Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 09:25:32 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: Locked "aged" threads
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Locked "aged" threads  (Read 4023 times)
whatevah
Administrator

my personal website, yo!
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »

The forum will be locking older threads that have not been replied to in 6-12 months (depending on which board it's in). This is, in part, to reduce the number of "necroposts" when somebody replies to a 5 year old post with "me too!".

If you have a reply that you really want to add to an older thread that has been locked due to age, feel free to PM one of the moderators to request that it be unlocked or post a new thread with a link to the original post.  We'll either merge the threads or let it ride as a new topic, depending on the content.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin
BillB
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »

This is both a good and bad idea. Good because a thread that old is probably so out of date as far as regulations or policies go as to be worthless. Bad in that CAPTalk has a continuing group of new members that are unaware of what previous posts have commented on. But this is an administrative decision that in reality does not affect the average reader.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104
Garibaldi

Unit: SER-GA-045

Sandy Springs Cadet Squadron
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »

Can we also lock any and all threads with ABU in them? Or create a filter that automatically deletes any new thread with ABU in the subject?  >:D
You can't take the sky from me. Also, I can kill you with my brain. No power in the 'verse can stop me.
lordmonar
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »

Bill.

If a thread is locked and you have some new relevant information......all you have to do is start a new thread and reference the old one.

Locking dead threads keeps the neubs and trolls from just necroing some really old stuff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP
Pacific Region
lordmonar
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »

Can we also lock any and all threads with ABU in them? Or create a filter that automatically deletes any new thread with ABU in the subject?  >:D
Or you can just ignore them..
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP
Pacific Region
Luis R. Ramos

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »

Bill-

I do not think that locking a thread will prevent those new members from searching or reading them, just prevents them from posting. Heck, sometimes you will find a new poster posting new messages on something that has been opened a few months! Or soit seems...

Garibaldi-

Hear Hear!  :clap:

Flyer

Squadron Administrative Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer
LATORRECA
Forum Regular

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »

Some of the old treads can help others to find the answers we are looking for. Plus adding to a tread may not solve anything it actually confuse people. Beating around the bushes. I agree to Lock them.
    I been around for the past 5 years. Looking at tread and answer to things. I start posting and some of this tread are just the same old things.

Ohh yes erase all the ABU's postings. I agree with that.  Garibaldi :clap:

S/V
Gunz
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: Locked "aged" threads