Main Menu

First time Encampment

Started by Blackjack, April 15, 2013, 06:40:18 PM

Blackjack

Hello guys, I am going to to Encampment for the first time at Camp Hinsch/Fort Campbell for TN Wing, any tips or warnings for the rookie?

C/CMSgt Marshall Bellizzi
SER-TN-173
MRO, GTM3

Eclipse

Pack and bring only what is on the packing list.

Be on time, early if you can, but do not report before you are authorized.

Make sure your boots are fully worn in and fit properly.

If you have uniform issues or questions, take care of them BEFORE the encampment.

Prepare the week before by eating well, getting enough sleep, and staying hydrated.

Understand that Wed or Thursday may be a low point, especially if you've never been away from home before, and push through it.

If you're in a good place, or have some skill well in hand, look around and find someone in your flight that needs help.
"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers..."

Make sure you eat well, stay hydrated, and get as much rest as possible during the week.

Embrace the experience, learn from it, and make notes for when it's your turn to lead.
Take the time to "be there".  It will fly by so fast you won't believe it.

There is no better experience in CAP, cadet or Senior, then your first encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

DO:

Have a good attitude
Try to have some fun
Make friends
Keep hydrated
Memorize your basic cadet knowledge, like the cadet oath, motto, key dates in CAP history, your chain of command as it pertains to encampment, etc. Some even have you memorize the 12 general orders.
Have your uniform(s) complete BEFORE you leave for encampment. This means all insignia, patches, nameplates/nametapes, grade insignia, and hat device. Make SURE you double and triple check EVERYTHING when you pack. If you THINK you didn't pack it, CHECK. I can't count how many times a cadet has sworn they packed their belt or hat or socks only to find these items are mysteriously missing.

DO NOT:
Bring your laptop/iPad/cell phone, etc. These may or may not be confiscated or stolen. And you will have very little time to use them in any case.
Expect to have the full-on military basic training experience.
Bring contraband items.
Give up.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Blackjack

Thanks to both of you that should help a me a lot. I'm Used to being away from home just never for an encampment.
SER-TN-173
MRO, GTM3

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
Pack and bring only what is on the packing list.

Be on time, early if you can, but do not report before you are authorized.

Make sure your boots are fully worn in and fit properly.

If you have uniform issues or questions, take care of them BEFORE the encampment.

Prepare the week before by eating well, getting enough sleep, and staying hydrated.

Understand that Wed or Thursday may be a low point, especially if you've never been away from home before, and push through it.

If you're in a good place, or have some skill well in hand, look around and find someone in your flight that needs help.
"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers..."

Make sure you eat well, stay hydrated, and get as much rest as possible during the week.

Embrace the experience, learn from it, and make notes for when it's your turn to lead.
Take the time to "be there".  It will fly by so fast you won't believe it.

There is no better experience in CAP, cadet or Senior, then your first encampment.

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 15, 2013, 07:01:52 PM
DO:

Have a good attitude
Try to have some fun
Make friends
Keep hydrated
Memorize your basic cadet knowledge, like the cadet oath, motto, key dates in CAP history, your chain of command as it pertains to encampment, etc. Some even have you memorize the 12 general orders.
Have your uniform(s) complete BEFORE you leave for encampment. This means all insignia, patches, nameplates/nametapes, grade insignia, and hat device. Make SURE you double and triple check EVERYTHING when you pack. If you THINK you didn't pack it, CHECK. I can't count how many times a cadet has sworn they packed their belt or hat or socks only to find these items are mysteriously missing.

DO NOT:
Bring your laptop/iPad/cell phone, etc. These may or may not be confiscated or stolen. And you will have very little time to use them in any case.
Expect to have the full-on military basic training experience.
Bring contraband items.
Give up.

FlyTiger77

--Ensure you are safety current when you arrive.
--Listen more than you talk.
--Have fun. It is a regulatory requirement. (See CAPR 52-16 para 1-3(e))
--Make both your squadron and group commander look good!

You should have a great time. I spoke to the encampment commander at command call over the weekend. He is working hard to put on a high-quality event.

