New Commander's specialty track

Started by arajca, April 10, 2013, 04:55:52 PM

arajca

As noted in the April BoG agenda thread, the new Commander's Specialty Track has been released. It is CAPP 222.

An interesting note is the program has a "jump-start" provision for service performed prior to the release of the track. This is a one-time option based on length of commander (or deputy/vice commander) service.

Also, this track excludes NCOs as one requirement for the Technician rating is to be at least a Captain.

A nice provision is the allow service as a Deputy Commander to count for the Technician rating, and Vice Commander to count for Senior rating.

Now for the mandatory uniform item - no specialty badge has been described.

NIN

Quote from: arajca on April 10, 2013, 04:55:52 PM

Already is one.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Al Sayre

Looks like if your wing doesn't have Groups, the best you can do on a jump start is Technician, even though the Senior allows for "3 years command and staff experience at any level within wing or region"...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

arajca

Quote from: NIN on April 10, 2013, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: arajca on April 10, 2013, 04:55:52 PM

Already is one.

That is for current squadron commanders. With a star is for current group commanders. It denotes position, not progression. If you step down from squadron command and move to group vice commander, no more wearing the badge.

NIN

Quote from: arajca on April 10, 2013, 05:23:47 PM
That is for current squadron commanders. With a star is for current group commanders. It denotes position, not progression. If you step down from squadron command and move to group vice commander, no more wearing the badge.

IIRC, you wear the badge on the pocket/below your nametag following your command tour. I might be wrong, there have been changes since I retired in 2009.   There is a badge for command.  No need for another specialty insignia that looks like it was designed with Microsoft clip-art.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Nope. The Air Force does that, CAP does not. Ref CAPM 39-1, Table 6-2, Line 10. Current commander's only. Wing and region commanders get to keep wearing their badges after stepping down.

PS. Nothing in the ICLs changes that.

a2capt

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on April 10, 2013, 05:32:48 PM

IIRC, you wear the badge on the pocket/below your nametag following your command tour. I might be wrong, there have been changes since I retired in 2009.   There is a badge for command.  No need for another specialty insignia that looks like it was designed with Microsoft clip-art.
I made the suggestion to the NB a few years back that we do it like the USAF....but it got shot down....I think there is a thread on it (either here or at CS)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Please give me your opinion on this...

Member A was Deputy Commander for Squadron ACS for two years. Then moves to another squadron and other duties. Then joins Squadron BCS as Deputy Commander. Leaves CAP for a few years. Then comes back to other squadrons and no duties as Squadron Commander or Deputy Squadron Commander.

When does the "Jump Start" apply? Is it only if he is appointed Commander or Deputy Commander of Squadron XXXCS?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

CAPP 222 states in page 5 that:
QuoteSuccessful completion of the Technician level prepares the trainee for command at the squadron or group level (if applicable).

Page 13 states that one of the service requirements for the Technician Rating is:
Quote1 year staff experience at the squadron, group, wing, or region level (service as a deputy commander for seniors or deputy commander for cadets preferred).

That means that you don't have to be a commander to enroll in this specialty track. Because it is meant as a preparation to be a commander, I can see this being used in the future as another tool in the selection process for subordinate commanders.

And as mentioned on a previous post, there's no correlation between the Command Badge (awarded to commanders) and the Command Specialty Track. I suppose NHQ may decide to establish a specialty badge at a later time, but there's no guarantee. Since one of the requirements to enroll in the specialty track is to have Level II, trainees in this specialty would already have a Technician Rating in another specialty track.

Page 29 states as a requirement to jump-start to Technician Rating that the:
QuoteMember has successfully served at least 1 year as a squadron commander or squadron deputy commander prior to 30 April 2013.

The one question I have is: does being a deputy commander for cadets or seniors for a year meet the "deputy commander" requirement, since there's a separate duty assignment as deputy commander in eServices?

NIN

Quote from: arajca on April 10, 2013, 05:37:28 PM
Nope. The Air Force does that, CAP does not. Ref CAPM 39-1, Table 6-2, Line 10. Current commander's only. Wing and region commanders get to keep wearing their badges after stepping down.

PS. Nothing in the ICLs changes that.

Got it. My bad. Although, I think perhaps I have some intel on changes in the pipeline...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 10, 2013, 06:30:05 PM
The one question I have is: does being a deputy commander for cadets or seniors for a year meet the "deputy commander" requirement, since there's a separate duty assignment as deputy commander in eServices?

Yes, CD is CD.

From the looks of things, I qualify for Master out of the gate (have to check on substantiating a stint as CD), and the skills
indicated and required are pretty much what a unit CC needs to do his job.

However, unless there is some pressure to actually require this rating to be a CC, I don't think it's going to make much difference, and frankly I don't see it ever being required to assume command.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Unless I missed it, there is no requirement to successfully complete the UCC in order to progress in the specialty track.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 10, 2013, 06:58:56 PM
Unless I missed it, there is no requirement to successfully complete the UCC in order to progress in the specialty track.
Page 12, required for Technician.  So is TLC.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on April 10, 2013, 06:59:47 PM

I stand corrected. I'm going to blame it on...well, never mind.  :D

JeffDG

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 10, 2013, 07:02:49 PM

That's OK, if you didn't make mistakes, you'd be commanding Group I.  :D

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on April 10, 2013, 06:22:49 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 10, 2013, 05:32:48 PM

I made the suggestion to the NB a few years back that we do it like the USAF....but it got shot down....I think there is a thread on it (either here or at CS)

I think they should reconsider it. I think it was shot down in 2010. The reason was you got the Command Service Ribbon for Command and you want to wear the badge too?

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2013, 06:48:17 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 10, 2013, 06:30:05 PM

Yes, CD is CD.

From the looks of things, I qualify for Master out of the gate (have to check on substantiating a stint as CD), and the skills
indicated and required are pretty much what a unit CC needs to do his job.

However, unless there is some pressure to actually require this rating to be a CC, I don't think it's going to make much difference, and frankly I don't see it ever being required to assume command.

+1

Looks like I got a Master out the gate too   8)

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on April 10, 2013, 07:05:57 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 10, 2013, 07:02:49 PM

That's OK, if you didn't make mistakes, you'd be commanding Group I.  :D

Wing staff members should be seen and not heard...    ;)

Luis R. Ramos

Since the last page talking about "Fast tracking" does not mention UCC or TLC I tend to read that as UCC or TLC are not required if you are "Fast-tracking." Am I wrong?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer