Main Menu

CAP 160

Started by Joystick, June 17, 2013, 03:01:28 PM

Joystick

Hi,
I will be going to Encampment soon and I am required to bring CAPFORM 160, 161, and 163 with me.
My question is about CAPFORM 163.
How detailed should I fill it out. Should I just write things that could effect me in Encampment?
For example, "Nasal stuffiness". Yes I get a stuffy nose when I'm sick, but I don't have it now, should I just check no? And also I broke my leg once when I was little, but it is perfectly fine now. Should I still check yes? How detailed should I fill the form?

a2capt

If the form asks "have you had these symptoms" then answer them.

...just got back from an encampment, one case in particular could have been avoided had the cadet not figured "I have not had this in a long time.." and not even answered the question, only to have been transported to the hospital.

A lot of stuff is environmental, and encampment is a major change.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Contrail on June 17, 2013, 03:01:28 PM
Hi,
I will be going to Encampment soon and I am required to bring CAPFORM 160, 161, and 163 with me.
My question is about CAPFORM 163.
How detailed should I fill it out. Should I just write things that could effect me in Encampment?
For example, "Nasal stuffiness". Yes I get a stuffy nose when I'm sick, but I don't have it now, should I just check no? And also I broke my leg once when I was little, but it is perfectly fine now. Should I still check yes? How detailed should I fill the form?

What they are looking for is a recurrence of things. If you broke your leg, and do something that might cause you to break it again, they need to know. Nasal stuffiness could be an indication of a sinus infection, allergies, or a cold.

Also, something can AFFECT you causing an EFFECT.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 17, 2013, 07:10:17 PM
Also, something can AFFECT you causing an EFFECT.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Garibaldi-

Tell me how is this form to give any information that a physician cannot find it on his own.

Since these forms have to be or should be handled in a confidential manner, that is locked, by the time the person in that activity is moved to the hospital, may not be time enough to find that copy.

By the time a member has been admitted to a hospital, there is enough time for the activity officers to have contacted their parents or family members. Who can provide that info anyway. Also that same info is asked on a cadet's application. If required, why not send a photocopy of the original application?

And it can be used in a negative way. If information on a cadet's application and this form do not match, someone may decide the cadet lied on his initial application and thus 2b, even if the discrepancy may be a mistake and not intentional.

And at an activity, the level required of Health Services Officers and medical staff is not to treat but so-called "mommy care." Are the HSO's roles going to be more involved? If yes, I see this valuable. If not, why bother?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Joystick

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I got the general idea of what to put down. Yes, and it is affect. You'd think I would know that after studying hard in English for my ACT. ::)

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyer333555 on June 17, 2013, 07:38:55 PM
Garibaldi-

Tell me how is this form to give any information that a physician cannot find it on his own.

Since these forms have to be or should be handled in a confidential manner, that is locked, by the time the person in that activity is moved to the hospital, may not be time enough to find that copy.

By the time a member has been admitted to a hospital, there is enough time for the activity officers to have contacted their parents or family members. Who can provide that info anyway. Also that same info is asked on a cadet's application. If required, why not send a photocopy of the original application?

And it can be used in a negative way. If information on a cadet's application and this form do not match, someone may decide the cadet lied on his initial application and thus 2b, even if the discrepancy may be a mistake and not intentional.

And at an activity, the level required of Health Services Officers and medical staff is not to treat but so-called "mommy care." Are the HSO's roles going to be more involved? If yes, I see this valuable. If not, why bother?

Flyer

I never said it was to be used in any way at all other than to give an idea of what a cadet might have to stop doing or reduce doing. If he had broken his leg as a younger kid, doing something like, oh, I don't know, running an obstacle course or going up a climbing wall might exacerbate the issue. I don't think the form is useful in my opinion, because like you said, the attending physician can get the info from the parents. Digging one out of a pile of a hundred or so while the cadet is being run to the ER is a waste of time. By the time the form is located and run to whoever needed it, a phone call to the family doctor or the parents could have been made. Indemnity maybe? Covering the Corporate butt? I don't know.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things