I'll try to get up there to see y'all sometime during the week.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Blackjack

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 15, 2013, 07:33:23 PM
--Ensure you are safety current when you arrive.
--Listen more than you talk.
--Have fun. It is a regulatory requirement. (See CAPR 52-16 para 1-3(e))
--Make both your squadron and group commander look good!

You should have a great time. I spoke to the encampment commander at command call over the weekend. He is working hard to put on a high-quality event.

I'll try to get up there to see y'all sometime during the week.

Thanks. I can't wait, it should be a great experience.
SER-TN-173
MRO, GTM3

MajorPayne

I went to my first cadet encampment last year at Camp San Louis Obispo. It was the greatest experience of my life and I learned more about CAP and what it means to be a member of a team in that week that in my entire time in CAP. And now, a few suggestions:

• As stated, prepare before you arrive to be tired, confused, and, yes, a little scared. (I say confused because you have to adapt to the environment at hand)
  • Push through the first few days. They will be the hardest. After that is easy sailing and you begin to have fun.

• Always lend a hand to your fellow cadets. If one of you fails, YOU ALL FAIL >:D
  • Follow the directions and standards at hand to the letter. (That means no short cuts with bunks or uniforms)
[/list]

These are just a few things that I noticed from my encampment, and I'm sure by the time you're done, you'll have your own list. But either way, you will have a blast and will never forget the amazing experience you had and the great people you will have the privilege of meeting ;)
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

MajorPayne

^^

Sorry for the messed up numbered list. First time using that function for a post. :-[
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Huey Driver

I don't think I saw it on this thread yet, but I'd recommend also banging out some extra PT leading up to the encampment.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Blackjack

Quote from: JerseyCadet on April 15, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
I don't think I saw it on this thread yet, but I'd recommend also banging out some extra PT leading up to the encampment.

Trust me I have. Cut my mile by 2:00
SER-TN-173
MRO, GTM3

C/MSGT Montez

Get boots that are quick lace. I took my corcorans for my encampment. Worst idea ever..

Took me ages to get laced and I always got yelled at for it.
C/MSGT Antonio Montez
Northern Desert Composite Squadron

Jaison009

Have fun. I got started my journey in CAP as a cadet at Fort Cambell Composite Squadron, GLR-KY-216.

Quote from: Blackjack on April 15, 2013, 06:40:18 PM
Hello guys, I am going to to Encampment for the first time at Camp Hinsch/Fort Campbell for TN Wing, any tips or warnings for the rookie?

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: C/MSGT Montez on April 16, 2013, 03:59:05 AM
Get boots that are quick lace. I took my corcorans for my encampment. Worst idea ever..

Protip: Don't unlace them.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

a2capt

While I'm a believer in side zippers, I can lace up those jump boots pretty darn quick. It has to do with the way you take 'em off, and the type of laces.

Everyones into 550 cord, it doesn't work.

Get nice slick laces, when you untie it, grab them from below the first loop. Pull as far as they go. (You did tie the knot in the end, right?)

With your thumb and pointer finger still holding onto the pulled laces at their middle, repeat that step, pulling on the laces beneath the second loop, and then the third, forth.. fifth.

You'll end up with pretty evenly spaced slack. Remove foot and place it aside.

When you go to use it again, grab tongue and rear, open wide, insert foot, pull up the rear, pull up the tongue, and then grab the two lace ends and pull. With your leg stretched, while pulling, straighten and bend your foot a few times, and that will snug up the laces really fast. Make a quick pass under/over like a knot start, wrap around leg once, and then tie, and shove the ends in, going around the top opening.

I could have done both of them, off, on again, and then tied, in the time it took to write that with time to spare. 550 cord is great, hard kewl stuff, but you can keep it in your pack.

The Infamous Meerkat

'Tis quite simple, once one knows the procedure... takes me all of thirty seconds on a slow day.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

TJT__98

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 23, 2013, 01:59:03 AM

I had boots that weren't quick lace once. They fit perfectly, took forever to lace, and I couldn't get my foot in or out without unlacing them.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

J2H

And if you have long laces, tie little knots towards the ends of the laces so that if you do need to pull out some slack, you don't pull the laces out
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

C/MSGT Montez

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 23, 2013, 01:59:03 AM

I couldn't fit my foot in otherwise
C/MSGT Antonio Montez
Northern Desert Composite Squadron