In-Flight NCOs?

Started by horseraider12, April 07, 2013, 10:01:43 PM

a2capt

Hazing? Absolutely not. Not even in the slightest.

Miscommunication, disorganization, lack of understanding their role/job/responsibilities, piss-poor delegation, lack of follow up.. all kinds of things.

But not hazing.

That's a serious allegation and a potential tool for destruction, while not meant to be, it certainly tends to play out that way. Be careful where you rattle that sabre.

Just because someone "doesn't like you", doesn't mean they're right and your wrong, or you're wrong and they're right. Work on your next promotion in the best way possible given the circumstances and opportunities offered. Make sure the CAP Form 50 is used in your review boards, document any reason they say you are not elligible for promotion. When they say participation, staffing, duties, be ready with dates, times and specifics as to when you were refused, passed over, or otherwise denied the ability to perform.

Performance now is not based on a flub two years ago, though certainly that can come into play, if it's a legit thing. Sounds to me like, through your side of the story, you got it handed to you for simply showing interest, and it was over your head too. That's failure all around. They are just as much guilty. You don't say, but if you didn't, you should have stepped up and said "I can't do this (alone) or at all.."

But hazing it's not.

Eclipse

Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on April 09, 2013, 07:35:04 PM
I just don't know how to approach it without being rude, he doesn't really show it outside of passin me vet for leadership positions. When would I bring it up?

Ask him for a meeting or discussion, outside of normal meeting hours - involve another leader and/or your parents.

Don't make a huge deal, just tell him there's something important you would like to discuss and clear the air on.

"That Others May Zoom"

That Anonymous Guy

I know it's not hazing now, and maybe I'll arrange a meeting with him. It's just that I've changed and done so much since I was basically forced into leading that team and he still holds it against me and won't drop it.

a2capt

Perhaps .. because he's afraid of you now, that you will make him look bad. ;-) So while he's got the power, he'll hold you down.

Black Knight

Its ok to be an in-flight NCO. I am a C/SMSgt, soon promoting to C/CMSgt. I'm also the fastest at promoting. I was a flight sergeant, but I got put back as an in-flight to give a C/SSgt experience. And I've been told many times that Im a model cadet and outstanding. Your opportunity to be on staff will come soon, as long as you work for it.
C/CMSgt Millson
First Sergeant
Rome City School District Cadet Squadron
NER-NY-801

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: a2capt on April 09, 2013, 08:15:16 PM
Perhaps .. because he's afraid of you now, that you will make him look bad. ;-) So while he's got the power, he'll hold you down.
So what am I, cadet Skywalker or something? Lol

jimmydeanno

Our program is an experiment in leadership.  We are supposed to give cadets leadership challenges appropriate to their grade.  Giving a relatively new, low ranking cadet command of a team that he knows nothing about is a failure on the leadership's part, not the cadet.  While the cadet may have "failed" at the task, it wasn't an appropriate task.

Even so, if a cadet does fail at something, it shouldn't be something that holds them back forever, since it is a learning experience.  Where else can you make mistakes if not in a learning environment?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

That Anonymous Guy

Right and since my attempt at leading that team, I've become an NCO, graduated encampment and much more. Now he's signed us up or this years program without telling anyone.