20 PM
Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on July 25, 2013, 05:21:49 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on July 24, 2013, 11:42:18 PM
I did research for 3 months on CAP and USCGAUX. I can tell you, round these parts, the CGAUX didn't really do much, esp when I called the local Flottillas and asked them questions, I was not impressed with there answers. I contacted the local CAP, which was closer also, they told me to show up, gave me the code to the gate, etc. I was looking for certain things, CAP offered it

This is an interesting point you bring up. I agree with you that some flotillas (AUX equivalent to your CAP squadrons) are rather curmudgeon-y in the sense that you really have to put a lot of effort into getting started into the CGAUX. I too, find this aspect to be regretable. It took a lot of me doing my own homework and making phone calls on my own behalf. The crazy thing is, that once you are in the CGAUX, you can really just blaze your own path. I got my uniform, showed up at a station and said, "What can I do, and how do I get started?" The active duty CG has little idea about how the aux works, but they do know that they can put the auxies through the same training routines as all of thier active duty people. So they do. The big thing with the CG is that they don't teach their enlisted people ANYTHING at boot camp. They teach everything at the unit. So to the Coast Guard, training an auxiliarist is the SAME PROCESS as training an E-2/E-3. The integration is wonderfull. They give me a military email address and computer access so I can do the job. I even have my own berthing at the STA when I work there on weekends, and they cover the cost of my meals in the galley. I've even had opportunities to get underway with the Canadian coast guard on their ships.

Perhaps what the CGAUX would do well to do, would be to take a lesson from CAP in terms of recruitment and personnel management..

If you don't mind sharing, where do did put in your time with the Orange that allowed you to work with Canadian Coast Guard? I'd love an opportunity to do that.

The station I work shares a border with Canada. As a result, we often end up doing a lot of joint missions together. I was ask to work as an assist to an active duty E-7 for a week aboard one of the Canadian's new Hero-Class response cutters for a week. The two of us (myself and the E-7) were underway with the Canuks for a international relations mission....

Because I work very closely with the active duty, you end up meeting people who know people, and who have connections. It was a pretty cool experience...